Company feedback

Hi everyone i will be starting out as an owner/driver later this year and would like some feedback from other drivers who have had some dealings with the companies that I may end up sub contracting too. All these companies promise lots of work and good rates with payment on time, it all sounds to good to be true so your views would be appreciated. The companies are Sealane, Davies Turner (Morocco round trips) Norfolk line and P&O fridge work. Also if there are any companies you could recomend, that would be great.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome BigE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Brave move in this current climate…

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics & avatars, How to use quotes, Driver CPC, and much more…

BigE:
All these companies promise lots of work and good rates

In who’s opinion? Yours or theirs? :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome anyway.

Wheel Nut:

BigE:

Welcome anyway.

There opinion albeit only via an email which they proberly send to everyone " regular work, good rates, prompt payment"

BigE:

Wheel Nut:

BigE:
There opinion albeit only via an email which they proberly send to everyone " regular work, good rates, prompt payment"

Is this the O/D equivalent of the myth given to potential newbies - there is a current shortage of 80.000 drivers’ - :question:

ROG:
Is this the O/D equivalent of the myth given to potential newbies - there is a current shortage of 80.000 drivers’ - :question:

Yep, that’s the one. The companies that genuinely offer good work at good rates don’t need to advertise to get subbys.

Paul

the only truthfull part of those advertisements is usually the ‘prompt payment’ part.
you’ll have to prompt to get any payment, :wink:

A lot of Davies Turner work is done by Ekol which is a turkish firm and i’d be surprised if you can compete with them and that they would even use english drivers to do Europe anyway (check with someone in the know if the Morocco rate is any good!). Norfolk line is about a £1 per mile and perhaps a Mars bar on the side for traction (which is less than taxi money) if you’re a new face and if you can get on which you may not even be able to, don’t know about one way load rates. P&O are probly the best of a fairly poor bunch, haven’t heard much on them. You do see some decent motors pullling for Sealane but I bet they pay on 60 days and I wouldn’t say the rates are brilliant. Basically unless you’re on the wire don’t count your chickens.

Having said all that I would love to be wrong, good luck anyway fella!

BigE:
Hi everyone i will be starting out as an owner/driver later this year and would like some feedback from other drivers who have had some dealings with the companies that I may end up sub contracting too. All these companies promise lots of work and good rates with payment on time, it all sounds to good to be true so your views would be appreciated. The companies are Sealane, Davies Turner (Morocco round trips) Norfolk line and P&O fridge work. Also if there are any companies you could recomend, that would be great.

where abouts are you based?
do you need early payments?
are you looking for uk or international work?
44t gross or not?
are you looking for traction only?

if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

the only way to get work that pays well, is to get your own. and it’s easier than you may think.
when you are tipping/loading at your bosses customers, let them know your intentions, but also make it clear you are not interested in taking your bosses work. you see they may let it out that they struggle to get loads to or from certain places, sell yourself on reliability, not price. i know this isn’t exactly what you was asking, but i thought it may help.

Sealane in the new T&D say they offer Own curtainside trailer, Excellent rates, Prompt payment, Fuel bunkering on the continet, All miles paid no hazardous
Contact Alistair Caldwell on 01582 463808 or acaldwell@sealane.co.uk

Joshh:
Sealane in the new T&D say they offer Own curtainside trailer, Excellent rates, Prompt payment, Fuel bunkering on the continet, All miles paid no hazardous

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Joshh:

They have called me a number of times when struggling to cover work, and every time I have told them I can help them with a truck but whats the current rate?
Each time the rate has been £1.05p per mile, at which I tell them to ring back when the figure is realistic.

Joshh:

That advert has been in Trucking mag every month for the last 5/6 years,
what does that tell you :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:
BTW in all this time they still run just 20 trucks :exclamation: :confused:

tc trans:

Joshh:

They have called me a number of times when struggling to cover work, and every time I have told them I can help them with a truck but whats the current rate?
Each time the rate has been £1.05p per mile, at which I tell them to ring back when the figure is realistic.

What would you call a realistic rate? I think you would need to do in excess of 2500 miles every week to earn a living, and not having to pay trailer hire is a help but i suppose this is reflected in the price. Last year Solstor were offering traction at £1.01 for Germany + France and £0.96 for benalux + £50 per drop and £250 per week for trailer hire, I dont no if the rate has now changed though.

Big Truck:

Joshh:

My bad i’ve never seen it and thought it might of helped him or something.
Ahhhh well.

Joshh:

Big Truck:

Joshh:

My bad i’ve never seen it and thought it might of helped him or something.
Ahhhh well.

Cheers Josh Sealane dont pay the best rate but then again there’s is by no means the worst.
By the way Liverpool aint the best team, Portsmouth is.

BigE:

tc trans:

Joshh:

What would you call a realistic rate? I think you would need to do in excess of 2500 miles every week to earn a living, and not having to pay trailer hire is a help but i suppose this is reflected in the price. Last year Solstor were offering traction at £1.01 for Germany + France and £0.96 for benalux + £50 per drop and £250 per week for trailer hire, I dont no if the rate has now changed though.

BigE, having done the figures, do you see £0.96-£1.01 a mile as viable longterm continental work? It sounds really low to me, even at big miles a week which you would obviously need. I know Currie European pay similar rates for all miles, empty or loaded.

I know a guy who worked Irish Sea for P&O last year and he eventually told them to shove it when they told him they werre cutting his rate. He was about to ask them for a rate rise when they dropped that bombshell! Another friend works for Mammoet, pulling their tilts across the UK to get them tipped and then back to the ports for going back o Europe when re-loaded…he is happy with their rates and the work…may be worth giving them a shout. Not everyone likes tilts though, fairly manual work at times, especially if it needs stripped in the pi**ing rain!

Sounds obvious but remember that when doing huge miles your truck will need tyres more often, more frequent servicing and will wear out components quicker…it will need to be in good nick, as new as you can afford and probably on an R&M plan or you will rack up the bills big time with any breakdown.

Have you done the arithmetic correctly on this business model and added a chunk in for unforseen crap? Not slagging it off at all but just want to encourage you to work overtime with yer calculator before committing mate. Good luck.

Like TCTrans says…1-05 ppm is crap mate…do the sums.

Diesel at about .86ppl (£3-92 per gallon)…getting 8 mpg = fuel running costs at 0-492 ppm
(Thats nearly half gone already)

Say you get 2500 miles every week (doubtful) …thats turnover of £2625-00 but your diesel costs will be about 1225-00…then theres Truck costs , tax , insurances , maintenance , trailer hire ■■ etc etc etc

In an ideal world I reckon that your diesel costs should be about 33% of your rate but I bet most are running at 40%…once you get into nearly 50% it aint worth doing.

Hope I got me sums right or Im gunna get hammered here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Have you done the arithmetic correctly on this business model and added a chunk in for unforseen crap? Not slagging it off at all but just want to encourage you to work overtime with yer calculator before committing mate. Good luck.
[/quote]
Yes I have also done the figures and you are right it’s way to low thats why im still looking around before I buy a unit, Im in no rush and wont buy one until I can get a decent rate {guess i could be in for a long wait} there must companies out there who will pay a fair rate it’s just a matter of finding them. :wink: