Tractor choice.

Looking for advice from those that drive and live with these units. I am starting a ne fleet next year. Tempted to get the 04 to 06 Scania Topliner 6x2. Other option for similar money is the 10 plate Renault premium dxi 460. Which is the lesser of the two evils.

You are going to get most folk telling you to go for the Scania, but I drove an 11 plate Renault Premium for 3 yrs and it was the best truck I’ve driven. Comfortable, so easy to drive and performed well enough. Mine was very reliable too, even with almost 900k on the clock, it never broke down at the side of the road once. Never done any nights away in it and probably wouldn’t want to as I reckon its a bit small for that. Maybe ok for an occasional night out. I’d swap my current Actros for my old Premium any day of the week.

I do Milk which means heavy and its a Renault. Very good Engine. Could get the 13 and 62 Plate PCL-Transport gave back. But a Hell of a Stupid Lorry. Running the Road along as a drunken Donkey. Think i miss the steered Middle Axle from DAF. Also hard to reverse a loaded Trailer around the Corner.
I would derfor go for a Unit with steered Middle Axle,but not the DAF we had at Royal Mail. XF,Yes,or Scania as well as IVECO i rekon.
But i dont buy. I just drive. That Way i just have an Eye on the Income and Work i have to do for it.

The scania will give you a better resale to trade up in 2 years time
Personally id go with the newest you can afford be it scania ,daf or renault

If you’ve never driven a Scania, don’t. My choice would be DAF or auto renault. Don’t like hunting for gears.

Its depends on the drivers he is going to employ either seasoned or newbies if newbies then go auto. Look at what gives you the best truck for the money your spending which by the looks could be a premium my main customer use mercs and wont buy anything else.

Make sure it’s a manual…that’ll sort the men from the boys! 3 over 3 Scania if poss… At the time, we had 6 drivers, 3 artics, split shifts. 4 hated the old 124/420 Scanny… I loved it, the day driver put up with it. The other 2 units were an auto CF and an old 05 Scania with 3 pedal Opticruise

I hope you deliver quicker than you set a company up, its only taken you 2 years to find out and decide on a truck looking at your posts.

It’ll take him another few years to figure out he needs to spec the truck to the job/contract

Most of the guys responding to this are looking at it from a drivers point of view you need to look ay it from an owners point of view the older scanias will not allow you to go in to london emission zone the 10 plates will

Starting out, moneys going to be tight. You want the best truck you can afford.

So your not going to buy a 06 scania over a 10 plate premium are you. Not if there both up for the same money.

Concretejim:
Starting out, moneys going to be tight. You want the best truck you can afford.

So your not going to buy a 06 scania over a 10 plate premium are you. Not if there both up for the same money.

Plus 1.

Used to love seeing the likes of a John Deere or a Massey Ferguson.
Can take or leave em nowadays.
I am an ex tractor fan.

war1974:
I hope you deliver quicker than you set a company up, its only taken you 2 years to find out and decide on a truck looking at your posts.

Sounds about right a i am in my ressettlement period having done my time serving Her Majesty in the RAF. Cant just walk out and leave. But good observation. :slight_smile:

It was just to get feedback from drivers more than anything. Unlike most bosses i have come across in my current job i actually will listen and head advice from those who will work for me. I have a diffeent approach to life. As for money being tight, it wont affect me as much as luckily i have plenty contacts up here in Scotland to get work from. It seems a bit overcrowded in England so staying up here. :slight_smile:

as I have said its taken you 2 years from idea to thinking of what trucks you want for your drivers. whilst proper planning is good 2 years isn’t ideal in a fast paced environment.

it also depends on what ‘type’ of driver you want? the ones who will be happy on minimum wage but in a v8 supermegahighline 700+ bhp truck or on a decent wage and driving a Renault?

add on some lights and frilly curtains pay minimum wage and get a load of cab happy drivers = in more profit for you.

war1974:
as I have said its taken you 2 years from idea to thinking of what trucks you want for your drivers. whilst proper planning is good 2 years isn’t ideal in a fast paced environment.

it also depends on what ‘type’ of driver you want? the ones who will be happy on minimum wage but in a v8 supermegahighline 700+ bhp truck or on a decent wage and driving a Renault?

add on some lights and frilly curtains pay minimum wage and get a load of cab happy drivers = in more profit for you.

Cant be helped unfortunately due to the constraints of my Current forces engaement which is finally coming to an end. No regrets, just time to do something Different. Wages will be a touch above the National average. I am not one to get excited about bling on trucks. Personally ithink it looks silly and reminds me of the dolled up trucks they have in India. And as for it being a V8 700+ BHP that is just overkill. For the average work you dont need anymore than 450. If you did heavy haulage then an STGO 6x4 will easily match the task. Thats my Opinion.

If your buying a fleet of trucks…big decision…if its to work as an owner driver…buy the renault…from a dealer…get full maintenance contract on it ( ie servicing etc, 6 weekly checks etc ) and bobs your uncle, if you rent a trailer…its gonna cost you…if you pull someone elses…some charge…some dont…so my advice is just get your facts and costings right.

Jake_Brake:

war1974:

Cant be helped unfortunately due to the constraints of my Current forces engaement which is finally coming to an end. No regrets, just time to do something Different. Wages will be a touch above the National average. I am not one to get excited about bling on trucks. Personally ithink it looks silly and reminds me of the dolled up trucks they have in India. And as for it being a V8 700+ BHP that is just overkill. For the average work you dont need anymore than 450. If you did heavy haulage then an STGO 6x4 will easily match the task. Thats my Opinion.

again it would depend on the work and where you were running to. for me bigger bhp = less stress on the motor and better mpg as at a constant speed, less wear and tear.

will the drivers be away all week? odd nights? again this would affect the choice of unit I would want.

will the work be paid per tonne? per mile? per trip?

I’d take a serious look at a volvo myself… Can pick up a fh12 for 10k around the 2008 mark, my mates still running two 1999 fh’s and never miss a beat!