Driver CPC. . . .?

Right, I’m quite sure I’ve heard another load of BS last night while pulled up at Lockerbie truck stop, but maybe someone could enlighten the world if it’s true or not.

I was talking to a couple of drivers, and apparently a few of the lads from their firm are leaving soon as they’ve apparently not done enough of the Driver CPC, as from this September all commercial HGV drivers need to have done at least 2 modules. I took it as a load of rubbish, but wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Reubs766:
Right, I’m quite sure I’ve heard another load of BS last night while pulled up at Lockerbie truck stop, but maybe someone could enlighten the world if it’s true or not.

I was talking to a couple of drivers, and apparently a few of the lads from their firm are leaving soon as they’ve apparently not done enough of the Driver CPC, as from this September all commercial HGV drivers need to have done at least 2 modules. I took it as a load of rubbish, but wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Don’t know if it’s BS or not.

But wouldn’t surprise me in the least if it was the case.

Total bull. All commercial drivers, licenced before Sept 2009, have until Sept 2014 to complete 35 hours - 5 days - of periodic training.

The confusion is probably that companies are often looking for at least 2 days to have been completed when they’re looking for new drivers.

Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Local agency here will not take on a new driver unless he has got 14 hrs.

Its a company rule or diktat,its not law more a T.M. flexing his muscles.

IT IS A FACT that some employers now require drivers who apply for a
job with them to already have three DriverCPC modules completed.

IT IS ALSO A FACT that many senior Drivers ( with perhaps less than
two years before they reach 65 ) will not bother taking the DriverCPC
and they will “retire early” in September 2014.

Some Drivers, between age 62 and 65, have already retired. They have
discovered that something called Pension Credit is very generous. :wink:

Most employers who have implemented DCPC training will only take on drivers who are similarly up to speed, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone really.

So much for those who argued that having a driver cpc wouldn’t make you any more employable…the fact is that without one you are going to be increasingly unemployable.

GasGas:
Most employers who have implemented DCPC training will only take on drivers who are similarly up to speed, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone really.

So much for those who argued that having a driver cpc wouldn’t make you any more employable…the fact is that without one you are going to be increasingly unemployable.

And if they rely on that as a licence to drive there going to end up with some realy class drivers arent they ? better than reading a comic this i just spilled my tea … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dieseldoforme:
IT IS A FACT that some employers now require drivers who apply for a
job with them to already have three DriverCPC modules completed.

IT IS ALSO A FACT that many senior Drivers ( with perhaps less than
two years before they reach 65 ) will not bother taking the DriverCPC
and they will “retire early” in September 2014.

Some Drivers, between age 62 and 65, have already retired. They have
discovered that something called Pension Credit is very generous. :wink:

It’s also a fact that some companies are getting penalised by the TC’s if their drivers are on zero hours for DCPC.

shytalk:

GasGas:

And if they rely on that as a licence to drive there going to end up with some realy class drivers arent they ? better than reading a comic this i just spilled my tea … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s nowt to do with that; it’s more the fact that if you’re going to stay with the firm they’re going to have to pay more out to keep you working. Might not be a lot in an individual case but if you, for example, take ten drivers on who need an extra two days training, that’s a total of 20 days downtime for them which would have to be covered by overtime or agency drivers. Plus the extra cost of the extra training. So it really is a no-brainer that drivers who are up to date, or thereabouts, will get first dibs. What price your principles now? :wink:

Exactly.

I think most employers are looking to replace ‘like with like’ so if all their drivers have, say, three blocks of training, and then one leaves, they are going to be looking for a replacement driver with three blocks of training.

Obviously, the more training you’ve completed the happier they will be to take you on.

So,as more employers grasp the nettle of Driver CPC, those drivers who have elected not to take part will find themselves feeling less and less wanted.

What a load of bollox, this entire thread. You guys are spending too much time in RDCs.

