Cpc question from a mechanic

Hi I have just passed my cat c test but have not yet done my mod 2 or 4 cpc tests. Does this mean that until I actually complete the tests I can’t drive on my job as a mechanic. I am asking because I’m getting a few conflicting stories some saying I can’t. Some saying I can. I found this on the web. Saying I was exempt from the mod 2 and 4 if.

Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair, maintenance purposes, or new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service

But does this cover collecting the vehicle from and to the customer for repair/service?

Cheers

Bretty.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.524751,-2.504017

Bretty:
does this cover collecting the vehicle from and to the customer for repair/service?

There is a grey area at the moment in regards to mechanics taking a LGV to and from MOT - the authorities cannot decide if this should be dcpc exempt so are waiting for someone to bring a court case for a definition

Tha advice from the authorities is to get dcpc qualified to be on the safe side

I would suggest that the question you posed comes close to this but my personal view is that you need dcpc

IMO any job that a non mechanic LGV driver can do with a vehicle that comes under the regs will not be dcpc exempt

Bretty:
Hi I have just passed my cat c test but have not yet done my mod 2 or 4 cpc tests. Does this mean that until I actually complete the tests I can’t drive on my job as a mechanic. I am asking because I’m getting a few conflicting stories some saying I can’t. Some saying I can. I found this on the web. Saying I was exempt from the mod 2 and 4 if.

Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair, maintenance purposes, or new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service

But does this cover collecting the vehicle from and to the customer for repair/service?

Cheers

Bretty.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.524751,-2.504017

Someone will be along shortly to clarify for you but I was under the impression you weren’t allowed to sit a practical driving test without Mod 2 or 4…possibly wrong though. Like I said, someone will be along soon :slight_smile:

Sam Millar:
Someone will be along shortly to clarify for you but I was under the impression you weren’t allowed to sit a practical driving test without Mod 2 or 4…possibly wrong though. Like I said, someone will be along soon :slight_smile:

A driver without dcpc aquired rights can pass the LGV test without having initial dcpc modules 2 and 4 - many do as they only want to drive privately such as driving their own horseboxes

Bretty:

Hi Bretty,

From the wording that you’ve quoted, I think that you need to pass modules 2 & 4.

It says: "Vehicles undergoing road tests… " and then gives some examples of road tests. So, IMHO, collecting a vehicle from a customer in a routine way for servicing doesn’t count as "Vehicles undergoing road tests… "
Still using the same wording… if a vehicle has been repaired at your garage, it seems you’d be ok to test drive it, but returning the vehicle to the customer as fit for service isn’t a test drive.

:bulb: Besides that, it’s probably a good idea to get your modules 2 & 4 done and dusted just in case you may need them in the future.

ROG:
There is a grey area at the moment in regards to mechanics taking a LGV to and from MOT - the authorities cannot decide if this should be dcpc exempt so are waiting for someone to bring a court case for a definition

ROG,

A simple reading of the what’s actually written could suggest that taking a vehicle to an M.O.T. test isn’t exempt, because an M.O.T. test isn’t a road test.

From the Regulation:
3(2)(c)

(c)which is undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or that is a new or rebuilt vehicle which has not yet been put into service;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/605/regulation/3/made

IMHO, the key words here are “road tests,” so a [post '97] driver collecting and delivering a “relevant vehicle” (defined in Reg.3(1)) to/from a customer or taking a “relevant vehicle” to/from an M.O.T test would need modules 2 & 4.
I think the key question here is: Does taking a vehicle to/from an M.O.T test count as a “road test?” (I don’t think so.)

Sorry ROG, I’m not seeing a grey area here, so which “authorities” declared this as a “grey area?”

Below is an extract taken from the JAUPT guidance notes about driver CPC. It lists the types of vehicles that can be driven without the need for a CPC.

2.7 | Exemptions
There are certain exemptions that apply to vehicles:

• with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h
  • used by or under the control of the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and
    forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of
    new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service
  • used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions
  • used in the course of driving lessons for any person wishing to obtain a driving licence or
    Driver CPC
  • used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
  • carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work,
    provided that driving the vehicle is not the driver’s principal activity.

I think it could be argued that a mechanic may be covered by the last one as clearly driving the vehicle is not the person’s main job.

The advice above however about passing the 2 tests is probably good advice especially as they are not particularly difficult to pass and it may come in handy later anyway.

