Contracted to an agency

morning people,
i recently signed on to a driving agency, the work was sporadic and one week resulted in no work at all, so i have signed on with another agency and seem to be doing ok…in the meantime a job was advertised in the jobcentre offering a full time position, of which i have applied for… now this is where it becomes a grey area …because the first agency used the client and i did a bit of work with them. I had a phone call on friday telling me that i have to work out a 13 week contract with them even though i texted them to tell them that i was no longer available…question is can they hold me to a 13 week contract as i don’t think it’s right advice appreciated thanks chaps

Agency to full time usually results in a 13 week ‘temp to perm’ or finders fee. It means you get the job and work directly under the employer but you are paid by the agency for that period

scanny77:
Agency to full time usually results in a 13 week ‘temp to perm’ or finders fee. It means you get the job and work directly under the employer but you are paid by the agency for that period

my query is i didn’t apply for the job through the agency but the jobcentre and i am no longer working for them but they seem to think that i got to hear about the job through them

If the job is advertised directly by the company and not via the agency and they are looking to take someone on direct without use of the agency, then I don’t see how the agency has any part in it?

If the agency was dealing with it, surely applications would be through the agency, but as they are aware you are applying for it, how do they even know that fact?

LIBERTY_GUY:
If the job is advertised directly by the company and not via the agency and they are looking to take someone on direct without use of the agency, then I don’t see how the agency has any part in it?

If the agency was dealing with it, surely applications would be through the agency, but as they are aware you are applying for it, how do they even know that fact?

they are aware that i applied for the job because the transport manager phoned them to tell them that i had applied [why i know not]

keepthefaith:

LIBERTY_GUY:

they are aware that i applied for the job because the transport manager phoned them to tell them that i had applied [why i know not]

If they dumb enough to want to pay an agencies fees for twelve weeks then that is up to them. If you had still been driving for that firm and they had offered you a job whilst still working for them, then that is a different thing altogether as most agencies have a ‘taking on’ fee. However you have applied for a job advertised by the company through the Jobcentre where no agency is mentioned. I’d be inclined to have a chat with the transport manager to see how to move forward with this.

easy way to give you a decent trial, and get rid if no good or keep you on if you are.

its called finders fee, basically I would just do the 13 weeks. what the agency will say is that they introduced you into the company so they now know you and have offered you the job.

without these terms some drivers would do a day then go via the company its protection of the agencies business.