nightfreight,

advertising for trunkers near me 2pm start till finish anyone any expeiences of this lot good or bad?
need to get off tramping so thinking of looking for something like this

any chance you could let me know who this company is plz mate, is it nightfreight■■? i am lookin for a job as not long moved to yorkshire :smiley: :smiley:

selby newcomer:
any chance you could let me know who this company is plz mate, is it nightfreight■■? i am lookin for a job as not long moved to yorkshire :smiley: :smiley:

yes it is mate :smiley: they are at birstall in leeds if thats any good to you,

I did Nightfreight for a while on the agency, quite a strange place :stuck_out_tongue:

Usually drive Nottingham - Leeds and back, then shunt in the yard for hours and hours, and then go to the hub or some other depot and back, usually around a 12hour shift.

Very strange the way they do things in the yards at depots, Nottingham you park the trailers in a gap, literally less than the width of the trailers - line it up and ram it in, scraping down the sides and pushing the others out of the way, then you have to get underneath to put the park brake on and pull the pin, and when pulling one out its usually easier to drag it out than scrabble underneath to the park brake.

I would describe their practises as quite dangerous at times, you get other drivers trying to hook up the trailer next to you even though your underneath it, they drive round like lunatics in the forklifts and go in the back without using a ramp so the forklifts kinda dropping into the trailer and then ramming back out onto the bay.

Trucks and Trailers generally in a very battered condition, their bills for damage repairs must be huge.

Was an ok job if you like that kinda thing, but just take a friendly warning to be careful out there :wink: because nobodys gonna be watching your back.

Lycanthrope:
Trucks and Trailers generally in a very battered condition, their bills for damage repairs must be huge.

Few years back I used to do quite a few shifts for them at 7.5 tonners and I doubt that they pay for any repairs - it seems that they just keep going until the van break in half :wink:

Once I also had an agency shift to help them load the stuff into the trunkers trailers… Well, that day I learned to never send anything with them.

After filling almost whole trailer with small parcel two pallets came - what they did? They just reversed to gain some momentum and then rammed the pallets in with a forklift :open_mouth:

their own gear i have found isnt generally looked after, i did a month with them last year, after 2 days in their own motor i made sure i got the hire motor everytime, not only was it clean and everything worked, but it was a man tga xlx

gogzy:
their own gear i have found isnt generally looked after, i did a month with them last year, after 2 days in their own motor i made sure i got the hire motor everytime, not only was it clean and everything worked, but it was a man tga xlx

As for Glasgow they have hteir own lorry, but also they use a subcontractor who runs in their livery with his own trucks (or it used to be like that few years ago).

orys:

gogzy:

As for Glasgow they have hteir own lorry, but also they use a subcontractor who runs in their livery with his own trucks (or it used to be like that few years ago).

i was in livingston, they have their own truck which is a state, and one hire unit which is from hill hire which is in alot better condition, they also use a few subbies though mainly 7.5 ton and 17 tonners

We share our yard with a manufacturer who uses them.
Their 7.5t comes in to collect his stuff and there aint a straight panel on it.
I see them on the road aswell and they’re always driving like lunatics,doesn’t look like any of the drivers takes much pride in their jobs which usually tells you something about the employer.

the job i did was moving vac-lug tryres,night trunking was grantham-heywood,grantham- glous [ downtons yard],grantham -basildon with a trailer change at each depot,5.30 p.m start ,latest finish was midnight on glous run,mon-fri,10 hrs pay.
for a while untill i left i did grantham-glous-grantham-heywood-night out,then heywood-grantham-glous-grantham following day,we normally got 10 hrs pay for grantham-glous-grantham but grantham-glous-grantham-heywood was deemed to be 2 runs[2 drivers] so contracts boss was paying me 20 hrs per night :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,i was coining it in and still in bed by 3 a.m most nights [5.30p.m-3 a.m].
but as all things a new boss came, decided he wanted me too do the double run for 10 hrs pay not 20 hrs,said he wasnt going to pay 20 hrs for 9 hrs work,so i threw dummy out pram and left.
the only really bad job i can remember was the day shift trunk run to lodge tyres brum,you had to tip 150 odd new lorry tyres :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,then reload the same amount of used lorry tyres[including super singles] :open_mouth: ,you double stacked them and to get top row on they gave you a plank of wood to wheel them up on your own :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :frowning: :frowning: ,the amount of times you pulled them to get them off the top stack and half the row came down on you,the times you got it wrong[knackered] wheeling them up the plank and you ended up in pile on floor was unreal,it was zb hard work,halfway down reloading old tyres you really were on your knees, 1 st time i did it i was sick i was that knackered,.
so if its night trunking on tyre contract its o.k,but if they offer you day trunk with truck tyres RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN :wink: ,
makes you laugh we now kick off if weve got to handball a few boxes :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

any chance you could post a link for these vacancies plz, i cant find it anywhere :blush:

Did a trunk job for them in December, had to go solo to Birmingham depot. Then collect a trailer and bring it back to Thacham. Old unit and a very battered and rusty trailer.

i used to work for nightfreight for 3n half years as 7 n half tonne driver at the birstall depot and they run you ragged with stupid amounts of deliveries

but once i passed my class 1 n covered the class1 drivers at the depot the job is piece of p***

the previous comments abouts trailers being battered is true, thats down to the hubs especially the nottingham one where the comment about u have literally an inch either side n they tned to be rammed in and can hear the rivets popping is true

the units are bit better , i know at the birstall depot they are all man tgx the oldest one being a 55 n 06 plate then a 58 plate and new 10 reg one and possible still a iveco stralis hire unit

anyway if the jobs mentioned are at the birstall depot

then if anyone interested in it drop me a pm and ill give u more info etc

selby newcomer:
any chance you could post a link for these vacancies plz, i cant find it anywhere :blush:

its on direct.gov website,sorry bud aint a clue how to get a link up :blush:

after speaking to someone who still works at birstall

he seems to think its run empty to hull load up then run down to central hub in willenhall
then do trailer change and run back to birstall with loaded trailer from hub and thats it

here is a link to the vacancy

jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/detailj … =BAY/33183

That link doesn’t take you anywhere.

Ken.

had a mate who worked for them out of gloucester we used to nickname them nightfright he worked there for two years gained his experience and jumped a sinking ship. but different depot so possibly completely different scenario.

Nightfreight? Tried them on agency quite a few years back on Glasgow night trunk, they used jump jockeys which wasn’t for me.

I run the occasional trunk from the North West down to Willenhall for Nightfreight. Not a bad company to work for and the cafe in their Willenhall depot is superb! :smiley:

They do love to keep you hanging around though.

I must admit that the working conditions for the agency staff who sort the parcels is shambolic though.

I MIGHT have bagged a job with these, gotta ring tomorow.

Trunking to bristol (vaculug), trailer swap and back - piece of ■■■■ but sounds pretty boring to me.

Little concerned after reading this though, is it really this bad?