Cpc help

I need help regarding my cpc ! Passed my class 2 years ago never done any driving since, doing my class 1 in the new year and need my cpc as been offered some part time work, so need my cpc, i can just do my mod 2 and 4 would that be enough ? And how do i get started doing that as it seems i cant get registered on the system to book a mod 2 test ! Any help please !

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Book the mod 2 here:

gov.uk/book-theory-test

As you did your theory a while ago I would brush up on that as the mod 2 will have lots of those questions in it.

Contact a local trainer for the mod 4 as you will need access to a truck for the practical demo.

You must have passed mod 2 before you can take mod 4 I believe.

Tried that but i cant get the option for mod 2 to come up on the list of tests ! All to do with when i passed my class 2 ! The helpline tells me to do it online but i cant ! Going to try the helpline again on monday

When you get to mod 4 watch this video

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHp7dd4itm8

I watched this video and an hours training with my instructor and passed easy.
The video is very good and a must watch to prepare for mod 4.

How many years ago did you pass cat C ?

If you held a cat C licence before the HGV CPC became law in September 2009, or if you passed the car test before January of 1997, you could do 35 hours of DCPC periodic training rather than mods 2 and 4.

As you cannot book a mod 2 test on-line I’m guessing you have grandfather rights so can do the periodic training or mods 2 and 4.

By the way, you could get some of the periodic training hours with the cat C+E training.

You would have to make sure the cat C+E training course is approved by JAUPT though.

Thanks for the help
, how do i go about getting started with the cpc then ? Do i have to apply ? All very confused at moment !

When did you pass the class 2 ?

Passed my class 2 in feb 04 if thats any help

landroverman:
Passed my class 2 in feb 04 if thats any help

In that case you have a choice, you can do mods 2 and 4 which are tests you can pass or fail, or you can do 35 hours of CPC training which is basically sitting in a classroom for 35 hours but there is no pass or fail test.

Depending on your location there probably won’t be a big difference in cost, but that is something you may want to check on.

When you do the class 1 training you can get some CPC training towards the 35 hours training, but if you want to work before that you’ll need to do the training before the class 1.

If you tell us your rough location someone may be able to tell you of the cheapest CPC training courses in your area.

Did you pass your car test before 1997? If you did then you will have had C1 on grandfather rights. All that means is that the route you are expected to take is the 35 hours periodic training. As has been mentioned, you MAY be able to get some of this from your CE if you can wait that long.

Alternatively, the rules have changed to allow you to take the Initial cpc. This is Mod 2 (case studies test at the theory test centre) followed by Mod 4 (practical demonstration test taken at a practical test centre or with some trainers).

Your trainer will assist you with applying for the Mod 2 test if that is the route you choose.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was initially looking at doing the two modules as opposed to the 35 hours and someone messaged me this info (not on this site, another place) in the end I decided to do the 35 hours though…

if you have done NO CPC as yet you can opt to do the initial CPC as per new drivers. A fifty question CPC case study at your local theory centre then the CPC pt 4 show me tell me practical demonstration at the practical test centre. That will get you your initial CPC 5 year card.

If you go down my suggested route, you need to phone,
03002001122 Dsa there are two more digits and follow the link to theory test. The person on the other end has to override the national computer to allow you into the initial system.

The info above is absolutely correct. But, just for clarity, it’s only drivers who passed their car test prior to 1997 who have choices. Anyone after that (assuming they haven’t passed anything in C category before Sept 2009) has no choice but to do Mods 2 and 4 - the initial driver cpc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Given that the OP passed cat C in 2004 he may well have a lot of revising to do for mod 2, personally I’d say he would want to think about it very carefully before taking mods 2 and 4, both of which can be failed.

Thanks for all the info, im up in northumberland if thats any help for training, any idea of the rough cost for the 35hrs training ?

landroverman:
Thanks for all the info, im up in northumberland if thats any help for training, any idea of the rough cost for the 35hrs training ?

Between £200- 300 I thinks.

I can’t put a price on the emotional cost of spending a week in the classroom unfortunately.

What do i have to do to get started with the cpc process ? Do i have to apply or register anywhere ?

landroverman:
What do i have to do to get started with the cpc process ? Do i have to apply or register anywhere ?

It depends on which route you want to take.

If you want to do mods 2 and 4 phone the number in this post and tell them that you have aquired rights to the Driver CPC and want to book mod 2.

If you want to do the 35 hours training, phone round local trainers to see when you can do a course and how much it will cost, when you’ve found the courses you want just book it with the CPC trainer.

For the 35 hours periodic training you have to do five 7 hour courses, they can be any courses that count towards the DCPC, in fact you can do the same course 5 times if you want.

So for the 35 hours training your next step is to find the cheapest courses within travelling distance, just check out the local papers/Internet/yellow pages ec’t.

Here’s a start :wink:

If you wish to follow the periodic training (35hrs) route then you can find training centres here jaupt.org.uk/centre-search. Simply ring them to find out availability and cost. You will find variations between training centres.

If you want to do it as cheaply as possible, regardless of quality, then that’s the way to do it. But if you’d rather get some proper training in return for your time and money, have a look around for recommendations.

There are strong arguments for getting an additional skill in the process eg ADR, HAIB etc.

Costs typically vary between £200 and £500 for the 5 days. But not all training is the same and cheapest is rarely best.

Folks often say they start to lose the will to live during cpc. Something very wrong with the training or with preconceived ideas in that case.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So i just book myself on some courses and the training provider does the paperwork and gets my card ?