LGVTrainer:
Below is an extract taken from the JAUPT guidance notes about driver CPC. It lists the types of vehicles that can be driven without the need for a CPC.

2.7 | Exemptions
There are certain exemptions that apply to vehicles:

• with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h
  • used by or under the control of the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and
    forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of
    new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service
  • used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions
  • used in the course of driving lessons for any person wishing to obtain a driving licence or
    Driver CPC
  • used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
  • carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work,
    provided that driving the vehicle is not the driver’s principal activity.

I think it could be argued that a mechanic may be covered by the last one as clearly driving the vehicle is not the person’s main job.

That’s maybe a fair point if one only reads the second part of the sentence, but to fit that exemption, the mechanic would need to be “carrying material or equipment used by the driver” etc, so I don’t think a mechanic needs a “relevant vehicle” for the task of carrying his “material or equipment.”
:bulb: I’ve a feeling that that particular exemption was aimed at people such as scaffolders.

LGVTrainer:
The advice above however about passing the 2 tests is probably good advice especially as they are not particularly difficult to pass and it may come in handy later anyway.

Agreed!! :sunglasses: :smiley: :grimacing:

from what little knowledge I understand of it, your cpc 2 and 4, needs to be passed or the driver and or company could be liable for a fine up to 1000 pounds.

j4ck0:
from what little knowledge I understand of it, your cpc 2 and 4, needs to be passed or the driver and or company could be liable for a fine up to 1000 pounds.

Hi j4ck0,

I also believe this to be the case, but there are some legitimate exemptions.

IMHO, there isn’t an exemption for the OP’s question though. :frowning:

My bet is that they are going to shelve the whole thing shortly, so few drivers have taken it, and even a year ago VOSA and the Government knew there was insufficient time to play catch-up, The Powers That Be are not going to have empty supermarket shelves and rioting on the streets for want of a piece of paper.

Harry Monk:
My bet is that they are going to shelve the whole thing shortly, so few drivers have taken it, and even a year ago VOSA and the Government knew there was insufficient time to play catch-up,

As usual the Govt is only partially correct

True, the uptake is less than expected, but from what I have deduced the dcpc trainers are only working currently at about 20% capacity so that leaves plenty of scope to deal with a rush in the last 12 months

Harry Monk:
My bet is that they are going to shelve the whole thing shortly, so few drivers have taken it, and even a year ago VOSA and the Government knew there was insufficient time to play catch-up, The Powers That Be are not going to have empty supermarket shelves and rioting on the streets for want of a piece of paper.

Hi Harry,

I think most people dearly wish for that, but Beverley Bell seems to think otherwise…

The driver training requirement is definitely not going away, …

The rest is at the foot of This page

This is what my CPC trainers said on the course last month- National and International CPC, not DCPC, although they taught that too- the main trainer was also a consultant with the Government and used to name-drop about what he had said to Lord so-and-so last month about the car crash that was about to happen come DCPC D-day, and everybody in power does seem to acknowledge that only around half of the nation’s HGV drivers will be legally allowed to work after implementation.

Personally, I think that if I pass the CPC, then I should be exempt from the DCPC, and I’m going to suggest that to my MP.

I would say the chances of the DCPC going away are Zero. It is not a UK rule we, like the other 26 EU countries have had to implement the legislation into our own National law.

As you probably know the theory test is changing from next week and the questions will no longer be published. Do you really think that if that change meant very few people were able to pass it, that they would say “Dont worry we will forget that, just take the driving test” not a chance.

I can’t see what the problem with attending 1 day per year is. There are no tests to pass and most drivers will learn something if they bother to look for the right subject to attend. Come 10/09/14 things wont be that bad anyway as everyone that has passed the initial CPC since 2009 will not expire on the same day as the rest anyway. Might even push the wages up a bit.

As regards the Operators CPC there is absolutely no relationship between that and the DCPC. I have held my Nat and Int for both Road Haulage and Ppassenger Transport since the mid 80’s without ever having to update it. The idea of DCPC is for drivers to remain current with legislation on a regular basis.

My advice is do the 35 hours as soon as possible. You get an additional 5 years added onto 10/09/14 anyway so nothing else to woory about until 2019.

BTW we do not offer the DCPC training so I am not trying to sell anything…just an opinion.

:bulb: Some operator CPC course providers have got JAUPT approval for some of the operator CPC to count for DCPC, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that all operator CPC courses have the option of DCPC hours.