Class C Training N/Staffs or S/Cheshire

Good afternoon from a total newbie.

I got made redundant a few weeks ago, from a completely different career, and I’ve decided that instead of applying for jobs that I don’t really want to do, I’d rather get my redundancy money working for me, and make my dream of being an HGV driver come true.

I was just wondering if there was anyone local to me, that could recommend any training companies that they’d used?

I do have one that I have in mind, I won’t name them in case that’s not allowed on here.

If it isn’t allowed, please feel free to PM me, with the name of the company and why you feel they are so good.

I’m no stranger to driving, just not things quite so big as these, so I’m aware of the pitfalls. I’m looking to get going ASAP.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Take a look through this list…

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

They are all recommended by people on here who have had good experiences.

Best of luck.

Dean

All the best with your search. Stock advice is to always visit the trainer before parting with your hard earned. Have a good look around, sit in the trucks, talk to the instructors.

A Google search will reveal the names of DSA reg instructors and also the few DSA Accredited LGV centres in the UK.

The only exception to the above would be to book on rock solid recommendation.

O yes, and welcome.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey mate.

No Idea bout Nantwich way or Crewe.

But I dont live too far from you in Talke and I went to Bassetts in Tittensor near Stone, can only recommend them bud. Passed both parts first time, very professional, good Price and a good laugh :smiley:

If you have any questions pm me.

Gareth

Just for gawds sake pleeeeeese dont use a broker if you cant visit the site and see the lorries and meet the trainers just put the phone down and dont look back , any decent training company will welcome you to come and visit , you can get a feel for rapor with the guys that will be training you and some will give you an assesment free or take the assesment off your training bill should you book with them , go and see a few and then make your mind up but dont part with your hard earned cash easily your employing them to train you and they need to impress you not the other way round , all the best with your training and we all like a diary on here when people are training and will give you all the help and support we can we`ve all been there best of luck

jen x

Thanks, the company I’m thinking of using is Bassett’s, a largish haulage company, that have been doing training for 30 years plus.

They’re not the cheapest, but they’ve certainly been the most helpful, sent me a really good info pack out today.

They’ve even got me a medical sorted for Monday morning.

Recently Gareth passed with them.

His thread is here…

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81459&p=1104736&hilit=bassetts#p1104736

Might be worth sending him a PM.

PaulNowak:
Thanks, the company I’m thinking of using is Bassett’s, a largish haulage company, that have been doing training for 30 years plus.

They’re not the cheapest, but they’ve certainly been the most helpful, sent me a really good info pack out today.

They’ve even got me a medical sorted for Monday morning.

Sounds about right :smiley:

When you come to the practical part they offer you assessment, this costs £60 but you get it reimbursed when you train with them, also the Test is now taken from their own yard so when you do the reverse you are used to the site :smiley:

Also staff there are great make you feel welcome and help you every step of the way.

dar1976:
Recently Gareth passed with them.

His thread is here…

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81459&p=1104736&hilit=bassetts#p1104736

Might be worth sending him a PM.

And still got that big fat grin on my face :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Bassetts get the thumbs up from me!!

Well it looks like I sailed my medical this morning.

Forms are in the post, just looking forward to getting started!

Assessment drive with Bassett’s on Friday, been signed up by an agency, start with Tesco Direct in Crewe at 6 on the 7.5 tonners.

Interview for a permanent 7.5t job on Friday morning.

Things are on the up.

Excellent mate.

Best of luck with your interview and also for your assessment at Bassetts :slight_smile:

PaulNowak:
Assessment drive with Bassett’s on Friday, been signed up by an agency, start with Tesco Direct in Crewe at 6 on the 7.5 tonners.

Interview for a permanent 7.5t job on Friday morning.

Things are on the up.

Good luck with getting the job.

Also good luck with the assessment, let us know how you got on and who assessed you.

Did the one day for Tesco yesterday, 13 hours of ■■■■■■■ furniture.

Had an interview booked for Friday through another agency, (13 weeks agency work, leading to a permanent job) booked for Friday, as well as my Class C assessment.

Got a call from a place I went to last week, didn’t think I stood much chance, 40 applicants for 2 jobs, some of whom had HGV licences, asking me for a second interview. Said I’d go see him Friday, time permitting.

Anyway, Tesco didn’t need anyone today, just tomorrow and Saturday. Got too much on tomorrow, and don’t want to get back into weekend work if I can avoid it.

So as I was free today, I rang the chap at Alliance to see if today would suit him better, which it did.

Popped in, eyesight test, quick written test, identified a few road signs, then did a hazard perception test (first time ever,) waited to see what was next, bloke just grabbed hold of my hand and said, “Welcome to Alliance”

I am now officially a full-time 7.5t driver.

They’ve also got a couple of rigids on the bank, so I’ll carry on with my training, as they’re bound to be short at some point.

Properly well chuffed.

PaulNowak:
Did the one day for Tesco yesterday, 13 hours of ■■■■■■■ furniture.

Had an interview booked for Friday through another agency, (13 weeks agency work, leading to a permanent job) booked for Friday, as well as my Class C assessment.

Got a call from a place I went to last week, didn’t think I stood much chance, 40 applicants for 2 jobs, some of whom had HGV licences, asking me for a second interview. Said I’d go see him Friday, time permitting.

Anyway, Tesco didn’t need anyone today, just tomorrow and Saturday. Got too much on tomorrow, and don’t want to get back into weekend work if I can avoid it.

So as I was free today, I rang the chap at Alliance to see if today would suit him better, which it did.

Popped in, eyesight test, quick written test, identified a few road signs, then did a hazard perception test (first time ever,) waited to see what was next, bloke just grabbed hold of my hand and said, “Welcome to Alliance”

I am now officially a full-time 7.5t driver.

They’ve also got a couple of rigids on the bank, so I’ll carry on with my training, as they’re bound to be short at some point.

Properly well chuffed.

Well done mate :smiley:

Any category C+E Jobs going down your area? hehe :laughing: :laughing:

Nice one mate. You will ok on there because if u get yr class1 they will use you as there is no two years experiance rule on there. I know this as ive worked on there mate.

Quick update,

Loving the new job, even the stint I did on the vans, saw quite a bit of the country at quite high velocity.

But I mentioned the fact that I’d rather be on a 7.5, as it’d only help for doing my Class C, and I prefer driving them anyway.

So I’m back on them again.

Did my theory last Saturday, 72% on hazard perception (can’t quite get my head around that) and 99% on my theory (I put the right answer first time, then got the urge to change it)

Week off work booked, training and test sorted, w/c 11th June, test at 8.30 on the Friday morning.

I’d be most grateful if you could seal off the test route for me, and sit with all your fingers, thumbs and toes crossed for me.

I’ll keep you posted!

Passed it first time! Much to my surprise. 3 minor faults.

Thanks to everyone in here for their help. And a massive thank you to Pete, my instructor, Kath for all her help, and Brian for moral support and an endless supply of coffee.

I’m over the bloody moon. :slight_smile:

Well Done. And 3 minors a very good score :slight_smile: