CPC in 2015

Hello,

Just a quick question. I’m confused about the CPC — or what I think I understand sounds a bit mental.

I passed my test in 1993, so have 7.5 rights etc. Now if I want to start driving as a job in say January 2015 a 7.5 tonner or I did my Cat 2 license, does that mean that before I can drive for a living I’ll also have to do the full 35 hours CPC? Because the “grandfather rights” expire in Sep 2014?

So like to drive a 7.5 ton van for agency pay I’d have to shell out and do 35 hours training before getting behind the wheel? Surely that can’t be right?

Cheers for any insight, and sorry I’m sure this has been said before, but I just can’t get it.

In a word, yes.

Your entitlement expires Sept 14 so you need to complete 35 hours before you start driving commercially. There are a few exemptions so it’s worth looking into them. But if you are employed to drive the truck all day you will need cpc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete for the reply mate - seems a bit excessive to me :slight_smile:

Any idea how much it will cost? Will you be doing some sort of intensive 35 hour course for newbie drivers?

You reckon it’ll start to force wages in the right direction again at least? I don’t mind investing a bit in the licenses and training but I can’t see many people paying out and doing 35 hours to drive a 7.5 ton van for 7 quid an hour.

Regards

Mat

We are getting lots of calls along similar lines as the OP. At the end of the day everyone had 5 years to attend 5 days training. Just 1 per year. That way it wouldn’t seem such a large task now.

I’ve been living in Cancun Mexico for the last 8 years…I’m moving back to the idyllic paradise of Rugby in 2015, so I couldn’t really do the training from here.

And they’ll also be plenty of other people who decide they want a career change or to get into driving after sep 2014, so I don’t entirely agree that “At the end of the day everyone had 5 years to attend 5 days training”.

matkirk:
And they’ll also be plenty of other people who decide they want a career change or to get into driving after sep 2014, so I don’t entirely agree that “At the end of the day everyone had 5 years to attend 5 days training”.

maybe so, but there has to be a “cut off” date

there is one place in north wales doing all 35 hours for £150 I think - it got mentioned on here somewhere

Thanks ROG, I 'll have a search of the boards for it. Much appreciated.

matkirk:
Thanks ROG, I 'll have a search of the boards for it. Much appreciated.

recoverytech.co.uk/

Wow thanks ROG, that’s a steal ain’t it. 149 quid for 4 nights accommodation in Colwyn Bay and the 35 hour course. :smiley: