CPC

im a hgv mechanic, just passed my cat c early this month, i know i dont need a cpc too road test vehicles, but seems a grey area as regards collecting a vehicle too bring into the workshop for service/repair etc, then again too return it too the customers yard after, any one able too legally clear this up?

cheers danny

My understanding is that it would be incedental to your job. The example used in the info I have been looking at was a builder who had to drive supplies from the depot to the job and back. His actual job was construction, so didn’t need the dcpc.

I assume the same would apply to you as your job is to fix the cars, delivering them is just a part of the job.

Raz38:
My understanding is that it would be incedental to your job. The example used in the info I have been looking at was a builder who had to drive supplies from the depot to the job and back. His actual job was construction, so didn’t need the dcpc.

I assume the same would apply to you as your job is to fix the cars, delivering them is just a part of the job.

Hi Raz38,

The example of the builder that you gave is correct, but the exemption for LGV mechanics/fitters only seems to cover them for road testing.
Taking a vehicle to/from a customer or even the M.O.T test in a routine way doesn’t seem to be covered by that exemption, but I believe that a clarification has been asked for. TBH, I’m not sure of the outcome of that as yet.

It was either VOLVO or MERC dcpc division that went intoo this issue with the head DSA bods as they are dcpc training providers and have mechanics

The DSA stated that mechanics taking LGVs to MOT are not exempt

To confirm this please call the DSA dcpc hotline or VOLVO/MERC dcpc section - I did and was told the same by the DSA and the provider - sorry cannot remember which provider it was