Suggestions please,power leads

Now I finally have a locker at work, I’m thinking of buying a kettle to use in the Scanny. Where can I get an adapter to plug the, er, plug in to then plug into the power socket in the truck; like a ■■■ lighter 12v or 24v choice. I want one like this rather than a travel lead as I can then plug in my dvd player too.

are you on about inverters■■?, if so see the link below
roadking.co.uk/products.asp? … =Inverters

My mate has an inverter shaped like a can so it can sit in the drinks holder in the cab, i dont know where he got it from.

daz

Try here as a starter Si. This isn’t the only place to get what you need but will give you an idea as to what is available and the likely cost. Be careful that you don’t overload the circuits though as the kettle will need as much as MOST of the accesory/lighter circuits are rated at.

I use an anderson connector,as per tail lift connections, fused at 15amps on heavy duty speaker wire and though I have to get out to connect up cannot overload this circuit which has a primarary fuse much higher than the secondary 15amps.

roadpro.co.uk/retail/product … d+adaptors

thanks lads :smiley: My brother just messaged me and told me he’s got an inverter I can have for free, happy days :wink:

hmmm might be dangerous with a hot drink at a roundabout!

roadking.co.uk/products.asp? … ose%20Tray

yes I am joking !!

CBR_SI:
thanks lads :smiley: My brother just messaged me and told me he’s got an inverter I can have for free, happy days :wink:

check the inverter output :wink: if you’re running a 240 kettle off an inverter it will most likely blow something - kettles are rated 2000-3000w, inverters are usually 150-300w

Hi Si

DO NOT PLUG A DOMESTIC MAINS KETTLE INTO AN INVERTOR…

Invertors are meant to power such items as TV’s, Radio’s, perhaps a small fridge, or specially designed truck cookers, BUT NOT normal kettles, cookers, etc…

To achieve 240v from a 12/24v source is quite simple, but you have to appreciate that you don’t get sumut for nothing…

DOUBLE the output voltage will HALF the current…
i.e. If using a 24v 5A socket, you will have 48v @ 2.5A

If using a 24V 5A socket to get mains, you’ll be looking at TEN times less current, i.e. 240v @0.5A Certainly NOT enuf to run a kettle…

HTH’s…

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

PS - WATTS are a multiplication of the Voltage and Current… (Ohms law)

So a 2KW mains kettle will draw (2000/240) 8.3 amps… Which is substantially more than the 0.5 amps most invertors will kick out…

Ohms law =

P(w)

I (Amps) x V (Volts)

So P = IxV, I = P/V

Luv

NOT normal kettles, cookers, etc

Bugger that rules out the Electic Fan asist oven, with 4 ring and overhead grill we were gona fit at work then. :laughing:

Most camping/Caravan shops will sell the Hella plug and a cigarette lighter type socket.

I used to wire a 13amp domestic socket to the main board with good heavy duty cable and an inline fuse. then fit a 13 amp plug to the kettle. No more hot plugs , no more leads coming out and never once hit a problem

god why are electrics so complicated? lol looks like a travel kettle then and an the inverter for the DVD :laughing:

cyclicscooby:
PS - WATTS are a multiplication of the Voltage and Current… (Ohms law)

So a 2KW mains kettle will draw (2000/240) 8.3 amps… Which is substantially more than the 0.5 amps most invertors will kick out…

Ohms law =

P(w)

I (Amps) x V (Volts)

So P = IxV, I = P/V

Luv

Actually ohms law is in relation to the effect of voltage with resistance and current etc, ie I V R not wattage, thats I V W

Chrisie and Gurner, you realise thats more than enough electrical theory to get a Ham Foundation License (M3).
To save me typing, heres a link to a past topic
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15532

73 de Tony

Gurner:
Actually ohms law is in relation to the effect of voltage with resistance and current etc, ie I V R not wattage, thats I V W

As stated above, but I was only pointing out how to calculate power useages, not give a lesson in electronics… :unamused:

You’ll also find you’ve got your’s the wrong way round…

I V R doesn’t make sense, and I V W is the wrong way round…

It’s V I R & P I V Using the the recognised standard, the first character is the ‘Over’ :wink:

If you wanted to get pedandtic… (spelling)… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :laughing:

If you really want to get pedantic (and i will as i spent 9 years as an electronics engineer, mainly with TV) It can be any way you want it, I = V/R, hence why i wrote IVR, and I = V/W hence IVW so :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: