Hello and help

I have been reading these post and have found them to be a great help. I intend to do LGV training soon and have just returned from the opticians who inform me that my eyesight will meet the requirements as I was concerned about this. I am an old git you see (50) my ex employer has moved my job to China and was made redundant, I have been for quite a few interviews but all to no avail and as I have always loved driving I may as well get paid for it. I suppose in my case the sequence of events will be :class c, class c+e, class Zimmer frame but what the heck. Enough about me, can any of you lovely people reccommend a half decent training school in the Bham or surrounding area thats not called ■■■■ Turpin hopefully. I have shelled out for the DSA books and to be honest find most of the material to be common sense but who am I to brag. Lovely to be able to post to you all:
Cheers for now.

Welcome to TN. I’m not from your neck of the woods so can’t help with the training school.

I used George Lovatt training, there were and as far as I know still are based in Stechford. I passed both tests first time, as did some other people I know although they use a drawbar for the C+E which is not to everybody’s liking.

Try looking at these

www.qualitastraining.co.uk

I trained with these at Chelmsford but they also have a branch in the west midlands. I found them very good, having done both my C and C+E with them

welcome to t.net ant

I trained at Eastern LGV in Yardley and found them to be great. Class two on first attempt class one on second (and same for one of my mates as well). George Lovatt is meant to be pretty good although I thought he was out in Coleshill (but may be wrong).

Make sure that you are on an artic if you do class one though !! I think both can offer that !!!

Regards

G

Gazzareth:
George Lovatt is meant to be pretty good although I thought he was out in Coleshill (but may be wrong).

The coleshill number is listed because that’s his home (doubles as his office), when I did my training he shared the yard with Eastern so I presume one of them has sinced moved. I must admit I didn’t realise he could offer an artic for the C+E.

Hi Ant, and Welcome to Trucknet

A Hingley Transport (Brierley Hill) Ltd.
4 Talbot Lane, Brierley Hill, West Midlands,
DY5 2YX
Tel: 01384-262221

Maybe be worth a try, have seen training vehicles for both rigid and artic.

Good Luck

Kate

Welcome to TNUK Ant,hope you get sorted.Good luck.

Ant:
my ex employer has moved my job to China and was made redundant, .

west midlands

You didnt build a certain brand of car (which RobK is a huge fan of) by any chance did you? :laughing:

Firstly Ant welcome to Trucknet uk! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

It would help if you could tell us what area of the west mids you are looking at, I am a big fan of GATT on the Dodwells Trading Est, Hinkley. There are many people retraining after a previous career, you may find that when you are buying your examiner tea because you clipped the curb on your drive, the other pupils with their instructors in the cafe are doing the same thing will be a similar age to yourself.

Good Luck! :wink:
Let us know how you get on. :sunglasses:

mrpj:
The coleshill number is listed because that’s his home (doubles as his office), when I did my training he shared the yard with Eastern so I presume one of them has sinced moved. I must admit I didn’t realise he could offer an artic for the C+E.

I am sure I have seen a 40 footer with his name on it, although could be wrong.

G

Hi Ant, welcome to Trucknet.

Topgear- Mucklow Hill, Halesowen -Nick Horton or Mark in the office.

0121 585 0834.

Tell them a mate of Keith Hodson sent you.

Five day course -4 half days driving one to one and test on day five, but Nick will confirm.

Thank you so much chaps and chapesses. I have sent off for all the bumpff from some training companies and find that the going rate for class C seem to be around £850 or so, although there were some that were considerably more. Have been looking at these companies websites, well the ones that have websites anyway and there was one that had a titchy little wagon on the pics so I feel that it would be best to go for somewhare with a full size one, What do you think? Have to arrange a medical and everthing first though that is my task for next week.
Funny thing happened to be on Fri, I walked up to our local post office to tax car and on the way back there was a wagon delivering Calsberg to the rear of a restuarant, well this entrance is shared with the public car park and there were several cars stopped behind the wagon as he was dragging steel barrels around, they obviously had been there for a while as they had their engines switched off. Well the funny bit is I was just waiting for one of them to have a go at the wagon driver and I would have immiediatly given them a talking to on the lines of , Don’t you realise that this guy is only doing his job and do you realise how hard it is to drive and park one of these things. I am beginning to talk like a driver already lol.
I will keep yo all posted as to my progress or Lack of.
Thanks a million all of you.

Ant:
so I feel that it would be best to go for somewhare with a full size one, What do you think?

The advantage of using a ‘proper’ sized truck is that it prepares you for the real world of driving whereas a minimum test spec vehicle doesn’t. The advantage of using the smallest possible truck and the wagon and drag for the C+E is that is makes the test easier and therefore a pass more likely (well that’s the theory), this being the main aim of your training.

Remember that some of the training schools will include the cost of the medical AND theory test in the price of their training so best to choose your training school before you do anything else (I can only comment in the case of Eastern, but I suspect that a lot of them will do that).

In terms of vehicle - some companies do run short flatbeds which just about meet the minimum specification, they will make learning easier - BUT as mrpj says will not prepare you for the “real world” (they also make the trainer’s job easier and use less fuel !!). To me you sound like you have the right idea - go for a “standard sized” truck with a box on it - after all if you have problems you will have a trainer sitting next to you who can advise you - you are all by yourself when you are working and expected to be able to cope without assistance !!!

Price of about £850 sounds right if it includes the medical & theory…

… as for members of the driving public - an awful lot of them are very stupid when it comes to trucks.

G

Hi and welcome to TruckNet UK Ant
and good luck with the training ect :smiley:

Thanks for your advice, I had the info come through today for Eastern as well as Qualitas and Westgate, I am leaning towards Eastern at the mo because it is local to me only about 15 mins away but will keep you updated. I am learning new things all the time on this forum and have spent many hours reading all your posts. Until recently I would have thought that a wagon and drag would have been a truck driver with lipstick and sequined dress :smiley:

Ant:
Until recently I would have thought that a wagon and drag would have been a truck driver with lipstick and sequined dress :smiley:

There are a few of that type of truck driver about too :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: .

:slight_smile: Hello Ant,
Welcome to TruckNet and Good Luck for your training and tests.

This firm, Cotswold Medicals, has been given good recommendations in the past from various people, both on here and in magazines. I see from their website that they have a branch near you, in St Pauls Square, Birmingham. :wink:
The thing with these medicals is you can get as many quotes as you want, and they may vary, from £90 down to a £20 note, which the doctor then slips into his wallet as you leave the surgery - a nice little earner for 10 minutes chat and a couple of pages of form filling ! :laughing:

Go to the “Useful Links” forum below to start with :
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12268

• You’ll need to be logged in to get there, if you aren’t already as you read this. :sunglasses: