Cb radio

Hi, I’m interested in buying a cb radio. Seems the volvo fh I have is all pre wired. As illustrated in the pic. What’s a good all round cb. I don’t mind paying top dollar as long as it represents good value. Not very knowledgeable at all. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

we have used Midland in all our lorries and ■■■■■■ vehicles for as long as I can remember. They are probably one of the most well known makes, been around for decades. They vary from basic spec units for around 50-60 quid right up to the multi-hundred stuff that does stuff I don’t even know about. We just need something that can communicate between ■■■■■■ vehicle and lorry that is following reliably and they seem to fit the bill perfectly. Had the odd microphone needing changing but the head unit itself you’ll never get trouble with.

For any help check out Thunderpole in Northampton, they have a website also. They sell a lot of cb stuff and can probably advise you on best setup for what you need.

The president Cbs catch my eye. Merely the price. Probably not a rational purchase. Thanks for your help.

If you want a good retailer, then there is also Knights at Kirton in Lindsey in Lincolnshire, who have been around for donkeys years.

Ken.

Amazon have some at decent prices.

noc:
The president Cbs catch my eye. Merely the price. Probably not a rational purchase. Thanks for your help.

There’s little difference to choose between any of them. All the legal ones have the same power output, every CB made in the last 40 years can hear weak signals well below the noise floor anywhere on planet earth. Antenna is the thing that will make the difference as a short 3ft thing installed poorly will give you a few miles range at best, whereas a 6ft long one in the middle of the roof will give you 20+ miles.

For ease of fitment look for one with a Din fitment, it will slot straight into a blank hole near your radio/tacho

If range is your concern. Get something with single side band. The CRT SS6900n would be my choice. But your coax and a decent well tuned antenna are more important than the radio itself for good transmissions

chaversdad:
For ease of fitment look for one with a Din fitment, it will slot straight into a blank hole near your radio/tacho

This. They also have front firing speakers usually which makes them much easier to hear.

TTI do one, TTI TCB 1100.

kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1389.html

Or alternatively there’s DIN adapters like this to allow other makes to be used…

kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p1339.html

Anything with a cybernet chassis,K40 speech processing Mike,24v 200w linear, Wilson 1000/2000 antenna, mounted in centre of roof.

biggriffin:
Anything with a cybernet chassis,K40 speech processing Mike,24v 200w linear, Wilson 1000/2000 antenna, mounted in centre of roof.

Hi, I got a s/h thunderpole t800. Wired it up to the cigarette lighter power source and after a few minutes it quit. The fuse wire is broken. Why would it take 5 mins to break?

Are you trying to pump 24V into a 12V set?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When I put it in the 12v it didn’t even light up. I’m a complete amateur.

There’s a white plug with a red and white wire, normally it’s taped up near the tacho, red=+ white=–, it’s fused in the fuse box!!check it’s 12v first. Check your CB isn’t on PA, be a switch.

Not entirely sure about what CB channels can be used these days,if its still 1-40 with SSB.
I suggest trying for your HAM Licence and get something that you can get all frequencies and open a new world rather than the normal Trucker CB chatter especially when your on a night out.