DBC Food service

Hi all

Has anyone worked for DBC food service at all? Prefreably from Chelmsford depot?

I take it its all multi drop etc?

Just wondering what there like.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Bigfoot

I work for dbc thatcham and go up to Newmarket and darlaston quite a bit I normally do the trunking runs of an evening and its a piece of cake , done some multidrop for them and personally don’t like to do it as much as trunking but they do understand if you take a bit longer than the normal run guys as you not used to it , I’ve delivered to Chelmsford once and they all seem nice guys up there one thing I will say is that if you do your best that’s all they look for although multidrop is hard work typical load well from thatcham anyway is around 9 drops and normally pretty much the same area you will have a sack truck and pallet truck on board and each drop is a mix of frozen and chilled unfortunately most places you deliver to are places like cafe Nero, stations,schools etc and will more than likely be mostly using sack truck but hey if I can do it it can’t be that hard :wink:
Good luck
Jen x

Thanks for your reply Jen. Usefull info. Done some multi drop previously and cant stand it lol I think the Chelmsford branch run into London alot as from what i can see, there the closest…AND I HATE LONDON LOL

Congrats on passing your C+E :grimacing:

Safe driving
Ben

I actually enjoy working for them the guys are all lovely to me and the job ain’t that hard once you know a route , the wagons I drive are all in good nick and they must be a green light company as I have never been pulled yet but I know what you mean I hate London too :wink:
Jx

All the food service companies are hard work on multidrop as its tight spaces and handball. However they are a good way to get experience and fairly well paid as you max out your hours

Depends what you want.

It’ll be early start (4.30/5ish) doing schools, hospitals, workplaces, prisons, butchers and Cafe Neros in Essex, Kent & London. When I did it at Chelmsford about 7 years ago it was typically 20-25 drops usually anything from two or three boxes to a cage although some drops could be more. We seemed to get all the crap jobs no other company would do like lugging stuff upstairs to kitchens or dragging cages a long way from the vehicle to the kitchen. Often would have to deliver to the fridges rather than the kitchen door. School and factory canteens would often give you a bite to eat.

The Cafe Neros were approx 22-24 shops in central London, lots of heavy drinks to drag through busy shops past poncy coffee drinkers.

Money was OK but due to the way they worked it you could have one bloke getting an easy job and getting it done in 40 hours or you’d be struggling and take 50 hours and still get the same money.

If you are after a job and experience you’ll learn far more in a month of this than a year of trunking, whether it’s the job for you long term is another thing. It was a good move for me but after 9 months I was ready to move on.

HI Mate, just seen your post, bit late but i work at Chelmsford on the Artic night trunk. The class 2 work is ok have a lot of guys who have been on it for many years, its hard work somedays easier others, London, Essex & kent mainly up to 25 drops a day, start 4/5am most trucks are parked up by 4/5pm, some back by 2/3pm. New transport manager very fair, dont know exact money but somewhere around £23k for class 2. They just leave you to get on with it, plenty of ■■■■■■■ boxes & cages around. but as i said lot of drivers been here for a while so must say something.

Hi Governor

I did a few days with DBC as an agency driver after posting the original post. Found it ok, but like you say, there are a fair feW drops. I hate multidrop…With a capital H lol. But all the people at the depot were friendly and helpful which was nice.

Whats the trunk work like? I have a C+E licence also, but my age of 23 goes against me usually. Have you worked there long? Did you start off there on class 2 work?

Ben

I do mostly trunk work for them but on class 2 there is a guy who comes up from petersfield who goes to chelmsford newmarket thatcham and then home the trunking is fine the depot staff are nice guys i have never met anyone who was off with me and you can always get a coffee :wink: ive just passed my ce so am hoping that if the oppertunity comes up they will let me take the artic out if you dont mess em about they are pretty good to you so im sure if you proved on class c if needed a ce they would consider you

heres hopin

Jen x