Scania tyre wear

Hi all, any thoughts on uneven tyre wear??

We have a 09 plate Scania rigid 4x2 with the off side front axle tyre worn down to the legal minimum but the near side still at about 5mm!!!

Both were fitted at the same time…any thoughts please as to what may have caused this??

My boss is looking for someone to blame cos “it MUST have been the way its been driven” :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Does it pull to one side? is the steering wheel at 12 o’clock when going in a straight line? do you have to hold the wheel to stop it going of course? hit any big kerbs lately?

Brake keeps locking up on that wheel and nobody’s noticed the smoke? :laughing:

Going into roundabouts at full tilt before applying the brakes?

Even though the tyres were fitted at the same time and have done the same amount of work if the shoulders are intact and there is no feathering on the tyre then it is a possibility that the tyre compound may be slightly different to the other one, just because they were fitted together does not mean that they were moulded from the same batch of rubber, if the boss feels aggrieved about the tyre he can always return the tyre to the manufacturer for testing, I had an issue with Michelin XZA’s some years ago where the tyres were wearing uneven, it was sorted and tyres were replaced by Michelin but they never told me why ■■?

offside you say, does the driver need to go on a diet ? just a thought :laughing:

I drove a 6x2 Scanny unit once and every time I braked the lift axle tyres locked up, they were like 50p’s :neutral_face:

Well, talk about stating the bleeding obvious!!!..I had a look at the offending vehicle last night then pointed out to the driver that maybe it had something to do with the N/S tyre being about 9 months younger than the O/S tyre.!!! :unamused: :unamused:

They HAD NOT been both fitted at the same time,something that was quite obvious when you looked at the general condition of the two.

The N/S tyre had been replaced due to a puncture with a new tyre about 4 weeks ago whilst the older one was left on the O/S hence the different tread depths :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:…nothing at all to do with uneven tyre wear!

Needless to say, the said driver is now desperately thinking of reasons as to why it never occurred to him (and two others) what had happened and what reason he is going to give to the boss for booking it off the road last night thus cancelling a job!! :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for taking the time to reply chaps anyway…(zb) happens!!! :laughing: :wink:

bullitt:
Well, talk about stating the bleeding obvious!!!..I had a look at the offending vehicle last night then pointed out to the driver that maybe it had something to do with the N/S tyre being about 9 months younger than the O/S tyre.!!! :unamused: :unamused:

I find it hard to believe that your boss does not have a tyre maintenance record, it is the easiest thing in the world to record (make/type/size/tread depth/serial number/date fitted), tyres are very expensive and have to be taken into the running costs of the truck. Some people have too much money :wink: :wink: :wink:

brados:

bullitt:
…I find it hard to believe that your boss does not have a tyre maintenance record…:

Its not a road transport set up, a quick phone call to the MT dept would have solved the issue!! :wink: