Skimmed bank card WARNING

Had my new card turn up, not happy as its a contactless one so popped into the bank and got an ordinary chip and pin card ordered.
Normal card turns up so took both cards till I could confirm the new card work ( just in case)
Just checking my account and bingo the contactless card has £50 off it with card not present. Got it sorted bank blocked that card etc but it looks like it’s been used on a Mobile top up.

The debit shows as

EE TOP UP VESTA 08081686076IE

Keep a check on your accounts mine is with the black horse

nick2008:
Had my new card turn up, not happy as its a contactless one so popped into the bank and got an ordinary chip and pin card ordered.
Normal card turns up so took both cards till I could confirm the new card work ( just in case)
Just checking my account and bingo the contactless card has £50 off it with card not present. Got it sorted bank blocked that card etc but it looks like it’s been used on a Mobile top up.

The debit shows as

EE TOP UP VESTA 08081686076IE

Keep a check on your accounts mine is with the black horse

When my card got cloned they bought mobile top ups too. Took over 300 quid, but bank refunded all of it.

Always hide your pin at the cashpoint!

I keep my card in one of those rf blocking sleeve thingies, you can grab one off e-bay cheap enough, and yes hide your pin at all times.

ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat … eve&_frs=1

My only contactless card paid for some other ■■■■■ lunch at waitrose! My wallet was in my knee pocket! The card wasnt even out!

Ever since then I leave it in the house not used it since. Stupidiest idea in the history of anything. It’s barely even faster than chip and pin, pointless!

Was a victim of banking fraud last year, they managed to get 200 quid before the bank clocked it and blocked the account till they contacted me. It was 18 small transactions to foreign betting exchanges. Bank says if they hadn’t seen the irregular pattern they would have emptied the account. But got my money refunded which I was happy about.

merc0447:
My only contactless card paid for some other [zb] lunch at waitrose! My wallet was in my knee pocket! The card wasnt even out!

Ever since then I leave it in the house not used it since. Stupidiest idea in the history of anything. It’s barely even faster than chip and pin, pointless!

Impossible for that to happen!!,completely impossible the card has to be within a couple of centimetres of the reader for it to read it.

My wife’s card got cloned a year or so ago,Halifax “investigated” and decided that actually my wife made the transaction at a Aldi 50 miles away and weren’t going to refund the £56( £40 was cash back,rest was spent on nappies in the store).
So,I rang Halifax to instruct them to,if they believed my wife had made a fraudulent claim, have her arrested and charged for fraud and we would look forward to seeing them in court and to follow would be our claim for damages once they failed to provide the court with evidence that it was my wife who was in the wrong.
I asked for their solicitors details as I would be counter suing them for defamation of character as my wife holds a important job and this would damage her future prospects as they were so sure my wife had tried to make a fraud claim,fast forward 24hr and the head of customer relations at Halifax was on the phone offereing her sincere apologies,the £56 refund and £150 compensation for stress caused,looking back maybe I should of told her shove it and sued them for all the monies but at the time I didn’t see it that way.
Basically they couldn’t be arsed to investigate our claim so instead sent us a letter saying they believed my wife had made the transactions and would not refund.

xichrisxi:

merc0447:
My only contactless card paid for some other [zb] lunch at waitrose! My wallet was in my knee pocket! The card wasnt even out!

Impossible for that to happen!!,completely impossible the card has to be within a couple of centimetres of the reader for it to read it.

My wife’s card got cloned a year or so ago,Halifax “investigated” and decided that actually my wife made the transaction at a Aldi 50 miles away and weren’t going to refund the £56( £40 was cash back,rest was spent on nappies in the store).
So,I rang Halifax to instruct them to,if they believed my wife had made a fraudulent claim, have her arrested and charged for fraud and we would look forward to seeing them in court and to follow would be our claim for damages once they failed to provide the court with evidence that it was my wife who was in the wrong.
I asked for their solicitors details as I would be counter suing them for defamation of character as my wife holds a important job and this would damage her future prospects as they were so sure my wife had tried to make a fraud claim,fast forward 24hr and the head of customer relations at Halifax was on the phone offereing her sincere apologies,the £56 refund and £150 compensation for stress caused,looking back maybe I should of told her shove it and sued them for all the monies but at the time I didn’t see it that way.
Basics they couldn’t be arsed to investigate our claim so instead spent us a letter saying they believed my wife had made the transactions and would not refund.

