Unusual wear pattern

Haven’t seen this type of wear before any clues as to the cause

Underinflation.

I’m in no way an expert but if I had to have a punt I’d say it was a combination of over inflation, 4 wheel unit (therefore heavy on the front) , and "enthusiastic " cornering :wink:

the maoster:
I’m in no way an expert but if I had to have a punt I’d say it was a combination of over inflation, 4 wheel unit (therefore heavy on the front) , and "enthusiastic " cornering :wink:

Lol am fairly easy on the cornering like to keep her upright, pressure at about 110 which is the recommended for Bridgestones will be getting a new one put on in 2 weeks when am back in the yard

Have you checked steering geometry

Mazzer2:

the maoster:

Lol am fairly easy on the cornering like to keep her upright, pressure at about 110 which is the recommended for Bridgestones will be getting a new one put on in 2 weeks when am back in the yard

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I only said that 'cos my Microlise score goes A A A A A E A A. The E being harsh cornering (if it ain’t howling it ain’t turning) and my tyres have looked like that :smiley:

ianto:
Have you checked steering geometry

Will get that looked at when she goes in for the replacement and hopefully it will prevent the new one going the same way, had this unit for over 3 years now and this is the first time the tyres have worn in this way

If it’s just on the one side probably worn kingpin or bearing but would’ve thought you’d know about it if it was the bearing.

Mazzer if you meant the darker wear in the middle with being on the front I’d be swapping that my self incase the tyres gone out of shape rather than a lorry fault .ive seen this on smaller tyres and they’re not long before going bang .

Punchy Dan:
Mazzer if you meant the darker wear in the middle with being on the front I’d be swapping that my self incase the tyres gone out of shape rather than a lorry fault .ive seen this on smaller tyres and they’re not long before going bang .

Will look to get it done sooner then, have you noticed a deterioration in the quality of tyres recently, we have always used Bridgestones but lately they don’t seem to be lasting so long. Compared my drive axle tyres with a friends who is using continentals both doing similar work and weights and his seemed to be wearing far better.

Could it be a tyre fault, rather than anything with the truck?

That’s called river wear and basically means you’ve got as much out of that tyre as possible. Alignment and wheel bearings look to be fine, judging by the rest of the tyre. I would replace the shock absorbers, which should be changed when you put new front tyres on anyway, worn shocks will always exaggerate any wear pattern and they’re cheap enough to replace.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
That’s called river wear and basically means you’ve got as much out of that tyre as possible. Alignment and wheel bearings look to be fine, judging by the rest of the tyre. I would replace the shock absorbers, which should be changed when you put new front tyres on anyway, worn shocks will always exaggerate any wear pattern and they’re cheap enough to replace.

Had a new shock put on 3 weeks ago and the rate of wear seems to have slowed so could well have been worn shocks

Over inflation could be a factor too, but you said you run 110psi and that’s fine for a front axle as its always close to its gross weight. One thing I always do is check the pressure a day after inflation, I have a calibrated pressure gauge that I treat like a new born baby, a lot of tyre shops just chuck the pressure gauges in the tool box or toss it on the floor, this can affect its readings.

I just put two new steer tyres on one of mine on Friday, sent it for alignment Monday and the tyres had 94/95psi in them when they were supposed to have been inflated to 105psi, left uncorrected that’s thousands of miles of tyre wear and wasted fuel up in smoke, all for the sake of a few minutes with an accurate pressure gauge.

Own Account Driver:
If it’s just on the one side probably worn kingpin or bearing but would’ve thought you’d know about it if it was the bearing.

Ignore this I just glanced at the first picture and assumed it had just worn heavily on the inside edge.

Mazzer2:

the maoster:

Michelin used to recommend 120-125 psi front, 105 psi mid axle,85-90 psi drive, for tractor units,7.5 tonne was 103 psi front 75-85 psi rear.Used to run 120 psi for Bridgestone front steers and 105-110 psi rear.Our Dennis dustcarts up here run 125 psi front 110 psi rear 120 psi on the tridem third axle.

Pressure is dependant on weight, on a 7.5ton axle you should run at least 110psi, because of the 5th wheel position on my truck I can only get my front axle up to 5ton max, so I run them at 105psi, which is on the high side for that amount of load, I’ve tinkered about with the pressures and used a digital infrared thermometer to check the temperature after a couple of hours running and 105psi was my magic number. That was the point where the temperature evened out, below that they ran hotter the lower the psi, above that there was a marginal decrease.

I picked up the temperature gauge for $20 so thought I’d experiment with it, unfortunately due to awful road surfaces my tyres end up coming off prematurely because of misalignment, the two I put on last Friday replaced a pair that knocked the shoulders out in less than a week, one minute they were fine, the next scrap!

I only use Michelin too, so it’s an expensive hobby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It looks as though you’ve been driving on that.

Eric Rambler:
It looks as though you’ve been driving on that.

Lol aye a few k’s clocked up on it :smiley:

Also bear in mind that in this heat and with constant running those tyres will be getting pretty hot.
As a consequence, as hot air expands, the pressures will go up.

As an example.
My track car runs at 28psi HOT.
Cold they can be as low as 15psi.

I know its not the same application, but you get the drift.