cb's

been driving now for nearl 5 years and think it is about time i got myself a cb as all the drivers i know have 1, just not sure wat to buy dont want to spend a fortune just some thing cheap and chearfull. i have been looking at the midland range any advice out there…

Can’t remember the model number, but I’ve got a couple of the £40 Midland ones. I think it might be a 38.

They’re dual voltage, so work without a dropper.

The only annoying thing is that they automatically switch back to channel 9 if you interrupt the power (which is a royal PITA if you’re powering it from a cigar lighter plug), and the CH+/CH- buttons on the top of the mic are easy to hit by accident.

Make sure your antenna is installed well. The range and performance of a CB rig is determined much more by the antenna than the transciever - you can spend ££££ on a transciever, but if it’s connected to a poor or badly-installed antenna, it’ll always be crap.

IIRC the frequencies are changing at some point, get one that has the 40 uk channels and the 40 European ones

also make sure what band they are using wether it’s AM or FM

To be honest in my experience any basic rig will do you, even the cheapest 80 channel midland ones work pretty well. I’ll second the point made further up the thread about the antenna though - get a good one and make sure it’s installed well (especially with respect to making sure the mount has a good earth and getting the SWR right which you’ll need to buy or borrow a meter for). One point to note on this front is that if you have a truck with a plastic cab (an ERF for example) then you’ll need a special mount for the antenna to make up for the lack of groundplane.

Paul

MrFlibble:
Can’t remember the model number, but I’ve got a couple of the £40 Midland ones. I think it might be a 38.

I’ve got the same, done me ok.

is it legal to use a cb :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: not that i have heard it against the law :slight_smile: :slight_smile: but it is no different to using a mobile :astonished: :astonished:

It is legal to use a 2 way radio in your motor HOWEVER you can be done for driving “without due care and attention”. What I do is pass the over back if I see an obsticle and if something catches me out I just throw the mike down.
The police didnt want the mobile phone law because they had more than enough laws to play with.

Anyone remember the old 148 / 360, best radio’s I ever owned…

Jeez, those were the days… :slight_smile:

icky:
is it legal to use a cb :exclamation: :exclamation: :question: not that i have heard it against the law :slight_smile: :slight_smile: but it is no different to using a mobile :astonished: :astonished:

Its quite easy to get a hands free kit now for most radios… :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: and i think if you go to ofcom website some where it tells you about using 2 way radio…

When setting up a CB don’t buy a cheap antenna because its quality will make a massive difference to the radio’s performance… :sunglasses:

Get your seelf to the cb shack at lymm, he suppliews and fits them for around 70 80 quid, I think