Which truck

Starting up in next few weeks after the long slog of CPC’s and o licence application. I’m now having to make a decision on buying a tractor unit and I have been semi out the industry for 10 years, therefore I haven’t driven the latest models, so don’t know what’s good or bad these days.

I am looking to buy a 4-5 year old truck and my own preference would be a Volvo, closely followed by Scania. Are DAF any good nowadays? Also I see the Actros in large numbers for sale secondhand. My main criteria is reliability then residual value.

Cheers

SP

Welcome to the forum. Without revealing trade secrets what do you want to pull behind it, how heavy, how tall, how far and from what area of the country are you from? Will you be using dealer servicing or independent? these last two may influence peoples recommendations since the vehicles are now more tricky to diagnose than 10 years ago, A top notch dealer service and parts department for an unpopular brand are worth more than a rubbish dealer for a ‘name’.

Having a good trawl through this section of the site to see what problems other people are having with each make will maybe alter any past opinions you might have, there is some strong criticism regarding persistent defects occurring on various models.

I am looking to buy a 6x2 unit that could be running at top weight from time to time and on both local and uk distance work.

As you have pointed out, trucks are more complex these days and even with my workshop background, (albeit many moons ago) I am lacking the up-to-date knowledge on the trucks I’m looking at. My current choices are based on my previous experiences of what drove well and had a general reputation for reliability. An example is that there are lots of Euro 5 Scania 440’s for sale at 4-5 years old. Generally I would think Scania to be reliable, however these are EGR and without asking around I wouldn’t know if this model was something to avoid when buying used.

Clearly, there is an inherent risk when buying any truck used and essentially I’m looking to see if there are trucks that everyone and their granny knows to stay well clear of, except me of course because I’ve been AWOL for the past decade. :sunglasses:

Sans peur:
Starting up in next few weeks after the long slog of CPC’s and o licence application. I’m now having to make a decision on buying a tractor unit and I have been semi out the industry for 10 years, therefore I haven’t driven the latest models, so don’t know what’s good or bad these days.

I am looking to buy a 4-5 year old truck and my own preference would be a Volvo, closely followed by Scania. Are DAF any good nowadays? Also I see the Actros in large numbers for sale secondhand. My main criteria is reliability then residual value.

Cheers

SP

well if reliability and resale value are a must dont buy an MAN on EGR, LOL LOL LOL

Up until a week ago ,I had a daf euro 6 460 superspace,
It was dealer maintained,
on collection every time from service or 6 weekly, I asked what it had needed, and it was never much
It had just done 5oo,oookm
Drove like it had just come out of the factory,
Bits of rust here and there on exposed parts of the chassis, but the cab was mint,
And now thy have done away with the front steel bumper, no tin rot there either,

Its probably newer than your looking for, But if I was buying a truck, daf would be the choice for me

Volvo is a good reliable truck, if its residual value you are interested in we have always found the mercs to be brilliant and stay well clear of renault as they are soon worth nothing

boyesadabest:
Volvo is a good reliable truck, if its residual value you are interested in we have always found the mercs to be brilliant and stay well clear of renault as they are soon worth nothing

Would think a well maintained Renault a good purchase for a new start , initial price second hand would be lower than most other makes and so long as its been well looked after would be a sensible buy . It should be remembered that the engine and transmission are mainly Volvo based therefore very durable and trouble free , I do know of operators who speak very but very highly of the these motors and I personally cannot understand why they receive such bad press , I suspect most of its down to the badge snobs !!!.

Renault Premium 460DXi all day long for your 1st year anyway to see how it goes.
£10k will buy you a minter around 400k and look hard/haggle enough and 2012/2013 within reach!!!

Don’t matter diddly squat about residuals@ £10k!!![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Renault Premium 460DXi all day long for your 1st year anyway to see how it goes.
£10k will buy you a minter around 400k and look hard/haggle enough and 2012/2013 within reach!!!

Great minds think alike Big Truck , well said that man .

shugg:

Big Truck:

[emoji6] Can’t see why you’d look at anything else for the money etc unless as you say a “badge snob”.

Driving a 2015 MAN TGX XXL440 atm and can’t really fault it,
wee bit more power be nice if being really fussy!!![emoji41]

DO NOT under any circumstances buy a Scania R440 EGR,
There is a reason why Stobarts/Jenky etc get rid@ 3yrs old!!!

Big Truck:

shugg:

Big Truck:

[emoji6] Can’t see why you’d look at anything else for the money etc unless as you say a “badge snob”.

I thought you were getting a new Iveco on an R&M deal.

And +1 with a Renault Premium, good truck and if you stretch the price a bit more Renault are doing them with 1 or 2 year driveline warranties.

If you want good fuel economy, get a actros. I have been averaging 11mpg on mine over the last 200,000 trouble free miles.

muckles:

Big Truck:

shugg:

Big Truck:

I thought you were getting a new Iveco on an R&M deal.

And +1 with a Renault Premium, good truck and if you stretch the price a bit more Renault are doing them with 1 or 2 year driveline warranties.

Two mates and I were looking at figures ref putting a couple of Iveco on road but got no further than quotes.

Just driving the MAN for Sawyers on PAYE.[emoji41]

whelmic:
If you want good fuel economy, get a actros. I have been averaging 11mpg on mine over the last 200,000 trouble free miles.

Be BIG KMs on an MP4 Actros for £10k!!![emoji28]

If you have the liking for something durable and reliable , personally I would go for DAF CF85 with a manual gearbox , it should be fairly cheap to buy and if it should go wrong it would be very easy to repair . I noticed on Ernest Thorpes web site on Facebook an article regarding two DAF CF 85s which are 17 years old and operate on general haulage at 44 T .

shugg:
If you have the liking for something durable and reliable , personally I would go for DAF CF85 with a manual gearbox , it should be fairly cheap to buy and if it should go wrong it would be very easy to repair . I noticed on Ernest Thorpes web site on Facebook an article regarding two DAF CF 85s which are 17 years old and operate on general haulage at 44 T .

This spot on ,but most would not be able to ,not enough glory :smiley:

Big Truck:

shugg:

Big Truck:

Exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

I would have no probs with a Premium and if there are deals at 10k, like you say, then that would make sense. However, will be that little bit harder getting a driver to do 4 nights in one.

I’m going to look more seriously at DAF. Reason I haven’t so far is that I have never driven one. But prices are probably at a level where I’m more comfortable with and a Dealer very close by who I have dealt with with vans and not had any issues.

If you are just starting out, the last thing you need to worry about is what a driver will or won`t drive surely ?

Its going to be you all the way for the first 6/12 months, so you will then be able to see what the job is all about, and what it takes in time & effort for each job ect… :wink:

If you are taking a driver on from day one, be prepared to be bent over, its goes with the territory, you won`t have a clue whether he/she are telling porkies regarding routes/destinations/conditions/ect…

Dossing in a Frogtrotter will be the least of your worries, but operating something in the £10k club will give you a decent start.

I would vouch for a Renault Premium, they pull like a train, the cab a bit small but be disciplined then no problems .
Or Volvo FH 12, nice to drive but forget MAN, prone to Egr problems and engine failures .

Have been driving Renault’s for over 10 years around Europe, Cab not the biggest but if you are organised not a problem.
My current Renault is 3 years old and not had any mechanical problems, gone through
the tests without anything spent on it.