Crash on M11

Did anyone else see the crash this morning at about 0530 on the northbound carriageway just south of Stansted?

Reason I ask is that I was right behind it and I have never seen anything like it in my life. It really was ‘Wacky Races’. It really highlighted to me that the average car driver thinks that they are invincible.

I thought something was wrong ahead because I saw an artic travelling south with it hazard lights on, and the driver was frantically flashing his headlights. I am grateful to this driver. I seemed to be the only one that noticed him and slowed down.

As I came around a bend in the road, I saw a stationary car in lane 2 (of 3) which I saw get hit from behind by a four-wheel drive. They both ended up in the central reservation.

The cars exploded on impact and without exaggeration I reckon the resulting fireball must have reached 60 or 70 feet into the air.

I later found out that the couple in this car had managed to get out before the 4WD hit their car, but I did not see the driver of the 4WD after the crash. :frowning:

Then three more cars collided as they tried to steer around the first crash. It was absolute madness. Why could they not have just stopped and not given the emergency services even more problems to deal with? It was clear that the road was blocked - why make things worse?

I just hope that nobody lost their life…

that sounds about right. a few weeks ago i was heading south on the M3 in the 2 lane section before winchester services. the road bends round to the left and a car passed me but i spotted his hazards coming on before he disappeared out of sight. i put my hazards on and slowed down and my other half asked why i did that. i explained that they were on the outside lane so it would be unusual for anyone to pull over on the outside lane if they broke down so i concluded there was a problem round the corner. sure enough, stationary traffic!
it comes down to experience and anticipation which are just 2 of the skills which are sadly lacking in the average car driver :unamused:

It’s because their attention only reaches as far as their field of vision …About 20’ in front of their car for most car drivers or the far hardshoulder in the case of rubber neckers,which is how they manage to hit each other up the chuff @ 10mph

north surrey haulage:
It’s because their attention only reaches as far as their field of vision …About 20’ in front of their car for most car drivers or the far hardshoulder in the case of rubber neckers,which is how they manage to hit each other up the chuff @ 10mph

As far as 20’ NSH :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I think you may be exaggerating slightly there mate :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: