Derv Theft on A1

In case this is of any use to anyone I thought I would post it.

I had a night out in a layby on the A1 North at Worksop last week, I woke in the morning to find someone had kindly lightened my truck by removing the contents of both my diesel tanks, they were even kind enough to put the caps back on after.

The Scania guy who brought me out some fuel said that it was commonin that area, just thought people might want to know, has anyone else had a problem there?

Did they knacker your locking fuel caps?

They used a screw driver or something to unlock them. They still lock but the lock barrel doesn’t need a key now

The whole Notts stretch of the A1 is becoming notorious for Lay by thefts.

Be warned and stay safe

Limestone Cowboy:
The whole Notts stretch of the A1 is becoming notorious for Lay by thefts.

Spot on. Anywhere between Grantham and Blyth and it’s highly likely you get your diesel pinched.

Read about THESE some time ago…never used them and our trucks don’t have them fitted. Views anyone?

Shrek:
Read about THESE some time ago…never used them and our trucks don’t have them fitted. Views anyone?

They probably stop siphoning, but anyone that really wants to steal your diesel will just put a hole in the tank and drain it.

We have them fitted to most of our vehicles and fuel theft is down to zero as a result. Ok, there will always be the unlucky few who have their tank stabbed or sender unit ripped off, but that’s actually quite rare, so it’s well worth getting an anti-syphon fitted.

Shrek:

I have one similar to that on my FH. A TISS one, whose boss is that nice man who, in either MT or CM, stated that fitting an anti-siphon device will stop most fuel theft as drivers will not steal their diesel if it means damage their own tanks. Or words to that effect. :unamused:

It’s a pain in the arse. When filling up more diesel gets splattered over the tank than ever before because you cannot get the filler nozzle deep enough into the tank.

I read in MCN that Sainsbury’s were to be applauded (see HERE) for fitting these devices to their fleet. I bet more diesel is spilt onto the roads from dripping off the tanks since they’ve had them fitted than there ever was before. :frowning:

all ours have anti syphon devices and thefts have been nil since fitting.
filling up is not at problem at our place because they dont have high speed pumps :frowning: .
had a mate of mine have is diesel swiped on the a1 southbound, second garage down from the m62.
you know, the one that had free parking overnight and now charges.
lets face it , most of the a1 has a problem. wether its diesel or load thefts. :imp:

My firm had two motors done last year on the stretch between Blyth and Five Lane Ends,both on the s/bound side.Boss said some kind of acid had been used to dissolve the lock barrel on one of them. Don’t know about the 2nd,as the cap was thrown away.Both motors had the tank on the n/s,so the scrotes are hidden from view of passing traffic.

Load theft isn’t really a problem for us. If they can get 1ton bulk bags of carrots off the trailer,then they can have them :laughing: :laughing:

if you look into the fields at a1 side you can see loads of tracks where the scroats come across to get to laybys
have heard they use 4x4 s with ibc’s on with a nice quiet pump and long hose

1000 L a night quite a good earner and its only gonna get worse

My very first night out after starting full time on my first driving job i was sent up to far side of hull to load straw parked in a layby went to sleep woke up in the morning jumped out and thought whats that smell took about 10 min to realise what had happend being as naive as i was then. Speak about knockin your confidence 2nd or 3rd day on the job and you have to ring the office up and tell em that sumone’s nicked the diesel thought i was goin to get sacked

got n/s tank done top side doncater on the a1 a year or so ago 500+ ltrs i reckon gone

Well at least thanks to the advertising campaign on The Jemery Whine show on Radio 2 today, all the scroats and low life that hadn’t thought of nicking fuel from vehicles had a pretty intensive course on how to do it properly :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It needed saying, but not three times :open_mouth:

Could admin :open_mouth: :laughing: please sort this out

Limestone Cowboy:
It needed saying, but not three times :open_mouth:

Could admin :open_mouth: :laughing: please sort this out

Done :laughing: :laughing: .
Keep your finger off that Submit button next time :open_mouth: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

what ya talking about?
were getting robbed every day, ■■■■ turpin of the labour party is robbing us blind.
seriously though - we all know what group of people it is robbing us of our fuel - members of the travelling community, with their untaxed vans, 4 wheel drives and tarmac dropside 7.5 tonners running around with no o licence and no waste transfer licence untouched by the law.

johnny:
what ya talking about?
were getting robbed every day, ■■■■ turpin of the labour party is robbing us blind.
seriously though - we all know what group of people it is robbing us of our fuel - members of the travelling community, with their untaxed vans, 4 wheel drives and tarmac dropside 7.5 tonners running around with no o licence and no waste transfer licence untouched by the law.

You are not allowed to say that J.

I tried to park in Newark truckstop recently and was told they were saving the back part of the parking for ■■■■■ travelers washed from their site because of the floods. When I complained about it they accused me of being racist :stuck_out_tongue:

johnny:
what ya talking about?

Travellers in Ireland have been known to get diesel from lorries parked outside drivers houses and haulage yards…

their latest venture is home heating oil :imp: schools are a major target…

gogs2006:

johnny:
what ya talking about?

Travellers in Ireland have been known to get diesel from lorries parked outside drivers houses and haulage yards…

their latest venture is home heating oil :imp: schools are a major target…

Indeed, around Southport lately none residential farm buildings have been targeted for gas oil. 1,000+ lts at a time have been taken so we’re not talking about a transit & a couple of 45 gallon drums.

As previously mentioned, these people are well organised with 7.5 tonners with IBC’s & fast pumps, nick 2,000 litres of derv a night between a couple of scum bags and they walk away with fuel that must be worth at least £500 a night each on the ‘black market’.

Ross.