Agency Myth?

Just thought I’d ask this on here as I’ve heard it quite a few times and have not been so sure to the truth behind it. Today I’ve been told that if an agency has had you on at the same company for 13 weeks that the company you’re working for through the agency has to either offer you a contract or tell you to ■■■■ off more or less :confused: Not too sure to the truth behind this as when I was at Clipper some of the agency staff had been there for over 2 years without an offer of a full time job :confused: :confused:

So if anyone could clarify this for me as to whether it’s ■■■■■■■■ or whether it’s true it would be a good help, I already know what I think is the right thing but I thought i’d try get something to back that up/

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

AFAIK If the company offer you a full time job, then you have to work through the agency for 13 weeks, then you start for the company

See acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1873

as a starting point.

basically agency workers get more rights after 12 weeks on a contract, unless they are a ltd co.

If there for 12 weeks you get the same pay and days holidays. To get round it the agency will get you to sign a regulation 10 contract so you are working for the agency and not the company.

This rule relates I believe to the Agency Worker Regulations which is another piece of useless legislation from the E.U

One thing for sure which is no myth is that agencies for the most part are thieves and criminals who would have worked out a way around the rules long before they came into force, do yourself and the industry as a whole a favor and get a proper job.

mike68:
This rule relates I believe to the Agency Worker Regulations which is another piece of useless legislation from the E.U

One thing for sure which is no myth is that agencies for the most part are thieves and criminals who would have worked out a way around the rules long before they came into force, do yourself and the industry as a whole a favor and get a proper job.

Do you not think if there was a ‘proper’ job going that I had experience in that I would have one…my current job will do until I find one that suits. After all it pays the bills and gives for the nicer things in life. And that’s all I’m there for.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

mac12:
If there for 12 weeks you get the same pay and days holidays. To get round it the agency will get you to sign a regulation 10 contract so you are working for the agency and not the company.

So you could in theory end up with a wage cut!!

weeto:

mac12:

In theory yes, but as most agency workers earn less than regular staff very unlikely

mac12:

weeto:

mac12:

In theory yes, but as most agency workers earn less than regular staff very unlikely

Really, it used to be like that 25 years ago, more recent agency work was always more.

Fairest bloke I ever worked for on agency driving was a man called Alistair at ADR in Blackburn.
A real nice bloke and honest as the day was long.

What more can you ask?

It used to be but at most places not any more, that’s one of the reasons its cheaper for companies to use agency staff instead of employing there own.