Diesel

According to the Daily Mail, the price of Diesel could go up to £1.25 within a couple of months, due to the usual speculating spivs, but also due to VAT rising, 2p budget increase (last year) and probably another 2p in the next budget.

Hope this Cheer’s you all up.

Happy new year.

excellent news. i havn’t been across the water for a while, but this will change for sure.

The retail pump price which we’re paying for fuel in the UK has nothing to do with speculating spivs.That pump price of £1.00+ per litre is mostly made up of road fuel duty and Vat and the government gets even more VAT than the amount levied on the product itself by also charging VAT on the Duty.So the producers and the spivs get around 30p between them and the government takes the rest.But bolt a set of wings or rail wheels on the truck to make it fly or run on rails and you won’t pay any tax on the fuel at all.So would you still be complaining about ‘spivs’ if we could buy road fuel for around 30-40p per litre?, which is what they’d let us have the stuff for if the government were’nt using road transport as one of it’s main tax providers.

So the 40 or so tankers sitting off our coast full of oil, while the dealers “spivs” wait for the price to go up before bringing it ashore is not so they can make money, Oil is bought and sold in spot markets, so what your putting in your car might have through half a dozen owners, everyone taking a cut, my daughter works in the oil buisness and I can assure you that according to her, and she is very senior management, it is in fact over run with spiv’s out to rip everybody off.

Yes, oil tankers are anchored up worldwide, full of crude oil, and partially the reason is that the owners are waiting for oil prices to harden.

But when dozens of ocean-going ships are being chartered simply to be used as cheap warehousing, with most of the crew laid off, you have to wonder if the economy is working properly at the moment.

I personally expect wholesale fuel prices to fall sharply this year, although this will not, for the reasons mentioned, lower the pump price.

Blunder Man:
So the 40 or so tankers sitting off our coast full of oil, while the dealers “spivs” wait for the price to go up before bringing it ashore is not so they can make money, Oil is bought and sold in spot markets, so what your putting in your car might have through half a dozen owners, everyone taking a cut, my daughter works in the oil buisness and I can assure you that according to her, and she is very senior management, it is in fact over run with spiv’s out to rip everybody off.

It’s obvious that everyone’s taking a cut but if the ‘spivs’ who supply the product were that bright they’d sell the stuff in a place where they could take the type of 70p+ per litre cut which the British government takes on road fuel or for the whole £1.10 per litre not the cut they take here.But if you’re right about spivs then let’s see some figures including costs to drill for the stuff,refine it,and distribute it and what’s left over out of the £1.10 per litre pump price for those service providers and the ‘spivs’ after those costs and the duty and vat have been taken out.Spivs definitely but they’re all sitting in the house of commons not on oil tankers and rigs.

Blunder Man:
my daughter works in the oil buisness and I can assure you that according to her, and she is very senior management, it is in fact over run with spiv’s out to rip everybody off.

Does that mean she is out too rip us off too?? It’s a simple case of supply and demand, unfortunately we’re the mugs for relying on the stuff :unamused: There is an election looming, so this may have an impact on prices in the short term.

However, if you believe the Daily Mail, the world will end tomorrow anyway so I wouldn’t worry about fuel prices too much anyway! :laughing:

I think the OP means “Spivs” as in “Speculators” who buy and sell the oil on the derivatives market (like gold or other such commodities) in order to purely turn a profit for there greasy mits and do not even handle the oil and he’s right, these people distort the real world demand and cause problems for joe public, not that I wouldn’t be having some of “that” if I were in their shoes…

I was, of course, being facetious. However, it’s not just oil that these ‘middlemen’ have dabblings that bump up prices - It happens in all many other areas, driven purely by greed. Perhaps not as noticeable as oil, which is a commodity that we rely upon heavily at present.