Tyres Dont be Stupid like I was

Comments please guys.

I did a 7.5 tonner job (via agency) yesterday. Iveco Eurocargo flatbed.
During walkaround check I noticed front nearside tyre almost bald on nearside edge, but just 1mm tread there (I thought). The cab side of the same tyre had two other good grooves of about 2.5 mm. (These tyres have 3 tread grooves)
Mentioned it to the guy who was FLT loading me and he had a look and said “Yea, its just on the edge that is , its just legal”. I need the money so I didnt take it any further.

What would have happened if i had refused to drive it?

Anyway I went out with it. I put a new tacho disc (analogue) in and started my drops.
At each drop I looked at the tyre again and noticed that in fact the kerbside was completely bald and down to the actual steel wire in parts!! Oh (&(^ I was really worried now and as I was 40 miles from base I just bit my lip and carried on.

Anyway I got back to the yard at about 4 pm and immediately spoke to another (permanent) driver about it. He looked and said “yes thats 3 point on your licence mate!”

After I got unloaded, the boss said to me “Take that wagon to such and such a garage and leave it there (1 mile away) Its got an MOT booked for Tuesday”, so I took it. All the time I was thinking I am a fool and taking a real chance, but I desperately need money to pay bills etc. Dropped the wagon off at the MOT garage. Took my tacho disc out and NOTHING except scratches was recorded on it!. Whats all that about? I was given a lift back to the yard, clocked off got in my car and went home.
What a nightmare day, driving around whiilst worried about the tyre. Then thinking “What do I do with the tacho disc, what if mr. VOSA asks for it?”
DONT DO IT - its not worth it! I was stupid wasnt I ? :unamused:

LandyLad:
Comments please guys.

in fact the kerbside was completely bald and down to the actual steel wire in parts!! Oh (&(^ I was really worried now and as I was 40 miles from base I just bit my lip and carried on.

Well if you keep taking risks like that you wont have your licence for very long mate, just refuse to take it out.

Yes landy lad you are stupid and lucky to get away with it :unamused: worse still you could have killed or injured someond :cry: as for the tacho you can do a manuel one but report it as a fault :wink: and if i was you i would refuse to go back to that firm they sound like a right bunch of tossers :unamused:

Yes guys, I KNOW you are right! :blush:

I have posted this in the hope that it will deter anybody else who might be in a similar situation in the future.

Does anybody have an opinion on what might have happened to me if I had refused to take the wagon out?

Do agencies usually side with their client or their driver on these matters? :question:

It’s just not worth the risk ,… have an acident, loose your licence & much more, & all for a days pay!!. You would have lost more than a days pay if things had gone terribly wrong :neutral_face:

dont forget in cases like this the driver is always right because you have a responsibility to yourself and other people who may suffer because of your stupidity :unamused: and if the boss dont like it just tell him to get a life because you want to respect yours and keep it :wink:

You should have got yourself to a safe place to park up and just let the tyre down,phone them up and say you’ve had a puncture.
I’ve done this numereous times in the past for a bit of overtime. :wink:

I had a similar thing with a 7.5.ton job again through agency not tyre but fumes comming in cab via gear change rubber (If there had been one ) no hight displaed in cab didnt notice till i was halfwy to drop . agent phoned me while i was on the road to give me same job for day after but this time a long haul to Scarbrough told him no as Hitler was’nt that cruel . The week after he phoned again to say truck fixed would i do a job in it . was a local job again said yes this time no fumes but still no hight info in cab and mirrors were all over the place not secure at all also doors could not be opened from out side . ( had to lean in through door and open from inside . This time I phoned the agent and told him if thats all the work he had then dont call me again he told me he didnt know it was that bad . The transport manager let it slip to me when he called it the Pram … ( oh your taking the pram arnt you he said ) That was because every one who drives it screems at him . :angry: :open_mouth: since then i have had no probs with vehicles at all but still had work from the agent .

Tell the Agent he may not know and tell them streight its your licence … :wink:

YAMBOL57:
I had a similar thing with a 7.5.ton job again through agency not tyre but fumes comming in cab via gear change rubber (If there had been one ) no hight displaed in cab didnt notice till i was halfwy to drop . agent phoned me while i was on the road to give me same job for day after but this time a long haul to Scarbrough told him no as Hitler was’nt that cruel . The week after he phoned again to say truck fixed would i do a job in it . was a local job again said yes this time no fumes but still no hight info in cab and mirrors were all over the place not secure at all also doors could not be opened from out side . ( had to lean in through door and open from inside . This time I phoned the agent and told him if thats all the work he had then dont call me again he told me he didnt know it was that bad . The transport manager let it slip to me when he called it the Pram … ( oh your taking the pram arnt you he said ) That was because every one who drives it screems at him . :angry: :open_mouth: since then i have had no probs with vehicles at all but still had work from the agent .

Tell the Agent he may not know and tell them streight its your licence … :wink:

stick to your guns and if that vehicle is not legal tell him where to put it :astonished:

Take a photo of the tyre if you can so there can be no dispute about it

ROG:

And hang yourself!

James Bateman2:
You should have got yourself to a safe place to park up and just let the tyre down,phone them up and say you’ve had a puncture.
I’ve done this numereous times in the past for a bit of overtime. :wink:

^ This. I wouldn’t worry too much about the tacho now. Are you sure you inserted it correctly?

I had that a tacho like that on an agency job, just filled it in manually on the back and signed it. No problem.

Doesn’t one of the analogue types have a little plastic bit that the tacho disc needs to sit under or it won’t write. Or am I dreaming that up.

44 Tonne Ton:

ROG:

And hang yourself!

I meant if not taking it out
That way the agency cannot dispute what was wrong and the agency will have some clout with the client

8wheels:
I had that a tacho like that on an agency job, just filled it in manually on the back and signed it. No problem.

Doesn’t one of the analogue types have a little plastic bit that the tacho disc needs to sit under or it won’t write.

Yeah on mine its goes underneth it.

I would learn how to do a walkround check properly, dont rely on forklift drivers or the office boy, they will not get done when the polis stop you, you will, and the agency wont even care about you…

When I say learn to do the checks properly. I mean so you actually know if it is illegal or just an irritation.

Refusing to drive a lorry at 3am isn’t going to get you any brownie points, even less if you have refused to drive it because the wiper blade is split or the radio doesn’t work