CB Radio's Advice please

OK guys n girls,
I’ve just started uk work back and forward to England
, Scotland, Ireland etc from my Base in N Ireland
I want to get a CB, mainly for info on roadworks, accidents, the law etc…
I understand quite a few drivers still use them, especially on a75 kinda roads etc
so usually channel 19, but which mode are truckers using now a days??
AM? FM? EC (Cept) ■■?
Any info much appreciated…
thanks

Waste of time for the reasons you’re on about as the thread about the A1 accident at Grantham illustrates. Not many have them anymore, those who do tend not to use them that much.

Ch19 is going to be FM. Just get one of the cheap multi-standard Cobras. The antenna is going to be the issue though. Modern trucks are not CB antenna friendly and mounting them usually ends up being on the back of the cab so they barely make it a mile down the road.

I think they are still popular in the areas the O/P will be operating though Conor

As Conor says modern vehicles are not CB friendly,I found that the on board electrics / computer played havoc with the SWR for example I could check the SWR and get different readings although I had not moved a wheel.
Problems started when the Company changed from Scania 94`s to Daf never bothered to put one in again.

Stop of at forton services on the M6 northbound a fella there will fit a CB for you for a reasonable price as well as SWR the antenna if you have no CB he will sell you the complete package and fit it all too, fits a CB in about 40 minutes so ideal for a 45 break on the way up the road. Buy an AM set and use Channel 19 he is open at about 8 in the morning till 5 at night.

A75 use am ch19. Make sure it is the proper am not those cheap am fm sets. Midland cb are best. You will also get fm ch19 on the A75 but usually just tippers and timber wagons.

Jenkinsons wagons are fm ch26

mazzer:
if you have no CB he will sell you the complete package and fit it all too, fits a CB in about 40 minutes

:open_mouth:

So its just thrown in? Hope he doesn’t charge. I’d expect a permanent install to take the best part of a day and a full proper install to take a couple of days.

The cb users around here don’t bother with ch19, preferring to stick to “their” channels, depending on who they work for.
When I’ve listened to ch19 it’s all the nonsense “breaker breaker” ■■■■■■■■.

Conor:

mazzer:
if you have no CB he will sell you the complete package and fit it all too, fits a CB in about 40 minutes

So its just thrown in? Hope he doesn’t charge. I’d expect a permanent install to take the best part of a day and a full proper install to take a couple of days.

Had him fit two for me and no problems on either set plenty adequate for the A75 no point hearing someone 5 mile away up there as you will just end doing 40mph as you’ll think there is a copper behind every tree

Conor:

mazzer:

Are you naturally just a ■■■■ or do you have to practise

happysack:

Whats the matter, is the guy running the CB shop your fkbuddy?

You can’t install one properly in 40 minutes.

Conor:

happysack:

He only wants to talk to his mate up the road Conor, not re establish contact with Beagle 1.

the maoster:

Conor:

happysack:

He only wants to talk to his mate up the road Conor, not re establish contact with Beagle 1.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2 days to fit a poxy CB, I’ve done full certified installations in ships in half that time :unamused: :laughing:
and that includes fully insulated installed systems, calculating correct length of wire between insulators depending on frequencies used and suppression of interference to nearby equipment. Plus fitting safety loops which meant climbing the masts, then there was the time taken for the test by the authorities before the ‘licence to operate’ was issued. Must be more involved in fitting a cb to a lorry than I imagined, sorry but in saying that most antennas are now the long whippy things that poke out of the wheelhouse roof ie pre voltage standing wave ratio already done by the makers.

FM is better the AM although some might disagree, I have used both over the years, FM signals follow the earths surface and so in fact providing no other breaker (talker) is between you and who you are talking to the range is very good. In past years using FM I have been at Woolly Edge and talked quite clearly to another driver sitting a Leicester Forrest, on AM the signal travels in straight lines and does not follow the earths curvature or land line, therefore hills etc will interfere with that signal, the advantage that AM has is that travelling in straight lines means it will actually bounce off the atmosphere then will be, then be picked up by others far away. In this country we all use AM and I hear people on the other side of the country but can’t hear those a few miles away. I wish I could get an FM radio here, I could have great fun providing another friend had one also.