agency

anyone know how long someone has to have not worked for a given firm on agency to then work for them direct
hope that makes sence…thanks

Shhh. Don’t tell 'em. :wink:

All depends on the agency but with most its around 13 weeks - the same as the AWR period.

and drivers slate agencies for being dishonest :open_mouth:

Ridiculous, if its not written in a contract then crack on, plenty of drivers have gone straight from the agency I’m signed up with to the main client company.

its written in every agency contract, they wouldn’t have a business if it wasn’t would they?

no wonder they tend to show a lack of respect to drivers if you act like this, most will allow you to be taken perm after 12 week + all you need to do is ask rather than be underhanded, have had a lot of guys go perm through me and its also a good way of not burning bridges should f/t job not work out (I know as a driver a lot of the time when on agency its great and as soon as f/t attitudes change). still no doubt its the agencys fault for trying to run a business.

war1974:
its written in every agency contract, they wouldn’t have a business if it wasn’t would they?

no wonder they tend to show a lack of respect to drivers if you act like this, most will allow you to be taken perm after 12 week + all you need to do is ask rather than be underhanded, have had a lot of guys go perm through me and its also a good way of not burning bridges should f/t job not work out (I know as a driver a lot of the time when on agency its great and as soon as f/t attitudes change). still no doubt its the agencys fault for trying to run a business.

I wish I had a pound for every time some low life in an agency has wasted people’s time with the none existent jobs they continually advertise.

yes it does happen its a part of the process if you like, I however try to be honest and will say if a contract is quiet or not. having said that most will still want to register or will go to another who wont be honest.

have spent hours filling in form as a driver and consultant and as a driver I will now only go with major players who have major contracts, all these abc, fred smith rec etc. sod that.

Who is it you work for 1974, think I’m local to you? How av u found jan/February?

yeah matt your local (I don’t really want to say online who I work for as I give my own personal opinion on here!). to be honest most of the lads are out working a few are on reduced days but only dropping the odd shift.

I try to run my lads as in they go to a company and are loyal and the company in return are loyal to my lads, so far its working! too many try to keep too many happy and shuffle drivers all over the shop, at present I need a good mix of day and night guys for straight perm positions in the east mids pm me if you want to know more.

Many years ago, small plant hire firm through agency and the boss says to me fancy coming on full time? I hesitated mumbling something about not wanting to upset agency as they want some kind of cut out of it. Other driver stood there incredulous. “Who do you think you are!? A f…ing footballer!? Think you’re worth a transfer fee? Get over yourself!”

lol ^ in all fairness it does pay to keep on the not burning bridges fence as most clients know how agencies work, the ones that encourage you to ‘bend’ the law or say you have another job etc will more often than not drop you like a stone when work goes quiet.

I didn’t think there was any minimum time to have worked for an agency unless you have a contract to that effect.
If you do get a full time job through an agency though, and the agency knows who you’re going on for, they expect a fee for supplying the firm with the sort of driver they were looking for, seems fair to me.

bestbooties:
I didn’t think there was any minimum time to have worked for an agency unless you have a contract to that effect.
If you do get a full time job through an agency though, and the agency knows who you’re going on for, they expect a fee for supplying the firm with the sort of driver they were looking for, seems fair to me.

it varies from contract to contract but yes all will have a set time before a driver can go over or a set fee etc. otherwise as mentioned the business would be worthless. like I say a lot who will say oh come over to me don’t tell agency tend not to be the best people to jump over and work for.

13 weeks is typical however when I wanted to work Reed Boardall (yes, I know but it suited me down to the ground) when a job came up I phoned the agency and had a chat with them and explained the situation and that RB would take me on but didn’t want to pay the fee or do the 13 weeks. They came to an agreement where I’d do another 4 weeks with the agency and then be taken on permanently.

war1974 makes a very good point regarding ‘changing attitudes’ when taken on. I work for a large chilled/ambient food/tobacco outfit and when on the agency,things were fine. 13 weeks later as a perm,things started going south like a cheap facelift. Extra drops sneakily added,extra paperwork to do etc.