CPC for drivers

Trying to find info with regards to new drivers cpc course I.E. when will it come into affect just asking for a mate who is looking to do his class 1 not a subject I have looked into.

Cheers

Steve

It comes on for new HGV drivers in 2009 and all drivers would have to complete their first Course of Training by 2014.

The course will consist of 35 hours training to be taken at any point in the 5 year period, so you could do it all in one go or do a day a year.

stupid question i know but is this for us who already drive aswell :confused: :confused:

Yes, but you don’t have to complete the training until 2014.

So that’s me stopped driving in 2014. I work part time for an agency and a few owner drivers - non of them will pay for my CPC so i am shafted.

Can you still keep the entitlement if you dont do the training?

Probably not would be my guess .

The Biker:
Can you still keep the entitlement if you dont do the training?

IIRC you don’t actually lose the entitlement it’s just the amount of driving you’re allowed to do is very limited.

You keep the entitlement but you cannot be employed as a HGV driver.

I wouldn’t worry. When it comes to D-Day -1, companies will be falling over each other to offer it as part of a recruitment package.

You can read about the subject HERE.

:wink: :wink:

Krankee:
You can read about the subject HERE.

:wink: :wink:

Nothing there says that existing drivers will have to take that training, only that they would expect adverts for vacancies to ask for it. Is there an official DoT stance on this ?
It wouldn’t make any sense to throw out drivers with 30 years experience in favour of some git with a piece of paper. I doubt anybody here had to go and get their C1 when that came into effect, so how is this stuff different ?

its all about customer service, fuel efficiency etc etc etc. all the stuff we already know about but we now have to be recognised to know it. i suspect that it is aimed at giving new drivers a heads up on how to conduct themselves as professionals but it will be a blanket ruling for all of us. the idea is to promote our standing in the public eye. ■■■■ eggs and earn no more respect from the public than you do now :unamused:

scanny77:
its all about customer service, fuel efficiency etc etc etc. all the stuff we already know about but we now have to be recognised to know it. i suspect that it is aimed at giving new drivers a heads up on how to conduct themselves as professionals but it will be a blanket ruling for all of us. the idea is to promote our standing in the public eye. ■■■■ eggs and earn no more respect from the public than you do now :unamused:

Maybe it might be teaching some to ■■■■ eggs, but anybody who has read some of the questions and replies on this forum, especially about tacho and drivers hours regs, will know there are a lot drivers with many years experience who don’t fully understand a fundamental part of thier job.

scanny77:
its all about customer service, fuel efficiency etc etc etc. all the stuff we already know about but we now have to be recognised to know it.

Judging by some of the absolutely moronic rubbish spouted from the mouths of some of the so called “professionals” on this and other forums, it is blatantly obvious many of them haven’t a clue about a great deal. One just needs to take a look at the massive amount of drivers hours and WTD questions.

Looked at the City and Guilds web page and can find no mention of it.

as a relative newbie (compared to most HGV drivers) i am not going to criticise any here. i personally have an interest in the rules and regs but that is part hobby, part career development. i want off the road and into ops. i cannot and will not criticise anyone who does not read through all the crap that we live by. i read it by choice.

scanny77:
i cannot and will not criticise anyone who does not read through all the crap that we live by. i read it by choice.

There you are scanny, you’ve found the very reason this is being introduced. :wink:

Unfortunately, these days the ‘crap we live by’ is a fundamental part of the job but a majority who do the job don’t bother to learn it and as a result will now have no choice if they wish to continue working as an LGV driver. Look at teh number of posts on any of the truck forums asking about the rules and regulations, they don’t all come from newbies. Many are from drivers who have been doing the job for years but have never read the tacho regs, although they are more than happy to believe the MMTM rules they hear spouted in waiting rooms and truckstops. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

If drivers had been more willing to learn this stuff there might not have been a need for a driver’s CPC. On a related note I’m sure there will be loud wailing and gnashing of teeth when all the no overtaking restrictions for trucks start to spring up around the country, and most of that will be from the I’m going half a klick faster than you so must get past at all costs driver. :wink: :smiley:

Funny thing is though Neil, you only know what you need to know, well i do anyway. I’ve never double manned and if i had to i would be asking about it.
Some guys may of worked in a builders merchants or similar where they work ‘standard hours’ and then get a new job and are totally lost with it all.

Mike-C:
Funny thing is though Neil, you only know what you need to know, well i do anyway. I’ve never double manned and if i had to i would be asking about it.

That’s true Mike, but as you point out you have found out the stuff you need to know. If someone who has only ever worked on domestic rules for instance changed to working under tacho rules then of course they would ask questions.

The type of people I was referring to in my post above are those who have never even bothered to do that, run by a strange set of rules picked up from various urban myths mixed in with a bit of the rules and topped off with some bits from rules that changed years ago. :wink: :smiley: These are the ones that even when shown documentary proof still prefer the MMTM rules. :wink:

The other problem with drivers learning the regs from the hearsay from drivers, is that it’s normally the thickest driver with the biggest gob telling everybody the “correct way” do to it, and how “even the VOSA men don’t know the regs as good as me, I was stopped once and I told them they wrong, but they wouldn’t back down… Even though they were wrong… Blah Blah!” If You’ve not met one of them yet, you will in time. The industry has plenty to go around. :angry: :smiley:

muckles:
If You’ve not met one of them yet, you will in time. The industry has plenty to go around. :angry: :smiley:

I’ve met 'em. I won. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The best way to make them shrivel like a salted snail is to produce a copy of the regs (yes, I do carry one :blush: :blush: ) and ask them to find the bit they are so adamant about.