Apparently some scrote with an app on a phone can grab details as long as the scanner has its power boosted

Just keep an oyster card in your wallet with your contactless bank card, I can’t even pay for things I want to without taking my card out of my wallet. Reading this thread I’m pretty sure my bespoke tin foil hat business is really gonna kick off soon!

Apparently some scrotes can nick the contents of your pocket without you being away. They can break into our houses and steal all our valuables. They can nick your phone and run up a big bill on a ■■■ line.

There are so many ways we can all be ripped off that worrying about contactless cards seems excessive to me. For sure, if someone was crowding me when I used it I would be suspicious. I check my account daily so Nothing untoward will go unnoticed.

You can’t get cash on a contactless card (without the PIN) and the limit is £30 so if £50 was withdrawn, something else was going on.

Les Shoes:
Just keep an oyster card in your wallet with your contactless bank card, I can’t even pay for things I want to without taking my card out of my wallet. Reading this thread I’m pretty sure my bespoke tin foil hat business is really gonna kick off soon!

Sorry mate, the maoster has already cornered that market, he’s sold loads to Carryfast! :open_mouth:

Ffs Evil, shush man, you never know when THEY might be listening!

Santa:
Apparently some scrotes can nick the contents of your pocket without you being away. They can break into our houses and steal all our valuables. They can nick your phone and run up a big bill on a ■■■ line.

There are so many ways we can all be ripped off that worrying about contactless cards seems excessive to me. For sure, if someone was crowding me when I used it I would be suspicious. I check my account daily so Nothing untoward will go unnoticed.

You can’t get cash on a contactless card (without the PIN) and the limit is £30 so if £50 was withdrawn, something else was going on.

Should of explained better,whoever cloned it didn’t use contactless,they swiped the card instore and signed (forged) my wife’s signature.
Apparently they clone a card,but can’t clone the chip so they go in store and when the chip & pin doesn’t work (obviously because it’s blank) they ask to swipe and sign instead.

Someone not very bright tried doing my bank account a couple of years ago. It flagged up a mile away cos I’ve never had 16 grand in there or anywhere near it. They also did a £20 o2 and Vodafone top up which NatWest gave me back. Apparently they do a top up first to see if everything’s working then go for the big one.

I have had mobile phone top up payments taken from my account, it’s worth watching out for.

It’s nothing to do with it being a contactless card, automated telephone services for topping up your phone are often used my fraudsters to test whether card details they have received from a database (possibly stolen) work. Reason they do this is because PAYG sim cards can be bought anonymously and some providers allow you to top up without any registration. They’ll test your card details a few time & if it doesn’t look like your picking up on it (ie. the card doesn’t get cancelled) they’ll clone your card.

xichrisxi:

merc0447:

Basically they couldn’t be arsed to investigate our claim so instead sent us a letter saying they believed my wife had made the transactions and would not refund.

nope! :grimacing: new wifi scam/ can scan your card very easily! My mates shop had a new machine via Barclays as lots of CUSTOMERS been scammed from outside shop.

Fatboy slimslow:

xichrisxi:

merc0447:

nope! :grimacing: new wifi scam/ can scan your card very easily! My mates shop had a new machine via Barclays as lots of CUSTOMERS been scammed from outside shop.

Not a new scam they have been able to do this for years with the wireless chip and pin machines that they usually bring to you in restaurants always go to the till and pay and make them plug the machine in especially abroad . Safe as houses that way .

Fatboy slimslow:

xichrisxi:

merc0447:

Said your mate as he polished his new Ferrari :smiley: Its all old wives tales from those scared of technology…
visa.co.uk/products/visa-contactless/faqs

xichrisxi:

Fatboy slimslow:

xichrisxi:

merc0447:

Said your mate as he polished his new Ferrari :smiley: Its all old wives tales from those scared of technology…
visa.co.uk/products/visa-contactless/faqs

It is with contactless but intercepting the wifi when the card is swiped and a pin put in is a very lucrative pass time