Complete newbie Need Help

Hi Everyone,

I work for agencies within the promotions and events industry and have mainly driven cars, minibuses ,or 3.5 tonne vans. After one event I was asked if I could drive 7.5 Tonne I said yes as my driving licence is pre 1997 so include the correct classes. I have driven 7.5 tonne horseboxes for my relative and also vehicles as a volunteer so have never been required to use a Tachograph. I know the principles behind them and have read various posts on here for both types of tachograph. I have applied for my Digicard as I am not sure what type of Tachograph will be fitted.

Most of the work will be to collect a vehicle (I assume this will be a hire vehicle) and take equipment to a site i.e. festivals, arenas etc and assist with set up / derig. Stay on site in accomodation or drive to new site. Some drives include Ferry Crossing to Ireland/Scottish islands no continental work all UK based.

I have looked at the many excellent posts and also the simulations on this site so have given myself a good understanding of how Tachographs work and the regulations etc but would appreciate help with a few of my questions below.

1. When I am using a Ferry what settings do I use i.e Rest, available, working
  2. When do I use available, Working mode.
  3. On my logs do I need to record hours when using my own vehicle to get to area to collect vehicle
  4. If i do any other driving for other agencies using vans etc do these hours need to be logged.
  5. As most vehicles will I assume be hires who downloads my driver vehicle data and provide discs, printer rolls as I will not probably see the agency only the event manager. Am I responsible for these. I am classed as employed by that agency.

Sorry for all questions but as I am new all help appreciated.

Thank You for a great site very informative.

Hi

not going to be able to answer all your questions, plus dont take my reply as gospel.

Get an A5 Yearly diary to log every different vehicle you drive and for how long you are driving and other work.

Welcome to Trucknet-Uk northenman :wink:

northernman:
Hi Everyone,
Hi northernman

I work for agencies within the promotions and events industry and have mainly driven cars, minibuses ,or 3.5 tonne vans. After one event I was asked if I could drive 7.5 Tonne I said yes as my driving licence is pre 1997 so include the correct classes. I have driven 7.5 tonne horseboxes for my relative and also vehicles as a volunteer so have never been required to use a Tachograph. I know the principles behind them and have read various posts on here for both types of tachograph. I have applied for my Digicard as I am not sure what type of Tachograph will be fitted.

Most of the work will be to collect a vehicle (I assume this will be a hire vehicle) and take equipment to a site i.e. festivals, arenas etc and assist with set up / derig. Stay on site in accomodation or drive to new site. Some drives include Ferry Crossing to Ireland/Scottish islands no continental work all UK based.

I have looked at the many excellent posts and also the simulations on this site so have given myself a good understanding of how Tachographs work and the regulations etc but would appreciate help with a few of my questions below.

1. When I am using a Ferry what settings do I use i.e Rest, available, working
    You can use either Rest or Other work, as you’re unlikely to be doing any work on the ferry Rest would be best.

2. When do I use available, Working mode.
    Available :confused:
    I assume you mean POA in which case don’t bother, use rest instead when you’re not working.
    When you’re working but not driving the tachograph should be on other work (cross hammers)

3. On my logs do I need to record hours when using my own vehicle to get to area to collect vehicle
    Depends, if you’re collecting the vehicle from work then the answer is no, if you’re collecting the vehicle from anywhere other than where you are based then yes … well technically you should anyway but …

4. If i do any other driving for other agencies using vans etc do these hours need to be logged.
    Yes, in any week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday) when you drive in-scope of EU regulations any other work must be recorded.
    On the other hand if in any week you don’t drive in-scope of EU regulations then you don’t need to keep records unless you’re driving to domestic rules.

5. As most vehicles will I assume be hires who downloads my driver vehicle data and provide discs, printer rolls as I will not probably see the agency only the event manager. Am I responsible for these. I am classed as employed by that agency.
    The company you’re driving for are responsible for all that, they have a legal obligation to download the data from your driver card within 28 days or you should hand in any charts after 28 days but no later than 42 days.
    The company you’re driving for should supply you with printing paper and/or charts

Sorry for all questions but as I am new all help appreciated.
That’s al-right :wink:

Thank You for a great site very informative.
I agree, I’ve learned a lot at this place. :smiley: