Opinions on tyre

Couldn’t find a better place to put this but I was hoping someone may be able to advise me on this tyre, it’s on the n/s drive axle and it’s happening to the inner tyre too.

It has been defected and the relevant people know but communication has been poor and I’m not entirely sure whether it is being sorted over the weekend. Just wondering if it’s still in a state where it’s okay to take out or if I should refuse to take it out.

Thanks,

The tread is separating from the casing. It’s not likely to blowout but will still cause a lot of damage to things like the unit wingtop, light cluster, and brake lines when it goes. It does need changing.

(I’m assuming this is a crack you could push a key into and not just excess surface rubber from the retreading process but hard to tell)

It looks like a recap and thats just the rubber thats put to make the join between the cap and the original casing look smoother, as long as the actual cap isnt coming off I think its ok.

Pursy

I think you’ll have to shove a screwdriver into the crack and see how far it goes in, if you can see or feel wires its got to come off.

Agree with above, it might only be excess rubber from a recap.

As you’ve defected it, its either been signed off as OK or been changed by now i would have thought, always a good idea to put a defect in, verbal only trail deniable.

nothing wrong with it

as said, it is just the excess rubber from a remould/recap

You only need to worry if either of these happen.

Some people think remould’s are cost effective :angry:

500Km’s was all it took this remould to start throwing rubber blocks at the cars overtaking me a couple of years ago.
O/S outer drive axle.

Looks like the excess rubber to me too, the reason I say this is because it seems like a ‘section’ of rubber all the way round.

Juddian:
I think you’ll have to shove a screwdriver into the crack and see how far it goes in, if you can see or feel wires its got to come off.

As you’ve defected it, its either been signed off as OK or been changed by now i would have thought, always a good idea to put a defect in, verbal only trail deniable.

Not sure that’s such a good idea tbh, it could turn real nasty real fast… I know you’re a skilled person and would know what you’re feeling for etc, but other people may not and may actually stab through the wires…

waynedl:
Looks like the excess rubber to me too, the reason I say this is because it seems like a ‘section’ of rubber all the way round.

Juddian:

Not sure that’s such a good idea tbh, it could turn real nasty real fast… I know you’re a skilled person and would know what you’re feeling for etc, but other people may not and may actually stab through the wires…

Put it this way i wouldn’t argue with the bloke who could push a screwdriver through steel cords, and i’d call him sir…:wink:

I’ll take it’s safe, I had seen it happening but I had been talking to a few other drivers next to the vehicle when they noticed it and thought it was dangerous and would go. The same is happening on the tyres the other side but nowhere near as obvious as this.

Can I be safe to assume this doesn’t indicate that it will start to separate further and make it a problem?

Thanks for the putting right :slight_smile:

I know remoulds are a guvnors best friend, but I think they’re evil heaps of ■■■■

kindle530:
500Km’s was all it took this remould to start throwing rubber blocks at the cars overtaking me a couple of years ago.
O/S outer drive axle.

Lol :slight_smile:

Long as they don’t blow out… If the tread falls off it won’t be a major disaster. You’ve told them it’s a bit moody, if they can’t be arsed changing it then that breakdown is on them.

Cheap tyres are a total false economy as long as your drivers aren’t crap.

Silver_Surfer:
If the tread falls off it won’t be a major disaster.

Unless you’re the poor sap in the car following the truck when it does.

Company I work for won’t buy remoulded tyres full stop I was quite surprised actually

Conor:

Silver_Surfer:
If the tread falls off it won’t be a major disaster.

Unless you’re the poor sap in the car following the truck when it does.

I get what you’re saying but driving over some tyre tread would be within most people’s skill set.

dafpower:
Company I work for won’t buy remoulded tyres full stop I was quite surprised actually

They’re alright if you run light, not heavy.

I judge whether tyres are ok or not by asking myself “what would the VOSA man say about this?”. VOSA are very fastidious about tyres.