Daylight zb robbery

got to the services last night to do a trailer swap, never done one at services before but not expecting any problems until security bloke comes over and asks if im doing a trailer swap, really on the ball there ,trailer dropped and unit parked next to it :unamused: :unamused: .
thatll be 16 quid then mate :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , what for asks me , to change your trailer on the services, you can zb was the reply.
fine then ill take your reg no and your mates when he arrives and fine your company 80 quid per truck[ 160 quid ] .
i dont know whether hes pocketing the money, nice little earner , but if he was serious then its zb robbery, we wasnt spending all night there wed of been gone in 5 mins.

He was serious, it is stated on the notice’s that display the parking charges.

what services , my answer to him ady is [zb] and bill osborne . not me

Language edit. It it needs altering to get it past the auto censor, that is the very obvious clue it isn’t allowed.

holliefabbabe:
what services , my answer to him ady is [zb] and bill osborne . not me

ferrybridge and i think he gathered i wasnt going to pay, but 16 quid to change a trailer to me is daylight robbery, it doesnt cost much more to park for the night, does it . got the poles to follow me to a place i know and did it there .

I think some companies have deals with the services to do it. If ever I’ve done it I wait under until partners ready and than do a quick musical trailers. But that is AFTER I’ve warned base I’m not liable.

A trailer change is a commercial activity :stuck_out_tongue: It says so on the sign at Maidstone services.

The bloke there got the same reply as you gave and stuck a ticket half way up the passenger door. :laughing:

If my boss wants to pay it he can, I just think that Roadchef will be waiting a long time

Should be charged more than that, go do it somewhere else. :smiling_imp:

When I was TM for Toray for a time we ran a night trunk to Hyde and back, twice with the same unit and driver. Because of problems with the neighbours we decided to use 2 trailers drop one at Trowell services and then go back up with the other that the driver had left earlier. At the end of it all he brought both trailers back to the yard, leaving them to be unloaded. We had an arrangement with the site owners and paid a monthly fee, not much, but one little privelege was we were allowed to use the connecting bridge to save running down to J25 all the time.

16 quid is steep. the signs i have seen are 4 quid but even then why? they give you 2 hours free parking so why charge you to park up for a break and take a different trailer out? other than greed, i dont get why they charge :confused:

scanny77:
16 quid is steep. the signs i have seen are 4 quid but even then why? they give you 2 hours free parking so why charge you to park up for a break and take a different trailer out? other than greed, i dont get why they charge :confused:

Probably because they’re not obliged by law to let you use the place for trailer changes, but I agree that £16 does seem greedy especially when you consider the likelihood that they may also get shop or garage custom from the drivers being there.

scanny77:
i dont get why they charge :confused:

Because they are a commercial enterprise and another commercial enterprise wants to make use of their facilities. £16 seems a bit steep but it isn’t good business to let other companies use your facilities for nothing.

Coffeeholic:

scanny77:
i dont get why they charge :confused:

Because they are a commercial enterprise and another commercial enterprise wants to make use of their facilities. £16 seems a bit steep but it isn’t good business to let other companies use your facilities for nothing.

I understand that but in our case we swapped trailers and they wanted 32 quid, 16 each to change and I didnt have any spare cash, the other driver refused to pay point blank but we both told them to send the company a bill, pointing out the full adress and country on the cab.

We swap trailers up to a dozen times a week and if I have to carry that amount of cash I want a securicor van :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally i think they have an F in cheeck the extorsionate prices at service stations should be plenty enough for them to turn a proffit without targetting lorry drivers again.
I have very strong opinions about these sites unfortunatly auto sensor would prevent me from airing it in here.

I can kinda understand their point if people are dumping trailers and leaving them for half a day for someone to pick up later. Since its taking up space.

But a quick 5min change over don’t see the problem. Just typical greed you expect from MSA these days.

catclan:
Personally i think they have an F in cheeck the extorsionate prices at service stations should be plenty enough for them to turn a proffit without targetting lorry drivers again.
I have very strong opinions about these sites unfortunatly auto sensor would prevent me from airing it in here.

Well the services I used on that occasion for swapping trailers was already on my hit list for greedy operators. (Roadchef)

I needed some water for my tanker heating system, about 20 litres so I asked in the garage if they had a tap I could use. She pointed me to the fridge and expected me to buy 20 bottles of Evian at 2 quid a shot. Apparently they had disconnected the hoses on the air/water pump because lorry drivers kept stealing them

Kenny1975:
I can kinda understand their point if people are dumping trailers and leaving them for half a day for someone to pick up later. Since its taking up space.

But a quick 5min change over don’t see the problem. Just typical greed you expect from MSA these days.

Thats all we did, I had loaded in Silvertown, my mate had come from the train, we arrived within 10minutes of each other and were gone within 20.

I can understand them complaining about dropping trailers for long periods although putting clamps on them would only prolong the process of taking up spaces

catclan:

I don’t want to defend them but to be fair they are not targeting lorry drivers but rather transport companies. This wouldn’t be something a driver would pay so it isn’t by any stretch targeting drivers. Then again some are stupid enough to pay to park the company truck so who knows.

Most places will charge you - though £16 is way too much.

Think it’s usually £4-5.

All the parking notices state ‘trailer changes are a commercial activity blah blah blah…’

These tips may be worth noting -
i) Try and park out of the way, as far as possible from the parking attendant’s hut.
ii) Shield your vehicle from view behind others.
iii) Be ready to pull out from the trailer (get the legs down, suzies off etc).

Then when your new trailer arrives get under it and clear off with it quick before anyone catches you. :smiley:

I’ve never had to pay yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is, allegedly, quite satisfying when you and your mate who you’ve just swapped with, clog it out of the services with the parking attendant running down the truck park after you.

You can get a real buzz out of it. So they tell me… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

flying_fenman:
It is, allegedly, quite satisfying when you and your mate who you’ve just swapped with, clog it out of the services with the parking attendant running down the truck park after you.

I’m seeing a Sky One programme here - When Parking Attendants Go Wild. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

flying_fenman:
Most places will charge you - though £16 is way too much.

Think it’s usually £4-5.

All the parking notices state ‘trailer changes are a commercial activity blah blah blah…’

These tips may be worth noting -
i) Try and park out of the way, as far as possible from the parking attendant’s hut.
ii) Shield your vehicle from view behind others.
iii) Be ready to pull out from the trailer (get the legs down, suzies off etc).

Then when your new trailer arrives get under it and clear off with it quick before anyone catches you. :smiley:

I’ve never had to pay yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can get a real buzz out of it. So they tell me… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bloody good on you fella, [zb] 'em I say :wink:

Language edit. If it needs stars to get it past the auto censor that is the very obvious clue it isn’t allowed.