Can anyone explain this tyre wear?

I’ve noticed that the N/S front tyre on my Axor unit is wearing strangely, this is the original tyre from the factory. It’s not wearing all of the way to the edge but about 2cm in from the edge :

The tyre on the other side is wearing normally and uniformly, and the rest of the tyre in question is also ok.

Any ideas ?

could something be catching it? look for shiny/rubbed bits of body/mudguard etc especially towards the front.

otherwise, the only thing I can think is the tyre’s badly made and is falling apart - which surely means a replacement should be free?

I should know but I’ve never seen one like that.

Bridgestone?, I had a steer tyre do something similar but they only refunded the unused percentage of the tread, and that was after several weeks of them denying any fault and me bouncing several letters back and to, but worth a try.

I had the same problem several times on an Actros no doubt you will find this hard to believe.MB suggested I took the unit to a place in Immingham where the front axle would be heated and bent to overcome this fault.Seemed the axles were not manufactured to a high enough standard.Never actually did but I believe others did.You might want to suggest it to your MB dealership.

would you say that tyre is illegal?

You see something similar on older Tatra trucks, because of their central tube frame and swinging half axles.
Your case seems too extreme to me to be down to camber adjustment. I’d guess there’s something bent - steering rod, kingpin knuckle or even the axle… It can all happen surprisingly easily during a trip into ditch and/or subsequent recovery

Steve-o:

This is one of the reasons that I asked as I’m unsure…to be honest the rest of the tyre is fine and there is still tread across the tyre so I don’t know where I stand ■■?

George-1982:

Steve-o:

This is one of the reasons that I asked as I’m unsure…to be honest the rest of the tyre is fine and there is still tread across the tyre so I don’t know where I stand ■■?

the instant a thred shows I would refuse to drive it

Good question, tread depth wise I’d say it’s legal i.e. over 1mm across 75% of the tread but I’m not sure about yours because it “doesn’t look very good” if you see what I mean.

As above though, I wouldn’t be very happy driving on it.

That would be coming off and monitor the replacement tyre, if it fails again its the truck at fault.

Every one of our daf’s has had this problem, on each occassion the tyre fitters have replaced them.

Seen this happen before, and only with that particular type of Bridgestone tyre, on Scanny 3 & 4 series and DAF’s. It’s as if there’s a weakness in the outer wall. When we replaced them with Michelin XZE2’s on our Scanny 4-series, (without any other alterations)the problem went away. Perhaps it’s a type of use or wear that the Bridgestone tyre struggles with? I’ve seen the other Bridgestone steer pattern (can’t remember it’s model number but the pattern is more ‘blocked’ across the tyre, rather than ‘radial’ on the faulty ones) wear out fine.

Before looking at axles, etc I’d recommend checking the basics first (wheel correctly fitted to the hub, pressures, use balancing powder and/or check the tracking) before owt else.

As regards legality, well technically it’s fine, but itlookspoor, and might be just the thing to get VOSA looking further down the wagon?

I drove the same model of truck for 3 years and exactly the same problem, after arguments with the supervisor I took it to merc and they told me it is due to driving to fast whilst going round corners, that was bull crap as I the job was all motorways.

The law side I monitored the wear and the tyre I used had a side wall maker on how deep the grip went before it got illegal and basically as soon as one bit of the wear got to it, got the tyre changed, this caused 100’s of arguments with management and between you and me a couple of times I did on purpose let the tyre down/stick a couple of nails in it to avoid the arguements but vosa never questioned the wear at times I have been stopped. It is worrying to look at I agree but I have been told it is due to the power steering when the wheel is either spinning to fast for the corner or your at a stand still and put the full lock on, you might notice it in both front wheels, more on the passenger side.

Got the same thing on the DAF I drive at the moment.

So VOSA wont ‘do’ me for it then ? I still think I’m going to defect it when I get back into the yard, just for somebody to come and have a look at it

they never did me, but like I say I always had the tyre changed when it looked like it had worn down to 1mm on the edge, I know the law says 75% across the tyre or something, but with it being my licence I wasn’t taking any chances.

I would get it checked if you have time, stop at a tyre place or something I have always been told it’s ok and it probably is, but if the driver has no confidence in the vehicle he/she is driving, then always get it checked. I am not trained in this field but in my experance I have never had a problem as long as the tyre wasn’t bald or damaged

Try turning the tyre to see if it wears the same when going in the opposite direction also had the same problem on a Daf with a Continental and it went back to them and they found out it was a different compound .

that tyre isnt illegal, as there is no wire cord showing and its not bald besides that part, i work for a firm who run actros’s and each 1 has the exact same problem, all drive straight and fine just all worn down like that, but on the it varys from n/s to o/s so as some 1 mentioned the axle might be bent very slighty !

George-1982:
I’ve noticed that the N/S front tyre on my Axor unit is wearing strangely, this is the original tyre from the factory. It’s not wearing all of the way to the edge but about 2cm in from the edge :

The tyre on the other side is wearing normally and uniformly, and the rest of the tyre in question is also ok.

Any ideas ?

Run your hand across the tyre, if there is a feathered edge to it then it’s alignment, if it’s smooth then it’s a loose wheel bearing :bulb: