Dont Bother doing class 1 (Meresyside)

Dont bother unless you got a solid job offer because I am sick to the back teeth of phoning companys even agenceys and getting the same answer min of 12months or 2years experience.

HTF you supposed to get any experience if no-one would give us a chance.

K.Adams:
Dont bother unless you got a solid job offer because I am sick to the back teeth of phoning companys even agenceys and getting the same answer min of 12months or 2years experience.

HTF you supposed to get any experience if no-one would give us a chance.

There have been quite a few posts like this from newbies around the UK recently.

It has never been easy to get that first foot on the ladder but I think the current economic situation has made it worse.

As, it seems, you only have to hold the licence for 2 years before being let in the door, then all I can suggest to those looking to go for it, is to get the licence 2 years before it is needed - daft, but that seems to be the way it is for some.

If I was going to get my LGV nowadays then I would research the local job market before parting with any money. Then, if I still wanted to get my LGV, I would stay in my current job, whatever that was, and perhaps try to get a day every other weekend as a bit of extra money and to gain a little experience.

The occasional shift done at the weekend might even pay for the licence over a 2 year period. For arguments sake, lets say I did 1 day a month for £100 a shift - that would soon build up over 24 months.

Once it got close to the 2 years of holding the licence, I would then seriously go for a full time LGV job.

I know not everyone is experiencing the ‘Brick wall’ but I would advise keeping all options open.

yeah i think its a insurance thing seems daft that you`l get employed after holding a licence two years with no exp at all. seems as if its a time issue not a exp issue as most think, to be honest k.adams i thought you were doing ok for work with your posts so far getting odd work here and there. keep at it pal

i agree Mate i’ve passed my class 2, 2 months ago and i wasn’t naive enough to think i would walk straight into a job, but i’ve tried agencies and i’m getting laughed at.
At first i thought i wasn’t selling myself as best as i could but no one will touch me. i am willing to work my days off which are weekends but still no agency will touch me, i’ve signed up to 4 not a sausage in return. think this has ben a big waste of time and money.

when i was looking into this apparently there was a massive shortage and with a few of me mates in the industry they also confirmed this but as the global market has worsened there isn’t much… i hope it gets better soon.

Hi Simod,

I have been a recruitment consultant for the past 8 years (not driving), and to be blunt, if a consultant cant make money of you then they wont bend over backwards for you … agencies are governed by what the client asks for - so if they want 12 months experience, they expect to get a driver with 12 months experience - as they are paying for a service from the agency… unless you have a really good consultant working for you, it will be hard… not saying it is the hard and fast rule, but consultants are under pressure to hit targets, so will go for the easy money everytime… ie - experience. They are basically pimps! (I have been called this many times)

its a absolute joke pal i got impression that do agency work part time to gain exp and they wont touch anyone with no experience (2 years usually) and im told to go direct to employers whos saying yeah we take new drivers but theres no work right now (some even waited for me to apply before saying this and then had cheek to offer temp work) so if we do need anyone we use agencies, i never thought it would be easy to get a job after passing but its pretty muchnear on impossible, think its the credit crunch

It may be the location or the people working for these agencies. In Stoke there seems to be plenty of work.

I passed my C in June and have had steady work since. I have 3 agencies fighting for my services in fact.

Am doing my C+E this week with my test on Tuesday and 2 of the agencies have sent me good luck texts, one even phoned me uplast night to see how I was getting on and said he has plenty of C+E work available when (or if) I pass.

They aint all bad.

jonah65:
It may be the location or the people working for these agencies. In Stoke there seems to be plenty of work.

I passed my C in June and have had steady work since. I have 3 agencies fighting for my services in fact.

Am doing my C+E this week with my test on Tuesday and 2 of the agencies have sent me good luck texts, one even phoned me uplast night to see how I was getting on and said he has plenty of C+E work available when (or if) I pass.

They aint all bad.

Liverpool and surrounding areas are poor, very poor for HGV work. Im speaking from experience. Agency’s are a total waste of space!!! The only one I got work from was Fleetmaster in Warrington.

You either need to change career(better option) or move area(thats what I did)

Good Luck

Jim

im finding they all will take new drivers no problem just that they say they aint really work for there own lads right now

bigcheese:
im finding they all will take new drivers no problem just that they say they aint really work for there own lads right now

they r right, there have been days were me an r drivers are all parked up at 1pm with no work !