tyre problem what would you do

one of the other drivers thinks it’s fine to have this on a front wheel
to me it looks like its been run low on air or some thing for the damage on the side wall

just to add I sent the tyre fitter out to change it and got a phone call off the GM :laughing:
asking if I know what it costs to have this done out on road

I’d have said that was a hard or sharp kerb strike, judging by that picture the sidewall gets nearly as much wear as the tread… :smiling_imp:

Donning my TNUK CSI cap for a moment, been driven on the brakes for a good while… :wink:

it’s not been cleaned an covered in salt :laughing:
night cleaners called in sick for 2 nights its on one a coach
it’s on the off side also

The 2 through the 22 look pretty deep, I’d have definitely been asking a 2nd opinion / having it changed.

Looks like a remould tyre, not very good for a steer axle

Defect the tyre and take vehicle off road.
Hard to tell how deep the cut goes but on front axle if i was the next driver this vehicle wouldn’t be going anywhere till it was fixed.

Theres always those that will take the risk rather than an added delay but to me this is unsafe and should have been noted on the previous drivers end of shift walkround checks.

I had it changed and when I am back in I will be going over the log’s to see if it was reported before if it was
I will be wanting to know why it was not changed and sent out like that

As long as there is no steel cord visable . . its legal.

Dannyf:
one of the other drivers thinks it’s fine to have this on a front wheel
to me it looks like its been run low on air or some thing for the damage on the side wall

Get the Michelin Technical people to have a look at it and see what they say.

Bit of a tough one that. Like as has been said, if there’s no steel showing I think it is legal but I wouldn’t fancy driving it as any damage at all to the side wall may increase the chance of a blow out. Probly be ok but depends who’s paying the bill. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t look like a remould to me, XZU is a bus/coach fitment. As OP pointed out, its fitted OSF on a coach. If it was on a bus, doubt you could read anything on the side wall :smiley:

Definitely get it off the front of the coach ASAP…consider sending for major repair or running it off on a drive or tag axle (if no cords exposed)…if possible & a suitable vehicle can be found. Michelen may give some credit for casing…even if it’s considered non-repairable.

GCR2ERF:
Doesn’t look like a remould to me, XZU is a bus/coach fitment. As OP pointed out, its fitted OSF on a coach. If it was on a bus, doubt you could read anything on the side wall :smiley:

Is that writing at the bottom of the pic, I thought it was glue off a remould?

It can blow out like that.Needs changing.If it blew in a busy street there is the risk of injury to pedestrians or other vehicles.
On the road,loss of control if the driver panics.

waynedl:

GCR2ERF:

Is that writing at the bottom of the pic, I thought it was glue off a remould?

I see what you mean pal.

I know it got a new one fitted to it and I will find out whats gone on with the old unit
the company I sent out to it changed it on the spot as he did not like it

from my time at bus companys the side walls was also done in as they have to run on the side of bus stop to get the ramps out and to give step free into buses

Dannyf:
I know it got a new one fitted to it and I will find out whats gone on with the old unit
the company I sent out to it changed it on the spot as he did not like it

from my time at bus companys the side walls was also done in as they have to run on the side of bus stop to get the ramps out and to give step free into buses

Tyres on buses now have a depth bump moulded into them to show a safe reading of sidewall wear, the op was right to get it changed, regardless of a coach or truck, the tyre is only thing between the road and you. Safety first all the time.

Hope Im not setting myself up for a severe flaying from you experienced guys (im a noob CatC), but if I recall correctly, the DSA “bible” quote goes something like - deep cuts more than an inch long… They look to be more than superficial surface defects, & even a virgin driver like myself wouldnt be taking that wagon out. If Im wrong on this (pretty hopeful that i`m not!), be gentle with me !! I suppose it all boils down to what the rozzers/vosa would make of it were you to get the kerbside scrutineer treatment.

If vosa stopped this, they would stick a screwdriver into the split, if they felt rubber then it would be legal and pass with an advisory. If they felt steel, then it would be going nowhere

Loads left on that