Cab TV Questions

I’ve run a search on this on here but couldn’t find the info I’m after.

I’m thinking of getting a small TV for occasional use while parked up. I have some questions.

I’ve had a look in a nearby caravan centre to find they are selling them at almost £300! :open_mouth: I ain’t paying that. However at Asda they are selling a small 12 volt TV for £69. I guess if you swap the power brick for a cig lighter plug it should work OK.

Now how do you know you aren’t running your truck battery flat? I’ve used a small TV on a boat and it flattened the batteries pretty quickly. Can’t see the gaffer being happy if I wake up to a flat battery.

Does anyone have a reasonably priced TV they can recommend?

The mileage you do in a day in truck should keep your battery at full charge. I had one in my DAF running off a 24v inverter and never had any problems.

I think my question is more along the lines of how long you watch it for before that fully charged battery starts to wane. Not that I’m likely to sit watching it all night, I prefer to read and listen to the radio really.

Get a tv asda may aswell get a DVD combo while your at it. Get a small inverter a 150w should cover it as they only run on 90w and a digital aerial and your good to go. Don’t worry about your batteries I have often fell asleep with the tv on all night and fridge on and phone charging with no problems they use very little power.

Get a TV/DVD from Asda, cut the box off and stick the ciggy plug on it and you will have no problems, I used to us one in my boat and would moor up for a couple of days at a time, use the tv for two nights and a bit in the day and nerver had a problem starting the boat a few days later, they dont use muck power.

i wouldnt bother with an inverter for it as your just trying to adjust power from 12-24 volt upto 240 volt which just adjusts it again to 12 volt,

Madguy :smiling_imp:

what about getting one of those yellow starter things from maplins o similar stores.you could run the t.v. from that and charge it while you are running during the day.

I run tv, sky box, cab light and night heater for 2 or 3 hours an evening. I do have a battery low voltage alarm fitted that does provide peace of mind.
You could use something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-0-534-55-Battery-Voltage-Charge-Monitor-12-24-volt-Cd-1-/261084941530?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc9e00cda

I do a night trunk 5 nights a week and have a few hours sitting around every night. I use my laptop to watch tv. Go on to ebay and search for USB TV Dongle. Most of the freeview channels are available. I do the same trunk every night so no need for me to autotune it every time i stop. If you do different runs it only takes a few minutes to search the channels.

Just get a tablet and catchup tv app

Lonewolf Yorks:
I guess if you swap the power brick for a cig lighter plug it should work OK.

That may not be the case, check the input/output voltages of both the power brick, and the lead you intend to replace it with and the input pin on the TV end otherwise you may let the smoke Genie out. As for recomendations of which TV to buy, there are dozens on the market to chose from. The old favourite used to be Tesco`s 16" own brand Technika 16-850 as it came with 240/12 volt option + leads, but they stopped selling them. But ocasionally some come up on Ebay

Lonewolf Yorks:
I’ve run a search on this on here but couldn’t find the info I’m after.

I’m thinking of getting a small TV for occasional use while parked up. I have some questions.

I’ve had a look in a nearby caravan centre to find they are selling them at almost £300! :open_mouth: I ain’t paying that. However at Asda they are selling a small 12 volt TV for £69. I guess if you swap the power brick for a cig lighter plug it should work OK.

Now how do you know you aren’t running your truck battery flat? I’ve used a small TV on a boat and it flattened the batteries pretty quickly. Can’t see the gaffer being happy if I wake up to a flat battery.

Does anyone have a reasonably priced TV they can recommend?

I wouldn’t worry about the battery Wolfie, you have 24v over there, we have 12v here, I leave my TV on all night along with the fridge and it doesn’t drain it.

this is a lot less hassle ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PC-Usb-In … 1e6a2c1fe7

I recently got rid of my old TV and got a flat screen with built in DVD player. I can’t understand why it is obviously 12v but doesn’t have a 12v lead but a 120v lead which I have to plug into my voltage inverter :question:

Pat Hasler:
I recently got rid of my old TV and got a flat screen with built in DVD player. I can’t understand why it is obviously 12v but doesn’t have a 12v lead but a 120v lead which I have to plug into my voltage inverter :question:

you not got the plug sockets in the cupboards or built in invertor by the fridge cupboard pat??

Try maplin I bought a tv which plugged straight into ciggy lighter, its freeview and comes with a magnetic aerial with a cable long enuff to go out the sun roof on a fh, served me well so far