Temp to perm contracts.... question?

Just a quick question, if a company wants to take on a driver that is doing agency work for them, does that company then have to pay the agency a fee…to release them as such?

Or am I just getting confused with the thailand bar scene again.

Most agencies have some sort of clause that guarantees them a fee if the company poaches drivers from them. However, and it’s a big however, it all depends on how much the agency values the clients custom I’d say. An example being that where I work they recently recruited full timers from the agency pool and the agency made noises about £xxxx per driver as compensation and my company told them that they’d gladly pay the fee but they’d get a different agency in to fulfil their needs in future.

It’s a cutthroat business.

the maoster:
Most agencies have some sort of clause that guarantees them a fee

Ta’

was using agencies to see what the companies are like in the area as new to me, and returning from some time away from driving anyway, and did wonder this, like you say the companies can just push back though, good to know thanks !

I’m on am agency .
Just started long term 6 month.work.for agency working. At Manchester airport.
Said company working for is taking on full time permanent staff.
So I asked was told can’t take you on.otherwise we have to pay my agency a fee .presumably for.poaching staff.
Was told can’t do anything for 12 weeks.
I said I’ll just leave agency and apply was told no
Also said be cheaper as there drivers are paid same rate as me and company are obviously paying agency there fee on top.
So just got hope after 12 weeks there’s a permemamt job going .
All load of rubbish if ask me .
If had a full time.jpb wouldt have give 12 weeks notice.

If an Agency supplies a lot of Drivers on a regular long term basis or for even the odd days they would be stupid to demand a fee for “poaching” especially in a competitive market.

I rarely feel sorry for agencies, but if they have the expense of advertising, interviewing and checking on candidates, and take risk of covering “no shows” etc; compared to a company that takes on a proven after several weeks trial a driver who was on agency, they might be peeved.
The agency does the work and takes more risk, then loses income if they find a good driver that is a good fit!

Taking some sort of fee from the employing company seems fair to me, but not an excessive fee. It`s all a matter of balance.

If the company finds a good agency driver they want, stop moaning and pay a reasonable finders fee.

I’ve been asked to go full time a few times at places I’ve been , seems my agency’s answer to that is not send me there for a few months , not bothered as none are offering 3 days , normally 5/6 days , though one did offer 4 days , fri-mon , give me strength

I thought this had been the case in most instances for a good while now?

As Franglais says its essentially to ensure an agency gets a fair chunk of meat out of you for a minimum period so they can recoup costs/make some money from you or the client can pay those costs in the form of a fee before 12 weeks.

On a broader scale, isn’t everything sort of temp to perm anyway? In a sense a probation period for a full time job is essentially temp to permanent is it not?

dunno the legalities of it butiwould of thought if the company has asked for a client on a temp to perm role then the agency are aware there is a possability that the client will employ thier driver,

Every agency i have worked for on a temp to perm basis i have had to work through the agency for 12- 13 weeks before i havebeen offered a perm job. That is also stipulated in my contract with the current agency that if iwish to go and work for the client i have to of been there 13 weeks otherwise a fee will be levied.

First driving job i had i signed up with one agency then didnt hear anything so accepted an assignment from a second one. Night before i was due to attand company training i got a text from the first agency sending me to the same place. That one caused both agency to argue for a week on who’s driver i was. In the end i had to stay with the first one and i belive the second one charged them £1000 “poaching fee”

Be interesting to know which agencies that do charge, how much.they charge … as one saying £500 compared to £1500 could mean the difference between full time offer or maybe not…

I was asked in October if I wanted to go full time, but I declined, but I did ask my mob what the score was, and I was told don’t charge anything, they’ve had their monies worth out of me already. Their philosophy is why bite the clients hand off when they have such a large contract with them

Yep, “Take On Fee” to be paid by the hiring company.
In my industry it’s quite big, around one months salary…
Cheers
Paul

the maoster:
Most agencies have some sort of clause that guarantees them a fee if the company poaches drivers from them. However, and it’s a big however, it all depends on how much the agency values the clients custom I’d say. An example being that where I work they recently recruited full timers from the agency pool and the agency made noises about £xxxx per driver as compensation and my company told them that they’d gladly pay the fee but they’d get a different agency in to fulfil their needs in future.

It’s a cutthroat business.

I was temp to perm at Brakes in 2015. The way I was told it would work - was that I got sent into the client for the next 12 weeks solid, and didn’t work at the other agency’s clients during that period.

The agency “Fee” taken was their usual commission on all those hours I put in there over the 12 week period, and I finally went full time with the uniform etc. on week 13, only to find that I was on a 5 day week contract (fixed shifts) rather than the four day week the other full timers already had. Couldn’t have it all my own way alas, but at least I wasn’t saddled with this “any five from seven” ■■■■■■■■, although I got defrauded out of several overtime payments whilst I was there. I won’t be going back, needless to say.