Scania 420 vs 470

Hello all, I’m a grain trader in Paraguay and I have a small fleet of Scania 124/420s in order to facilitate the moving of the physical grain. Since I’m a trader and not really a fleet manager, I know almost nothing about trucks. I can barely change my own tire. We recently agreed to purchase two 2004 Scania 124/420s from Europe, however upon receiving them we realized they were 124/470s. Before deciding what to do about it, I wanted to know what your opinion is on the two engines. Differences in fuel efficiency, reliability, etc.? I’m concerned about whether the more powerful engine will consume more fuel, as we don’t really need the extra power anyway. Also, I’m worried about the cost and ease of upkeep since there seems to be a lot more of the 420s here than the 470s. Thanks for your help!

Its basically a 420 engine with a secondary turbo in line to the main turbo. Should be a little better on fuel than the 420 just make sure the oil spinner is kept clean at each service and they should be fine also intercooler pipes tended to blow more often so maybe putting a spare in the cab and showing the driver how to change them and they will be fine.

RUN :grimacing:

alix776 was spot on. I had a 420 and people thought I was mad going higher and getting a 470 but it was better on the go go juice the mpg was about 2mpg better. But then some of it comes down to how heavy footed your driver is :laughing:

ellies dad:
RUN :grimacing:

That’s what I’ve heard. It’s fitted with a compound turbo that needs to be nurtured and serviced very regularly, and when they go wrong it’s £1000’s to put them right.
Did read on here I think that they are easy enough to convert to conventional type of turbo.

I have run both 420’s and 470’s, the 420 is always better on fuel and is a cheaper ( to operate ) more reliable simpler truck by far, the tell tale sign with the 470 is the turbo compound bearings, when started from cold, listen for the rattle also make sure the oil pressure is good, at tickover (4 to 5 bar cold 2 to 3bar at operating temp ) at normal running speed ( 6 bar cold & 4 bar at operating temp ). I think the reason you have ended up with the 470 is the supply of 420’s is exhausted in the uk and the exporter hoped you wouldn’t notice, such is the demand for the 420 for the export market that they attract a premium in the UK, as an example a 2002 R124.420 6x2 would be priced at between £9000 & £14,000 the same spec 470 would be around £7000 & £11,000 so the exported stands to make a few more pennies too.

470s get to around 700.000Ks then it gets costly

My 470 didn’t cost me a penny barring the usual servicing costs. I looked after her and inturn she looked after me and she was on 990,000+ and at the time i was pulling fruit out of the ports on neally 44ton a pop.

Again, it depends how your going to treat the motor. I didn’t care how late it was I got up, if I could, that engine would run a good 10-15mins before I took of in it. I think I can count on one hand the times I pulled off fully freighted with a cold engine.

I know of a driver who use to pull of after turning the key and floor the pedal up hill straight away engine stone cold and he had problems with the engine. Not saying it was this but I count help thinking It couldn’t have helped.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90890#p1293796

Some 420vs470 chat in this thread.