Deciding which unit to buy

Im looking to buy a used tractor unit and ive been looking at an 03 scania 124 470, and ive heard there can be a lot of trouble with these , i was just wondering what everyone else thinks about them, thanks

all i know is prestons of potto wanted around the 460 bhp from a truck when they started renewing there fleet and they gave the 470 a miss and went for the 164 480, got to be a reason behind it

We have an 04 one which has done 889,000 km.
Recently had a bit of a scare with the injectors.
Non-repairable and £400 each with the seal kit.

Fortunately we were able to get away with new seal kits and
proper setting of all the clearances, though one is still a bit reluctant
on cold mornings.

The turbo went at about 800,000, I guess that’s not
unusual for any engine.

The wipers wipe half the cab, normal for a 4 series
Scania and ours is a Topliner, so it has knocked out
the front cab bushes.

Otherwise, it’s a really quiet running engine with plenty of
power and is doing 8 mpg over 50 km runs with half
town and half open road.

I understand it’s the same motor as the 420 but the different
fuel system and turbo compounding give it the extra 50 bhp.

Regards,
Nick

the 470 is not one of the best engines and if your looking at an 03 plate i would stear clear of v8s as well due to high repair costs !
if its scania you want i would go for the 420 and try to get as lower ks on the clock as poss these engines are good on fuel and you will get more truck for your money!

but a V8 thats been looked after will run forever

Thanks for the replies!
How many kms can you expect to get from one of these 470 engines given regular servicing, is there any point where they give up the ghost?

chaversdad:
but a V8 thats been looked after will run forever

thats quite true but how do you know when its an 03 plate and it will have done a fair shift the seller will say owt to get a sale
a mate of mine runs a 470 topliner 04 reg and its been nowt but problems…clutch,gearbox,turbo compound unit,diff,water pump,cab mounts,brake callipers,wheel bearings, clutch again,cab ram,oil in the water,
to name just a few! its done about 850000 ks and he wont have another!
moose

Why are you looking at a Scania 470 if you’ve heard they have lots of problems?

edastley1234:
Thanks for the replies!
How many kms can you expect to get from one of these 470 engines given regular servicing, is there any point where they give up the ghost?

Our oldest unit is a 51 plate 124 470 which we’ve had for about 4 1/2 years, it has now covered 880K kms and runs like clockwork on 90% bio diesel. Just before we bought it the turbo compound system had been renewed and we fitted a turbo in the high 700’s, it pulls like a train and isn’t too bad on fuel, not as good as a 52 plate 420 we run but given the extra performance is acceptable.

Lovers of the V8’s will sing their praises but in my experience are best left alone, generally not too good on fuel and when they do go wrong can cost the earth to fix.

Ross.

Hammer,
Im not looking specifically at 470s but i looked at one that seemed to be in good shape had new diff and the turbo has been reconditioned new clutch etc, but you know how it is, no matter what your looking to buy there is always someone thats had a bad time with one and trys to put you off , so thought id see what thoughts were generally on the 470

hammer:
Why are you looking at a Scania 470 if you’ve heard they have lots of problems?

Hammer,
Im not looking specifically at 470s but i looked at one that seemed to be in good shape had new diff and the turbo has been reconditioned new clutch etc, but you know how it is, no matter what your looking to buy there is always someone thats had a bad time with one and trys to put you off , so thought id see what thoughts were generally on the 470
edastley1234

A friend work’s where they have 2. 1 died at 880k but his boss bought another with a reconditioned engine,so they are probably the most troublesome engine Scania made but some people will still buy them. Another friend drove for another company with a 470 it was also on the way out when he left ,burning alot of oil daily and leaking it too.

Stop screwing around go and buy a Maggie with the Volvo fittings,I have a 55 plate with the Volvo workings 800,000k’s and never missed a beat.Scania not fit too lick Renaults boots and I have owned 4 Scanias plus 2 Mercs the Maggie has just been quite exceptional.And they don’t cost very much…save a few bob…that’s the name of the game.

Armagedon:
Stop screwing around go and buy a Maggie with the Volvo fittings,I have a 55 plate with the Volvo workings 800,000k’s and never missed a beat.Scania not fit too lick Renaults boots and I have owned 4 Scanias plus 2 Mercs the Maggie has just been quite exceptional.And they don’t cost very much…save a few bob…that’s the name of the game.

Renault 450dxi Euro 5, good on fuel, volvo engine/gearbox, a lot of truck for your money.

edastley1234:
Hammer,

My thoughts are stay well away from any truck that has had to have a new diff fitted :open_mouth: A diff should last twice as long as an engine, so it’s either had a hard working life or had the bollox knocked out of it, either way…RUN :wink:

good question really, for my two penny worth, i got two scanias, four fh12 volvos, 2 mans, 3 x erfs, one daf, have had two renaults.For me it would be no question a vovlo fh12, or second choice possibly an older 420 renault premium, not too keen on the volvo engined renaults.Which when you write it it seems abit odd, volvo very good overaul, renault a bit deer on main dealer parts, in my opinion, do not ever, under any circumstances buy a man !

Way to go, Renault Magnum or Premium DXi both with the Volvo drivelines.
Plenty of bang for your buck :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

richmond:
in my opinion, do not ever, under any circumstances buy a man !

Ha ha, you had the dash board blinking and winking at you? my mates was flashing up that many things the thing burned it’s self out!!

Ross.

4 series 420 rermapped up to a 500, its the way scania should have made it :smiley:

But ive got a 164 480, remapped to a 560, and before anyone says, i love a big V8, and i dont work for rubbish rates! :grimacing: :grimacing:

dave_k:

Armagedon:

Renault 450dxi Euro 5, good on fuel, volvo engine/gearbox, a lot of truck for your money.

i know a few people who have always ran mercs,scania,volvo but have become quite a fan of these, they dont look as flash as other stuff but if its just a tool to do a job then you wont go far wrong