Rob K:
What a load of bollox, this entire thread. You guys are spending too much time in RDCs.

i can’t wait to see the SAID FACES OF SMARTARSES when it gets scrapped! :laughing: they can’t sack us all! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: I’ll be hanging up the keys! :sunglasses:

How can you discredit a driver who’s done the job for 30 odd yrs as not employable because of a tax brought into affect by some dummy ! so you have your card because you sat in a clasroom for 35 hours, the class of life is where you should be…you cant buy experience… :frowning:

Fatboy slimslow:

Rob K:

i can’t wait to see the SAID FACES OF SMARTARSES when it gets scrapped! :laughing: they can’t sack us all! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: I’ll be hanging up the keys! :sunglasses:

I remember people saying the same about tachographs…“I’m not driving with a spy in the cab.”

They won’t have to sack you all, because most companies will have enough trained drivers to be able to carry on as normal. The statistic relating to training undertaken so far show this reasonably clearly now, with the number of training hours undertaken rising sharply every month.

They will sack some of you, who will then have to get trained quickly if you want to carry on driving.

And don’t think that the wages are great outside transport. I saw an advert recently for an assistant manager at our local post office…handling large amounts of cash, stamps etc and supervising two counter clerks for the massive wage of…

…£7.50 an hour.

The counter clerks in my local bank are paid even less, and have had no wage rise for two years.

It’s not the 1970s any more.

shytalk:
How can you discredit a driver who’s done the job for 30 odd yrs as not employable because of a tax brought into affect by some dummy ! so you have your card because you sat in a clasroom for 35 hours, the class of life is where you should be…you cant buy experience… :frowning:

It seems that neither the classroom nor the experience is making any
difference to the number of Drivers killing or being killed due to
stupid, avoidable accidents.

Something needs to change - like ridiculous 15 hour shifts.

I would have a lot more respect for the cpc if it was hands on,make people learn usefull things from day one by sending them out to learn the job,everybody knows when you first pass your test and get sent out on your own it’s all trial and error and you learn from your mistakes and unless you grew up around the job and went out with your dad for years ■■■■ is gonna happen.
how did you first learn to put a pallet on your suzies when going through a wagon wash?that’s right you ripped then off with the rollers the time before.
how did you first learn not to slightly run on the grass on a B road?that’s right you crapped yourself the last time when the trailer started pulling in :blush:
who told you to get the height of that trailer before you set off?that’s right you got to a bridge and like a nugget got out to look.

these and a lot of other balls up’s are what should be getting taught.

DriverCPC Module 1: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 2: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 3: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 4: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 5: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

The above topics may be vitally important in a Truck Driver’s career.

The above schedule may be stupid and wasteful.

The above is perfectly legal.

That’s how stupid & wasteful our Transport Ministers have been.

Dieseldoforme:
DriverCPC Module 1: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 2: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 3: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 4: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

DriverCPC Module 5: Topics: Customer Service & Fuel Efficiency .

The above topics may be vitally important in a Truck Driver’s career.

The above schedule may be stupid and wasteful.

The above is perfectly legal.

That’s how stupid & wasteful our Transport Ministers have been.

Or perhaps they just credited drivers with enough intelligence to stop them choosing the same course over and over again.

There would be nothing to stop you going to night school and doing an A level in Greek every year for the next five years, if you wanted too. Your time and up to you if you waste it.

Over a period of five years some drivers might actually benefit from going on say, an hours and tachos course twice, to act as a refresher and also get them up to speed with any changes in the law (which can sometimes come through case law in the court rather than legislation).

But it’s your choice, and your responsibility if you make a bad one.

I know other countries have been more prescripitive than the UK. In Ireland, every driver has to do one block of training a year, for instance. Here you have the choice as to what you do and when you do it.

Yeh! :unamused: like we are going to give any credit or creedance from somebody whose opinion is based on the fact that they are making a living out of it :unamused:
A Mickey Mouse qualification which in reality is a stealth tax, does not a good driver make.
It does not fill you with confidence in the industry in the future, from both a safety and professional integrity point of view, that a new driver with minimal experience and a DCPC will get preference for employment over a driver with 20 to 30 yrs under his belt that has not, utter madness!

I also agree with the guy about the 15hr shift thing.