Decent truck shows

anyone know of any up coming truck shows in the new year were i can buy some truck photos mainly of the good old khaki green tarmac varity :grimacing: and also have a good selection of classic trucks on show from 70’s/80’s?
i’m not up to speed with what shows are on or were to find out :blush:
cheers in advance joe :smiley:

classic & vintage commercial show 11 & 12 june 2011 At the heritage motor museum Gaydon is a good show

Classic Commercial Enthusiast Day and Auction at the Three Counties Showground near Malvern on 26th March 2011 (abevents.co.uk for further info). Another one is the Basingstoke Festival of Transport on May 8th. Weston Park, near Telford is another good transport show which includes commercials; it takes place Easter weekend.

Good magazines for info about classic commercials and shows are ‘Classic and Vintage Commercials’ (not a lot in the January issue though) and ‘Heritage Commercials’. There is also a very comprehensive A5 size booklet with a calendar of all heritage events, museums etc, ranging from cars to boats and much in between, unfortunatly I can’t remember its title, but a good newsagent should be able to put you in the right direction. It comes out early in the year.

Can’t guarantee the availability of photos at the shows but you would have a ■■■■ good day out!

Both Malvern and Gaydon have loads of people selling photos of lorries. IF you can get near his stand at Malvern the famous Peter Davies has a great collection of old lorry pictures for sale. Either of these two shows are great for old truck enthusiasts.

thanks guys! i swear i’ll find a pic of my dads old tarmac constructor this year! :grimacing:

jonmea:
classic & vintage commercial show 11 & 12 june 2011 At the heritage motor museum Gaydon is a good show

But a lot of the stalls sell expensive tat that’s not even truck related-a bit like Bloxham Rally. For tipper fans Truckfest Swest Shepton Mallet is good.

Muckaway:

jonmea:

But a lot of the stalls sell expensive tat that’s not even truck related-a bit like Bloxham Rally. For tipper fans Truckfest Swest Shepton Mallet is good.

I was at Gaydon last year,it was a really good show.Might try the one at Shepton Mallet this year,will see what the weather is like come the day.

Muckaway:

jonmea:

I’d definitely say it was the other way around - there are no non-truck related stalls at Gaydon but there were plenty on my one and only visit to Shepton Mallet a few years back

jj72:

Muckaway:

jonmea:

I’d definitely say it was the other way around - there are no non-truck related stalls at Gaydon but there were plenty on my one and only visit to Shepton Mallet a few years back

Maybe I was unlucky in finding some then :smiley: Some of the models there were little better than battered charity shop rejects-Ie Hotwheels junk. Bloxham and Fairford rallies used to be good, but I did Bloxham 2010 and it was rubbish. Too many crappy natural remedy stalls, old ■■■■■ displaying strange collections like old garden implements and the parade of vehicles was drawn out with uninteresting commentary, though it’s a fair bit cheaper than truckfests inflated prices.

Another couple of shows worth considering are the AEC Society Great North Road Rally and the Modern Classics Show at Gaydon.

The Great North Road Rally is held at Newark Showground on the second bank holiday weekend in May. The Sunday in particular is really good. It’s not just for AEC’s.

The September Gaydon show is for wagons from the 70’s to the present day as the other Gaydon show has a 1985 cut off. I think it will be on the 15th September but not sure if we will go as that clashes with Truckfest original…when you have two E10’s and an E14 to take under their own power from Stamford its an obvious choice to go to Newark rather than Gaydon.

Apart from that also consider the Belvoir Castle Steam Rally and Country Show. There is always a great number of ERFs (I’m not biased at all!) and probably near to a hundred commercials.
We tend to do the steam show and country fair circuit within about 40 miles of Stamford so can’t be much more help than that. Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions though.

TheFan46:
thanks guys! i swear i’ll find a pic of my dads old tarmac constructor this year! :grimacing:

Have you taken a look on BonkeyDollocks Tarmac thread on the photo forum he,s got load of pics on there.