sub contracting

in the process of starting up for myself just wondering if anyone out there is subbying for solster, davies turner or sealane. if you can let me wot ther like to work for it all sounds very good from them,if any of you fellas have worked for them can you let me know. thanks

come back in 2 month and tell us how much money you have lost :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

tull2468:
in the process of starting up for myself just wondering if anyone out there is subbying for solster, davies turner or sealane. if you can let me wot ther like to work for it all sounds very good from them,if any of you fellas have worked for them can you let me know. thanks

I have been approached by Sealane.If you would like to PM me

Having been cautioned twice by Admin recently for my rather blunt posting style, I will try to show some restraint and restrict myself to saying that I would not personally recommend subcontracting to Sealane. :wink:

Er That’s a nice and gentlemanly way of putting it Harry, I take it you have been there and done it lol

I have worked for somebody who subcontracted to Sealane, albeit briefly.

Let’s just say that given a choice of dealing with Traffic Office staff who have started out as drivers, risen through the ranks, understand the job and talk to you with respect, and dealing with supercilious, toffee-nosed twenty-something University-educated twerps who would not know one end of a truck from the other, I would always prefer the former.

The only one that might be worth working for of the ones that you mentioned is Davies Turner & that’s international which I presume is what you’re after as they wouldn’t use subbies for UK only.

is that speaking from experience, or is that a way of telling me not to bother :smiley:

Daf Man 480:
come back in 2 month and tell us how much money you have lost :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

cheers silver surfer yes mate it would be international work

Silver_Surfer:
The only one that might be worth working for of the ones that you mentioned is Davies Turner & that’s international which I presume is what you’re after as they wouldn’t use subbies for UK only.

cheers harry i have seen latvian trucks pulling sealane trailers that in itself must be bad cos u know they will be doing the job for FA

Harry Monk:
Having been cautioned twice by Admin recently for my rather blunt posting style, I will try to show some restraint and restrict myself to saying that I would not personally recommend subcontracting to Sealane. :wink:

tull2468:
cheers harry i have seen latvian trucks pulling sealane trailers that in itself must be bad cos u know they will be doing the job for FA

Harry Monk:

They’ve got a Bulgarian registered RHD ex-Post Office Daf 85 pulling for them at the moment, the paintwork has gone pink but it still has the yellow stripe round it. It looks awful.

Sealane have a strange pay structure. They pay subbies by the day, not on mileage, although there is a minimum mileage you have to cover before they pay a “retainer”, which is the only thing which allows a subbie to break even.

So you do loads of hanging around all week, multiple drops and collections in Benelux and then they want you to go to Scotland on a Friday afternoon to make your mileage up enough to get the retainer.

Mostly though, my problem with them was with the traffic office staff at Harpenden, the people on the ground at Husk’s yard are generally fine.