Cost of a retest

I wondered if anyone in the north of england (south yorkshire or thereabouts) could let me know the cost you were charged for a retest by your driver training place. I know people talk about “£89” and that may be the cost of the test itself, but each retest is currently costing me £280.

Hi jeffa it cost me about that for my C+E resit as i paid for the test at £89 and rest was towards the hr i had prior to going on test to clean up the errors i made on 1st test and then for hr i was out on test so i just assumedthe other £189 pound is for the hire of lorry for a few hrs and instructors time etc.

hope that of sum help and i sure sumone will correct me if i am wrong

Thanks. I was just wondering if you went to a training place that was 20 minutes from the testing station whether it would work out cheaper than a training place that’s 1 hour away from the testing station. Or whether £280 is the standard cost of a retest they all charge.

not knowin what all training schools in country charge i wouldn’t think the prices vary alot for a resit a great deal across the country

I’m sure i’ve heard people on the board saying “You can pass class 1 and class 2 for £2000”. Presumably that must mean passing both tests first time? Take the average of 3 or 4 retests each time and you’re looking at more like 4 grand.

Hi JeffA, Like you live 20 mins from a test centre (sheffield ) but my training provider is up in Leeds area just failed my class 2 on Thur ([zb] the gear excersise ) having to pay just over £300 for 1 1/2 days re- training inc test fees

£89 is about right for the cost of the test itself (i.e. the DSA test fee). The rest will cover the cost of the truck, the instructor, diesel, etc.

Hi JeffA, Like you live 20 mins from a test centre (sheffield ) but my training provider is up in Leeds area just failed my class 2 on Thur ([zb] the gear excersise ) having to pay just over £300 for 1 1/2 days re- training inc test fees

That doesn’t sound as pricey as the place I’m at - the £280 I pay is just for the retest itself. No extra training included! [/b]

if that is case i would say they are rippin you off mate for that i would expect sum sort of training as wouldn;t of thought it cost that amount 2 run a unit for a hr while on test.

maybe worth while a PM to mothertrucker she runs a training school see what her views are on it

Hi JeffA
Am I allowed to ask who you’re training with? I passed both categories earlier on this year and I failed my first c+e. I still managed to keep the price below £2000 even though I deliberately did more hours than they recommended.

C

£89 is about right for the cost of the test itself (i.e. the DSA test fee). The rest will cover the cost of the truck, the instructor, diesel, etc.

Dead right.

Dont forget that the truck does not magically appear at the test centre then dissapear after the test.
It has to be driven there and back and also waiting time and instructors wages also count for the costs of a retest.
The DSA cost for retest is currently £89 and most schools have to charge around £35/£45 per hour for use of vehicle. So al the schools I know charge 4 hours use of truck per retest.
That covers getting the truck from the yard to the test centre, usually around a two hour warm up drive for the trainee, then the waiting time in the test centre, and the hours test, then further waiting time for the debrief and writing out the pass/fail slip, then more time returning the truck to the yard.
Four hours vehicle hire charge plus test fee is about standard.