Do I Need A Tachograph

I have just been doing a few driving jobs for a catering firm that caters for outdoor television broadcasting. The transport manager told me that I do not need to use a tachograph when driving as the trailer is used for catering. I drive a 32 tonne Volvo FL10 with a 40 foot mobile kitchen attached. Is he correct or should I use a tachograph. :question: :question: :confused:

Hi tt and welcome to Truck Net.

Until you know otherwise, I would use a tachograph disc when you are driving the vehicle.
Your ‘load’ seems to fall in-to a grey area between a showman’s vehicle and not being used for hire and reward.
I have not seen an exemption for a mobile cafe!!

I suggest you speak to Coffeholic, or other members who are owner drivers on this site,I am sure they will put you right.

Cheers,

Niall.

If you are being paid to drive a commercial vehicle then you should be using a tachograph.
I used to drive a race car transporter and although it had “not for hire or reward” on it I still used tachographs as did all the other teams truckie’s.

It’s good advice! Tachos work both ways.

When someone reports you for speeding past a school or on a country road, you can prove otherwise :bulb:

If you drive in Europe you will need a card in, so why not here

we all say yes on here,this will be your bosses idea of getting you to work long hours as your not under tacho laws.as your in the catering trade and they have functions that will go on til the early hours of the morning etc.cover your ■■■ mate.if your not happy call your local cop traffic department and ask there advise.and make sure you get pc plod’s name so if your boss try’s arguing with you,just give him said name and phone number of pc plod.should wipe the smile of his face. :wink:

Thanx 4 help every 1 :smiley: I have just rang area traffic office and they say yes so I be having words. Thanks 2 all again :wink: