Best options for class 2 practical retest?

hi

i have recently failed my class 2 test. i have asked my instructor for a retest but he is booked for next three weeks. i want to do it asap. he is charging 300£ for a retest with few hours training session prior to that. is there any driving schools around west Yorkshire where i could go for a retest package with reasonable price?

It’s a good price and not too unreasonable to wait 3 weeks.

It’s not good practice to swap trainers unless you are truly unhappy with them. If you did change you would need at least one day training to familiarise yourself to a different truck then test on the second day and this would cost you conisiderably more than £300.

I’ve been training a lad today who has failed twice with a company in South Yorkshire and has cost him double for what your paying for a retest.

Who did you train with and which test station did you take your test from?

Paul :smiley:

elmet training:
It’s a good price and not too unreasonable to wait 3 weeks.

It’s not good practice to swap trainers unless you are truly unhappy with them. If you did change you would need at least one day training to familiarise yourself to a different truck then test on the second day and this would cost you conisiderably more than £300.

I’ve been training a lad today who has failed twice with a company in South Yorkshire and has cost him double for what your paying for a retest.

Who did you train with and which test station did you take your test from?

thanks for the reply. i did my training with Atkins and test at Patrick Green.

3 weeks will come round quick enough. That’s what I had to wait for mine and sounds a good price that does. Stick with it.

what things did you fail on ?

Patience is the key mate. I was eager (and still am even as a beaver),to get going…but believe me you will need oodles of the stuff when you are driving fully laden artics and car drivers keep pulling into your braking gap!!

It will soon come round mate,dont worry.

I’m in the same boat. Failed for the 2nd time this morning at PSTT and been told it’s a month before I can redo my test (been waiting over a month to do todays retest) with an hour in the truck before. Can get a test in 2 weeks but without any time in the truck before hand it would be a tall order to expect to pass.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that does class 2 manual training within 1 and half hours of Retford?

Trouble with the re-test fees is the cost of the test is £120 to the DVSA, so there isn’t that much left for the training school out of £300 once you de-vat it and take account of wages and fuel. I’m not prepared to comment about Atkins because John Atkins doesn’t take kindly to my honest opinions in my experience but if you are happy with them, and believe you can pass with them - they are your best option. You really aren’t going to get it any cheaper, or quicker as any decent school is normally booking 4-6 weeks ahead due to test availability unless you strike it lucky with a cancellation.

Don’t worry Johnny Drama, even the best schools still get failures, I’m sure Peter will be along soon to give you advice! We used to do a quick warm up before a re-test but found it often didn’t produce the goods. It costs a lot more but having 4/6 hours before the test is a better idea. Customer called Matthew had a retest with us today, started at 8:30 - test at 2pm and he passed, not a cheap way of doing it but no point going there to fail - do it right and pass - hopefully!

Whatever you do, don’t give up.

Not giving up but very unhappy at the time I’ve got to wait to do another test. I don’t need more hours, if I could do a retest this week I’d do it without any time in the truck beforehand. I’m not unhappy with PSTT’s training, I’ve been good enough to pass since before the first test let alone yesterdays (which I failed with just 4 minors despite only 45 mins of driving in over a month) but I cannot afford to wait to do another test so if I could go elsewhere and do it sooner I’m prepared to pay for an hour or two to familiarise on the new test routes.

1-2 hours is perfect for refresher training before a retest. I don’t agree with what Tockwith says about 4-6 hours but they have been in business for over 30 years. IMO you would be mentally drained by the time of test.

This is why I tend to train only one candidate a day, if a retest is needed I can get a morning test and train in the afternoon. This consequently keeps the retest waiting time down to a minimum.

All trainers have there own ways of working which I’m not saying is wrong but I find my way works well for me. May I add that I’m only a small training company so it’s probably a lot easier for me to manage and programme bookings.

what were the 4 minors for?

There is no rule for time before a retest. I have seen every possible scenario. Anything from a 6 week wait and no warm up to a couple of days retraining. What works for one wont always work for another. Given that the vast majority of candidates are ready for test first time but they blow it on a daft slip, I personally don’t put a great deal of weight on more training before a retest. But, where there is an inherent weakness in the drive that has refused to go away during training, this clearly needs sorting before a second attempt.

A candidate who failed last year came back recently, no time beforehand, straight in for test and passed comfortably.

As for test delays, every trainer is in much the same boat. No-one can “magic up” a test if there are none available. We always provide the first available test for candidates who need a further attempt but, TBH, this isn’t as quick at the moment as I would like. But I know that our delay is favourable to other trainers in the area.

We are working hard to increase our capacity in all directions in order to continue providing the service we have always been noted for.

Peter Smythe:
There is no rule for time before a retest. I have seen every possible scenario. Anything from a 6 week wait and no warm up to a couple of days retraining. What works for one wont always work for another. Given that the vast majority of candidates are ready for test first time but they blow it on a daft slip, I personally don’t put a great deal of weight on more training before a retest. But, where there is an inherent weakness in the drive that has refused to go away during training, this clearly needs sorting before a second attempt.

A candidate who failed last year came back recently, no time beforehand, straight in for test and passed comfortably. I think that says more about how driving tests are conducted (and whats wrong about them) and the human element of them (the instructor) than it does for the person taking the test. There’s no way I could jump straight in any vehicle after a month off and not expect to be rusty let alone one I have very little experience in but thats me and like you’ve said everyone’s different.

As for test delays, every trainer is in much the same boat. No-one can “magic up” a test if there are none available. We always provide the first available test for candidates who need a further attempt but, TBH, this isn’t as quick at the moment as I would like. But I know that our delay is favourable to other trainers in the area.

We are working hard to increase our capacity in all directions in order to continue providing the service we have always been noted for. Relax Pete, nobody’s questioning PSST’s training or suggesting you’re in anyway responsible for the long wait for a restest :slight_smile:.[/i]
[/quote]

I’m relaxed! Just making the point that, although the wait may seem long, trainers do their best to get folks back in asap when required.

I do believe the existing testing regime is inherently flawed but it will take monumental changes to improve it. Perfectly possible, just a matter of finding the politicians with the will to change it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

What somebody is questioning Peter Smythe on the Peter Smythe Trucknet Forum. Never!