Multidrop

Hi peeps

I’ve started a new job doing bulk deliveries for a well known parcel company (no names… i’ve read earlier posts :wink: ) I’m just delivering pallets tho.

Went out today with a multidrop driver in a 7.5t so i could get used to the paperwork. I thought he was taking the mick when i asked how many drops today ? he replied “only 95” :open_mouth:

95 drops later and i am knackered, and i wasnt doing the driving.

Just got to say that drivers doing multidrop just went up in my estimation. Its not a job i could do…i like a few miles of driving between drops.

Just wondering if that sort of qty is normal on multidrop. Anything over 8 drops and i start sweating.

Joey

no it’s not and obviously it was a parcel company you where out with today.our class 2 lads can go out with anything between 5-20 deliveries,( pallets by the way)it may seem alot to you but it’s not.provided that you don’t get held up anywhere then most lads are parked up by 12-30-13.00 for their break.after their break they might have 2-3 collections depending on which area they cover.95 deliveries let me ask you, how many parcels went into say one customer at a time :question: i bet if you added how many you did hand into each customer that would bring the drops down a fair bit.some multi-drop lads like to exaggerate a little,especially when they arrive at a customer and see a couple of wagons in front of them.you will find it easier the longer you do the run as you’ll learn short cuts to customers.good luck m8. :wink:

Cheers for that kitkat…i’m not doing the multidrop, i should only have 8 - 10 drops a day, all pallets plus a collection which looks fairly easy to be honest. They sent me with the 7.5 tonner so i could get used to all the different p/work.

Out of the 95 drops he had today, it was all parcels (in consignments up to 20…but mainly ones and twos), he had over 80 seperate customers. Some were shops fairly close together so that you could do 3 or 4 in one hit, but i was still amazed he did it all.

I know i couldnt do it even if i wanted to. I like my leisurely cup of coffee etc as i’m crawling up the motorway

I was just amazed at how many they did

Joey

I was talking to a UPS driver just before christmas and he was saying 120 drops was an easy day although it sounded a lot he was usually done for around 3 ish and he only had 3 postcodes to cover

17ton work is pretty much as KK says 5 - 20 drops this company your starting for told you 8 - 10 well in all honesty take that with a pinch of salt and expect it to be more like 15 after a few weeks

simon

they wont hit you too hard joey. they obviously know you are new to it and they should give you time toget to know the area first before they start to add more. what kind of drops are you getting? is it big businesses and retailers etc or small shops or town centres? if you are looking for road names, USE YOUR MAPS properly. post offices, police staions, major road junctions etc may seem unimportant if you dont want them but they are landmarks eg. instead of looking for the 7th left, look for the 2nd left after the post office. carrying a pencil to mark your drops on the map doesnt hurt either. another one is to put a reference on your paperwork ie, page and grid number for the map. all this can save you time on the road. give me a call or text sometime mate :wink:

I spent a Summer a while back multi dropping. mostly 20 - 30 drops per day.
Lots of pallets, 99.9% commercial drops.
Loads were very mixed anything from alcohol to pharmaceuticals & tinned food, to County Council supplies, fire arms & engineering stuff & zb great rolls of material.
I’ll never do it again.

Whenever I’ve done it on agency it was usuallly about 6-12 drops, I thought it was a piece of cake compared to some of the van multidrop jobs I’ve had.

I’d love to find some permanent work doing pallet deliveries. :frowning:

Andyroo:
I’d love to find some permanent work doing pallet deliveries. :frowning:

that is exactly what i am looking for too. preferably hildon water or howard tenens. i got on well with both companies when i did agency work there but i moved out of that offices area. i want to leave the agency and commute to either of those jobs

daxi:
I’ll never do it again.

Yeah! Same as me. I have a reasonably nice leisurely job compared to Multidrop and I found it stressful :frowning:

Personally Daxi, I won’t either. I used to work for a large pallet company through a depot doing multidrop on an artic. Averaging 17/18 drops a day, plus 5 - 8 collects. That was a little extreme, all round the LE postcode :unamused:. I used to get the most drops off and turn over the most revenue of the drivers & I’m not up my rear about it at all :laughing:. Do 18 drops, take 10 mins at each one and that’s 180 munites added to your day. Over 2 hours. They usually take longer as you get an obscure address you can’t find, their’s a problem with the paperwork, a well known buiscuit manufacturer won’t give you a gate pass and you end up backing through their gate, that sort of thing :wink::roll:. I could feel a heart attack comming on in the end through the stress, so upped and left. It was good experience though and I thoroughly enjoyed it until it got too much and I realised their was easier work around. So did one of my ex colleagues. I’m working with him :wink::roll::mrgreen:.

United Carriers had between 120 and 140 drops per day in Hull, we had 4 trucks doing different postcodes and you were only allowed a mate with a load in excess of 100 drops or a handball load of 6 ton or more.

I took the easy route and did South Lincolnshire with 75 drops and 15 collections every day.

I had to drive a KM 16 ton dropbody on this run as well :frowning:

95 drops… pahhh thats nowt… my postman does 500 on a pushbike :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I`ll stick to RDC work, at least its only 1 -3 drops, and a backhaul at worst.
gives me plenty of sleep time on POA :unamused:

Don’t let em put you off Joey.

I’ve done multi-drop work and quite enjoyed it. Just don’t let the company shaft you. Some do, some don’t.

Supermarkets are good. Parceline HGV is OK but their van drivers get it stuck up em on a daily basis. At least here in Edinburgh they do.

Hope you enjoy it, if not there’s plenty other jobs around.

joey, i finally got off my arse and went looking for work (in the yellow pages). i only called hildon and howard tenens and they both asked for my cv. hildon seemed quite keen on taking me on rather than training someone up
the moral of the story is, dont be shy and stick to the recruitment pages. if you call these companies, they might have a job that they havent advertised for one reason or another. you might get lucky and find an unadvertised job that you enjoy. its always worth a phone call to find out who is after drivers. start with the companies that you actually want to work for. there is no law against seeking employment while you have a job. i am waiting for confirmation so i can drop my resignation on my agencies desk :laughing:

Joey stick it out mate trust me once you get to know the job and area its a piece of [zb] and you’ll never look back. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: i could’nt stand the monotony of trundling up and down the motorway fo hours on end to do 1 or 2 jobs yawn :wink: :unamused: :unamused:

simon

if you get stuck, give me a shout mate. glad you are enjoying it though. if you like it, keep at it. good luck with it and keep us up to date on how you are getting on