tyre problem what would you do

Dannyf:
one of the other drivers thinks it’s fine to have this on a front wheel
to me it looks like its been run low on air or some thing for the damage on the side wall

second pic looks like a surface cut but the first pic looks like deep cuts so i would say you made the right call, better too pay a few hundred quid and get it fixed on the road rather than take a chance and have it blow out on the road which then might cost thousands

You asked what I would do.
I would defect it on my pre drive walk around, it wouldn’t go out the yard or wherever I picked it up from until the tyre had been checked and approved or changed. The cuts look over an inch long and appear deep.

The nearest I’ve had to something like that was when I picked up a trailer on a Sunday afternoon. The re-mold had started to split around the casing (lots of cracks) so I called the companies 24/7 cover and reported it, they sent a tyre fitter out who’s first reaction when he saw it was “there’s nothing wrong with that!” So I asked him for a written confirmation that the tyre was legal. He then decided he may as well change it anyway.

Remember it’s your licence which gets endorsed and you insurance which increases for the next 5 years because you have points on your licence, not the company’s.

Dipper_Dave:
Defect the tyre and take vehicle off road.
Hard to tell how deep the cut goes but on front axle if i was the next driver this vehicle wouldn’t be going anywhere till it was fixed.

Theres always those that will take the risk rather than an added delay but to me this is unsafe and should have been noted on the previous drivers end of shift walkround checks.

100% agree with this^ esp on front: *hits the fan for example if you changed with the night man and he over-looked it on a walk around and was killed because of a blow out, could you live with yourself?

Not great on a steer axle but looks legal.You can get a major repair done on that for £50 if there is a fair bit of tread left.

Dannyf:
just to add I sent the tyre fitter out to change it and got a phone call off the GM :laughing:
asking if I know what it costs to have this done out on road

That’s absolutelly right,
But shall not have gone out in first Place

Dannyf:
just to add I sent the tyre fitter out to change it and got a phone call off the GM :laughing:
asking if I know what it costs to have this done out on road

i would have replied how much would it cost for repairs if there was an accident due to a blowout,the average tyre costs about £200 to £300 pounds [i think]repairs from an accident could run into thousands,the gm sounds a bit of a ■■■■

Cuts look more than 25mm long so needs changing as it would fail an MOT. If theres still plenty of meat on the tread send it away for a major repair and then consign it to a drive or lift/tag.

I know a heck of a lot about motorcycle tyres, yet I know almost nothing about lorry tyres.

Most of my riding mates ask my opinion about their motorcycle tyres, this is because my knowledge is extensive & respected. Knowledge that was formed from years of experience fuelled by the desire to learn.

I have a thirst for knowledge regarding motorcycle tyres, I’m quite close to a family of successful circuit racers & often get the chance to chat with the factory tyre guys. They seem to like me 'cos I’ve gone well beyond the stupid questions stage & entered into the fringes of the unexplored territory of the current, experimental technology.

Yet I know almost nothing about lorry tyres.

All I can say is that if the damage to the OP’s tyre was on a performance motorcycle, then I certainly wouldn’t ride it, I wouldn’t allow anyone else to ride it either, at least no one that I liked.

I’m just baiting the trolls that are fixated on my username here, they seldom read the whole post & don’t have the brain capacity to put anything into context.

If it were me that spotted the damage indicated in the photo’s, then I’d need to respect the opinion of whoever tells me it would be OK to take it out on the road. My thinking is that a pro truck tyre fitter would need to look at it before it moved with me behind the wheel.

a update on this had to get 3 fronts changed
and had no more like this or other damage since one ex driver stopped hanging around near the yard

Dannyf:
a update on this had to get 3 fronts changed
and had no more like this or other damage since one ex driver stopped hanging around near the yard

are you suggesting that the ex-driver was deliberately damaging the tyres?

be very careful how you answer :wink:

that’s some thing I cant answer

Think yourself lucky DannyF. This is how a night man left my trailer after his trunk just before the Christmas hols. Said he didn’t notice it!!! Call me cynical, but I reckon it was more likely he did notice it, but since it was a friday night/Saturday morning, he didn’t want to wait on a tyre fitter so just kept going with it.

3 fronts? How many front wheels does it have?

the maoster:
3 fronts? How many front wheels does it have?

was on more then one

Lol. Fair play. :smiley:

damoq:
Think yourself lucky DannyF. This is how a night man left my trailer after his trunk just before the Christmas hols. Said he didn’t notice it!!! Call me cynical, but I reckon it was more likely he did notice it, but since it was a friday night/Saturday morning, he didn’t want to wait on a tyre fitter so just kept going with it.

that’s a good one I did have a donkey once drive a coach back to depo with a rear out side gone flat
when he wanted to go home it come off the rim causing lots of damage to body work and could of hit some one

Suedehead:
As long as there is no steel cord visable . . its legal.

WRONG

sweeper1gg:

Suedehead:
As long as there is no steel cord visable . . its legal.

WRONG

That’s what I was told by a tyre fitter…But I didn’t take it anyway. A 5 inch split between the casing and tread is not good. No doubt someone else took it.

I would be reporting that, that is a cut and it looks more than 25mm or an inch long, and if it it was on a coach full of choir boys or girl guides than I would refuse to take it out.

Wheel Nut:
I would be reporting that, that is a cut and it looks more than 25mm or an inch long, and if it it was on a coach full of choir boys or girl guides than I would refuse to take it out.

What about if it was a Coach full of Lesbian/Bi Nymphomaniacs & there was a chance that you might break down in the middle of nowhere & not be able to get help for 3 days. Would you take it out then ?