Could be tramping

told i could be tramping,or at least out a few nights,would you lads recomend an invertor to run a small tv,kettle etc,if so what power ie 300 w,500 watt,ive seen some on line around 30 quid,or just run on the 12 v, cheers

You would need a massive inverter to run a kettle so you’re better off with a portable gas stove for that.

got one of them on my list too,intend to eat /cook in cab when i can,

you can get a 24v kettle, but, personnaly, i would go along with what Harry has said, gas stove and kettle.

the 24v kettles i have known have either blown the fuse in the ■■■ lighter socket or just packed up after a short while :confused: waste of money :confused:

the inverter, i run a 15" flatscreen and a PS2 from a 300w 24v inverter

now, this will depend on your tv in question, some tv’s are soft start (as mine is), others are not and will blow a 300w inverter

if you buy a larger inverter, such as 600w, these have to be (read should be) hard wired into the truck

if your truck has got a 12v socket and also the tv is 12v or 240v, personally, i would plug it into the 12v

i got one from here you could try them

tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ … index.html

Del

The chances are your 12v socket will be a Hella, so you’ll need an adaptor to run anything with a cigar lighter fitting, through the 12v.
Maplins do them at £6.99, Hella to cigar twin
- HERE-

Portable gas stoves can usually be found on your local market for less than a tenner. Any more than that and you’ve been robbed.

if you go on that truck website they sell tv’s that have a end that plugs into either the 12v or 24v socket in ur truck might be worth a try?

that would be either

truckstuff.co.uk/

or

roadpro.co.uk/

Mini gas cookers rule. One cheap camping kettle on top, and coffee is ready in minutes. Or cup-a-soup… or…whatever… I have this setup, and the only downside of it being so quick is I go through gas cans and bottled water so fast :laughing: :smiley:

A 200-300watt inverter should be enough to run a small telly etc. If you wanted to run a domestic kettle, you’d need an inverter of about 1500w… which is impractical.
Get a 24v plug in inverter, it’s easier and safer. You plug a 12v inverter into a 24v socket, and chances are, it’ll blow. a 24v inverter plugged into 12v will just not work.

Joshh:
if you go on that truck website they sell tv’s that have a end that plugs into either the 12v or 24v socket in ur truck might be worth a try?

better still, go on the truck web site,to find the TV you like, then google it and buy it for £100’s less
examples being here compared to here
saving £176 for 30 seconds work :smiley:

I’d go for a laptop over a tv.

When i was tramping my laptop was great, could watch films on it, could surf the net, play games on it and could watch tv on it as well with a tv card. Was a 17inch laptop so decent size, plus easy to pack away and hide in the cab when parked somewhere.

Kenny1975:
I’d go for a laptop over a tv.

When i was tramping my laptop was great, could watch films on it, could surf the net, play games on it and could watch tv on it as well with a tv card. Was a 17inch laptop so decent size, plus easy to pack away and hide in the cab when parked somewhere.

That is what I do,I got Satellite for it as well, but to be honest it only ever gets used if I am away for a weekend as it takes a bit of setting up.
It also provides me with a very comprehensive GPS mapping system for all of Europe. Beats Tom Tom by a golden mile

allikat:
Mini gas cookers rule. One cheap camping kettle on top, and coffee is ready in minutes. Or cup-a-soup… or…whatever… I have this setup, and the only downside of it being so quick is I go through gas cans and bottled water so fast :laughing: :smiley:

Gas cartridges are expensive up the road but you can get a dozen of these at Argos for £16.99, ref 340/0267