Danish Bacon Co

Does anyone have any info on the Danish Bacon Co in Wath Upon Dearne?

Popped into the jobcentre today and got quite a few job vacancies, DBC is on the hit list for me as its fairly local.

Any info or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

They`re always advertising for drivers, & always using agency drivers.
if you like multidrop, & like handballing to shops, factory and school canteens etc. then this is the job for you, spose its a bit like 3663 :open_mouth:

then again if it been advertised in the local joke shop, it must be a brill job :unamused: :unamused:

I did it for nearky a year out of the Chelmsford depot. It’s all of the above with early starts too. If you get your own run then you can make of it what you want. I was paid £365 for the week with a £45 attendance allowance on top if you didn’t go sick. This was not too bad money if you could be get round and be home by 1400, however they only paid overtime when you had done a ■■■■■■■■■■ 50+ hours at the hourly rate + about 30p ie about £7.60 so you could work 52 hours and earn an extra £15 rather than work 40 for the basic pay. As a result no-one ever bothered doing more than they had to as overtime was a waste of time.

But it was a good start and gained loads of experience of getting in and out of places and improved my London / Kent knowledge too.

My uncle worked for DBC there and at their old place at Kilnhurst. (Almost 30 years in all!)

It was a very steady job - not as much manual lifting as there used to be as everything is in cages these days.

Only drawback is you get lots of drops and it’s stop start all the time.

You should get some cheap food there as well!

They’ve recently been bought-out/taken over by Woodwards, after losing a major ie M.O.D. contract.

Read the 3663 thread, that’ll tell you ALL you need to know. :open_mouth:

(recruitment is said to be “difficult” for them, allegedly) :wink:

The only contract worth having that they actually had when I was there, was supplying the Cafe Nero shops with coffee, water, coke and cakes. If it was that that’s gone then I’m not surprised they are on their knees.

When I started in the April they had 16 lorries 13-18t and one Transit and had a shared spare with theBrentwood depot. When I left in the December they were down to about 10 lorries. They were good at losing contracts.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have other numbers to ring, one is for Thackrays in Barnsley. I think they run tippers and skip lorries.

I might chance my arm with them instead

I’m presuming you’ve got a ‘C’ licence Paul.

Have you tried the big warehouse just down from the Stockyard at Hellaby. (Gagewell’s) They usually have a banner on the gate saying they are recruiting drivers.

killsville:
I’m presuming you’ve got a ‘C’ licence Paul.

Have you tried the big warehouse just down from the Stockyard at Hellaby. (Gagewell’s) They usually have a banner on the gate saying they are recruiting drivers.

the money aint great, even the agy drivers (inc me) avoid it due to the rates, the trucks are on trackers so every move you make is watched due to the goods being bonded. and they average 10+ drops a day. most of the rigids Ive seen coming out of there have 2 people in, so I asume that 2nd bloke is there to help with the handball.

as always… If a jobs being advertised, it can`t be all that good :unamused: