Chip & pin card fraud

Not sure if this is the right forum but…

software.silicon.com/security/0, … 743,00.htm

I just had a phone call from my bank telling me that my card has been “compromised” & that it has now been cancelled.

Luckily nothing has gone missing but she did confirm, when pushed, that it was a shell petrol station that did the deed :open_mouth:

If any of you have used your chip & pin card at a shell garage within the last few months make sure you check your bank statements carefully.

Our local shell garage withdrew its Chip and Pin service sometime in May. Apparently they (Shell) were having problems with the chip and pin System. We’re now just signing the slip, as we used to . I wonder if it’s relevant…
Thanks for the info.

shell order chip and pin to be withdrawn from its stations around may because quiet a few people had funds remove from there accounts as employies had hacked the chip and pin system there were several arrests

Chip & pin was supposed to be “safer” for the consumer, but all it does is protects the banks and makes the consumer even more vulnerable. If you have any problems with chip n pin the bank aren’t interested anymore because according to them it’s fool proof. Once again, the consumer gets the raw end of the deal. :unamused:

Since it was introduced I’ve had an incident where £95 disappeared from my account to an electrical store that I’d never been to. The bank’s argument is that as only I have access to the card and pin then it must have been me. This simply enraged me and I wouldn’t let it drop. It eventually got to the point of me providing them with evidence that I was at work in Cambridgeshire at the time the transaction took place and fortunately I had used my card only 30 minutes before the fraudulent one in Bradford so pointed out how the hell could I be in Bradford in 30 mins from Cambridge. More arguing ensued as the bank said that wasn’t good enough proof. Eventually they did refund it, but only as “goodwill gesture” :unamused: . Makes me sick.

Now I withdraw my wage from the post office once per month (using chip n pin of course :unamused: ) and pay for EVERYTHING in cash that would otherwise require me to input my pin no. You might think that that is an extreme measure, but when it happens to you and you get the same “well it can only have been you, sir” grief from your bank that I had, you’ll see what I mean.

Rob K:
Now I withdraw my wage from the post office once per month (using chip n pin of course :unamused: ) and pay for EVERYTHING in cash that would otherwise require me to input my pin no. You might think that that is an extreme measure, but when it happens to you and you get the same “well it can only have been you, sir” grief from your bank that I had, you’ll see what I mean.

Good idea Rob, (can’t believe I just said that).

However, I always pay for the fuel in my car by card. If the question of poor fuel consumption from the (underpowered) truck is ever raised, I have covered myself, and can produce payment records as far back as the year dot. See what I mean.?

Having said that, I’ve just swapped my diesel car for a petrol, so its all irrelevant now anyway.

I’ll shut up now shall I?

Rob K:
Chip & pin was supposed to be “safer” for the consumer

It has reduced the overall amount lost to credit card fraud in cardholder-present transactions. In this case, a number of Shell garages had had their PIN terminals replaced with ones which were compromised so that they recorded the magnetic stripe information, and also the PIN as it was typed in. Since all UK cash machines and virtually all retailers in the UK now use chip + PIN, this was useless to the fraudsters, since they couldn’t replicate the chip, so they programmed the magnetic stripe information onto blank cards and used them in cash machines abroad (which aren’t chip + PIN compatible). The problem is getting everyone outside the UK to update to chip + PIN machinery.

Source: Computing magazine

Kate:

Rob K:

Good idea Rob, (can’t believe I just said that).

However, I always pay for the fuel in my car by card. If the question of poor fuel consumption from the (underpowered) truck is ever raised, I have covered myself, and can produce payment records as far back as the year dot. See what I mean.?

Having said that, I’ve just swapped my diesel car for a petrol, so its all irrelevant now anyway.

I’ll shut up now shall I?

But what’s to stop you paying by cash and getting a receipt? :bulb:

Last Friday week, I arrived at a Peage at a place called Caldas Da Rainha near Lisbon. The charge was €11.85 and I tried to pay by Mastercard. The attendant sent me over to the Office where I discovered th4e guy spoke excellenet English. He was keen to talk and told me that although the Peages in Portugal are privately owned and they are run by different companies, his particualr company refused anything but cash or debit card. We got talking more and it seemed that Portugal abolished chip and pin about 5 years ago DUE TO FRAUD!!! especially at the Peages!!
Now most people think of Portugal as a sleepy little country and we are supposed to be so sophisicated over here yet that ''backward" little country got rid of something 5 years ago that we think is the bees knees?? Who is the backward country in reality■■?

Since it was introduced I’ve had an incident where £95 disappeared from my account to an electrical store that I’d never been to. The bank’s argument is that as only I have access to the card and pin then it must have been me. This simply enraged me and I wouldn’t let it drop. It eventually got to the point of me providing them with evidence that I was at work in Cambridgeshire at the time the transaction took place and fortunately I had used my card only 30 minutes before the fraudulent one in Bradford so pointed out how the hell could I be in Bradford in 30 mins from Cambridge. More arguing ensued as the bank said that wasn’t good enough proof. Eventually they did refund it, but only as “goodwill gesture” . Makes me sick.

Now I withdraw my wage from the post office once per month (using chip n pin of course ) and pay for EVERYTHING in cash that would otherwise require me to input my pin no. You might think that that is an extreme measure, but when it happens to you and you get the same “well it can only have been you, sir” grief from your bank that I had, you’ll see what I mean.

ah mystery solved, now we know : why the 2 suspected bombers kept there 38,000 under there bed,its safer there than in a bank,it was that simple :laughing: