Returning to Driving

Info please.
Finally after 7 years. I am in a position to get my Class1 back. Do i have to complete the full Driver CPC before i can get back behind the wheel. Am wanting to do weekend work to fund this and my ADR. Not only did i get stuffed through 1 european directive. But 2…
Thanks in anticipation…

Yes but if you haven’t held CPC before you can do the Modules 2 and 4 (■■) as new drivers do, I think. Someone might be along to say that’s borrocks but that’s my understanding of it.

A.

You’ll need to do 35 hours 5x7 hours. Or if you had HGV entitlement on your license, even if it’s just 7.5t gained when you passed your car test, before 10th September 2009, then you have the option of doing the mod 2 and 4 that new passes do, the initial dcpc. I’m guessing there cheaper and it’s quicker, but you can fail them, whereas the 35 hours is just turn up

stevieboy308:
You’ll need to do 35 hours 5x7 hours. Or if you had HGV entitlement on your license, even if it’s just 7.5t gained when you passed your car test, before 10 September 2009, then you have the option of doing the mod 2 and 4 that new passes do, the initial dcpc. I’m guessing there cheap and it’s quicker, but you can fail them, whereas the 35 hours is just turn up

You could have the Modules 2 and 4 done before lunch, IMO impossible to fail the practical one but the theory one with the case studies could catch you out if unprepared plus I don’t think the questions were very good, vague or with answers that weren’t totally correct on some.

If that option is available I’d go for it, much cheaper and quicker.

A.

Adonis.:

stevieboy308:
You’ll need to do 35 hours 5x7 hours. Or if you had HGV entitlement on your license, even if it’s just 7.5t gained when you passed your car test, before 10 September 2009, then you have the option of doing the mod 2 and 4 that new passes do, the initial dcpc. I’m guessing there cheap and it’s quicker, but you can fail them, whereas the 35 hours is just turn up

You could have the Modules 2 and 4 done before lunch, IMO impossible to fail the practical one but the theory one with the case studies could catch you out if unprepared plus I don’t think the questions were very good, vague or with answers that weren’t totally correct on some.

If that option is available I’d go for it, much cheaper and quicker.

A.

Right, yeah that sounds like what I’d be doing then. I don’t know anything about them other than a lad from work failed a couple of times! But he’s not the sharpest or most motivated!!

stevieboy308:
Right, yeah that sounds like what I’d be doing then. I don’t know anything about them other than a lad from work failed a couple of times! But he’s not the sharpest or most motivated!!

The practical is basically a walk round with a few questions thrown in, that’s all I did anyway.

You can practice for the theory one and I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s not that difficult if you read the questions properly, I can see how people would fail if they didn’t spend some time studying beforehand.

A.

So that’s why I was told there IS a test…?

If you do mods 2 and 4, you have a test…

But if you do the full 35 hours in a class room, you don’t?

Passed both Class 2 and ! in 2005. Lost in 2010. Reason i asked. Somewhere i read back in the mists of time. That 2 days allowed one to drive. If remainder was done in a set time… Seems like goalposts have been moved.
Thanks

Goldfinger:
So that’s why I was told there IS a test…?

If you do mods 2 and 4, you have a test…

But if you do the full 35 hours in a class room, you don’t?

Correct

phantomtraveller1:
Passed both Class 2 and ! in 2005. Lost in 2010. Reason i asked. Somewhere i read back in the mists of time. That 2 days allowed one to drive. If remainder was done in a set time… Seems like goalposts have been moved.
Thanks

No nothing has changed, you’ve always had to have completed either the initial or full 35 hours periodic training

phantomtraveller1:
Thanks

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you lose your class 1?

when i took initial test, doctor put my eyes as 6/6 for both on medical form. Even though i had a lazy eye with a reading of 6/36. good enough forv UK driving at time. But one of those Euro directives 2 years previous. had been implemented, maximum 6/9 good eye 6/12 other eye. Had doctor given true reading, i would not have been able to take test. It only came to light 5 years later when i did new medical, and true reading came to light… could not get grandfather rights, So lost licence and job same day… 2 operations later and a miracle. I now have the correct acuity to regain said licence.

I had to get better glasses to keep driving HGV so my eyesight was up to scratch for medical, might a been an option for yourself

The acuity. WITH glasses was 6/36. I was told it would not get any better… Hence the miracle of 2X cataract operations…

Glad it’s sorted. I’m surprised you actually had to sit a test again, the buggers!

Thanks for your help. I contacted a number of companies who do the courses. Found one that combines both ADR and cpc for price of first. Just medical to pass. Then see what Dvla says. Before i book it…

phantomtraveller1:
Thanks for your help. I contacted a number of companies who do the courses. Found one that combines both ADR and cpc for price of first. Just medical to pass. Then see what Dvla says. Before i book it…

Good luck with the DVLA

Again Thankyou… today after 7 long years i finally regained my HGV. They said it would take a miracle. New Years eve at 16 30. That miracle happened.