C + E licence query

Hi,
I passed my HGV 3 test in approx 1974 and stopped driving for a living in 1983 and allowed my licence to expire and understood that I had lost the entitlement to drive a HGV.
I recently decided to take up driving again and applied for a provisional licence to take my C test and was delighted to find that when my new licence arrived from DVLA I already had the C entitlement. I also have an entitlement for a CE, but it has a code 102. I understand that I can therefore not drive an Artic, but I can drive vehicles with a draw bar.
Can anyone confirm whether I am correct. It would be great to be able to drive a draw bar vehicle and get some experience prior to taking my full C+E test.

Ernie

Hello Ernie and Welcome to TruckNet.

Yes you are correct in assuming that the 102 code is for drawbar trailers only.
Other than that, I’m of no help at all. Somebody with a brain will be along soon with more info and advice.

Best of luck
Kate

FloridaErn:
Hi,
I passed my HGV 3 test in approx 1974 and stopped driving for a living in 1983 and allowed my licence to expire and understood that I had lost the entitlement to drive a HGV.
I recently decided to take up driving again and applied for a provisional licence to take my C test and was delighted to find that when my new licence arrived from DVLA I already had the C entitlement. I also have an entitlement for a CE, but it has a code 102. I understand that I can therefore not drive an Artic, but I can drive vehicles with a draw bar.
Can anyone confirm whether I am correct. It would be great to be able to drive a draw bar vehicle and get some experience prior to taking my full C+E test.
Ernie

This is one of those wierd things :open_mouth: You can take your C+E test in a wagon+drag which will entitle you to drive an artic. This means that you are one of those lucky people who can practise on your own in the type of vehicle that you could take your test in :exclamation:
My advice would be to get some professional intruction as to what the DSA require from you on test because although you can handle the vehicle in “real life” it may not be the “DSA way”.
PS I would recommend that you take at least a one day assessment with an instructor in an artic if you pass in a W+D.

Hi, thanks for the replies.
I’m confused, can I take a CE W+D test even though I already have the CE (102) entitlement, I thought I would have to take a test in an Artic? Already taken some tuition in an Artic.

FloridaErn:
I’m confused, can I take a CE W+D test

There is only one C+E test and you can take it in either a wag and drag or an artic. Passing driving either type of vehicle will give you full C+E entitlement.

Coffeeholic:

FloridaErn:

There is only one C+E test and you can take it in either a wag and drag or an artic. Passing driving either type of vehicle will give you full C+E entitlement.

Whats your opinion on this Coffee - it does seem to me to be a daft state of affairs

Thanks for info.

I think I may try for some agency work driving W+D and get a bit of experience before taking test. For the last 19 years I have been an ADI (car driving instructor), and still enjoy it most of the time, but I fancy a change, and it’s now or never.

FloridaErn:
Thanks for info.

I think I may try for some agency work driving W+D and get a bit of experience before taking test. For the last 19 years I have been an ADI (car driving instructor), and still enjoy it most of the time, but I fancy a change, and it’s now or never.

AH! as an ADI you KNOW what the DSA want so you are definitely one step ahead of the game :smiley: :smiley:
I should have taken a look at your profile :blush: :blush:

Yes I certainly know what the DSA want, but I don’t want to lower the tone of this forum by swearing!!!

Unfortunately, I live in Wakefield, which has one of the lowest pass rates in the country, both for cars and LGV. There was a very nice examiner at Wakefield LGV centre, but unfortunately, he is off sick and i don’t think he will be returning, so we are left with a rather grumpy individual.

FloridaErn:
Yes I certainly know what the DSA want, but I don’t want to lower the tone of this forum by swearing!!!.

I KNOW what you mean :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I live in Wakefield, which has one of the lowest pass rates in the country, both for cars and LGV. There was a very nice examiner at Wakefield LGV centre, but unfortunately, he is off sick and i don’t think he will be returning, so we are left with a rather grumpy individual.

You are most welcome to keep the grumpy one :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

FloridaErn wrote:
Yes I certainly know what the DSA want, but I don’t want to lower the tone of this forum by swearing!!!.

I KNOW what you mean

Agree with you both all the way on that one!

I do agree that it is ludicrous that someone holding a licence for W&D can take training and pass the test in the vehicle he already holds the licence for - in order to be legally allowed to drive a vehicle (Artic) that he has never tried driving… But thats the DSA for you :unamused: :unamused:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

FloridaErn:

Whats your opinion on this Coffee - it does seem to me to be a daft state of affairs

Haven’t really thought about it but it doesn’t bother me unduly.

Here’s another strange one for you - this time a C1+E licence question.

If you passed your car test before 1997, you will have on your licence C1+E (restriction 101) entitlement on it. This restricts you to drive up to a MAM of 8.25t.

Someone told me that if you passed a C test this entitlement was automatically upgraded to a MAM of 12t (the maximum allowed at C1+E) but it turns out he was wrong. Was also told elsewhere that I would have to pass a test at C+E before driving these vehcles.

But I’ve found out that all somebody with restricted entitlement needs to do to get this upgrade is pass a C1+E test as having a full licence automatically counts as a provisional. The test vehicle is only 6t MAM (4t prime mover + 2t trailer) so no L plates needed here either!

This is the tricky part (please pull me up if I’m wrong!). I understand that if one wishes to take things further, then you would have to have a medical and apply for a provisional LGV entitlement.

As according to the regulations Class C starts at >3.5t (not 7.5t as is so mistakenly believed), would passing a C1+E test allow you to progress straight to C+E without having to pass a C test - subject to medical of course?

Not that I intend doing it this way of course…!

SuperLez:
Here’s another strange one for you - this time a C1+E licence question.

If you passed your car test before 1997, you will have on your licence C1+E (restriction 101) entitlement on it. This restricts you to drive up to a MAM of 8.25t.

Someone told me that if you passed a C test this entitlement was automatically upgraded to a MAM of 12t (the maximum allowed at C1+E) but it turns out he was wrong. Was also told elsewhere that I would have to pass a test at C+E before driving these vehcles.

But I’ve found out that all somebody with restricted entitlement needs to do to get this upgrade is pass a C1+E test as having a full licence automatically counts as a provisional. The test vehicle is only 6t MAM (4t prime mover + 2t trailer) so no L plates needed here either!

This is the tricky part (please pull me up if I’m wrong!). I understand that if one wishes to take things further, then you would have to have a medical and apply for a provisional LGV entitlement.

As according to the regulations Class C starts at >3.5t (not 7.5t as is so mistakenly believed), would passing a C1+E test allow you to progress straight to C+E without having to pass a C test - subject to medical of course?

Not that I intend doing it this way of course…!

Crikey, who makes all this up?

Its obviously too late now, what with all the money and time spent thinking and implementing this rubbish, but couldnt all this just have been simplyfied into Car, Rigid and Artic tests. 3 different tests, no confusion?

Kinch:
couldnt all this just have been simplyfied into Car, Rigid and Artic tests. 3 different tests, no confusion?

It almost is that, with the addition of motorbikes and buses/coaches. Motorbike, Car, Truck, Truck with trailer and bus/coach. 5 tests. There are a couple of twists and extras but that is the main bit, pretty simple if you ask me.

SuperLez:
would passing a C1+E test allow you to progress straight to C+E without having to pass a C test - subject to medical of course?

No, you’ve got to have cat. C before doing the C+E test. In this scenario you’d only have cat. C1, the fact you’ve also got the full trailer entitlement is irrelevent.

mrpj:

SuperLez:
would passing a C1+E test allow you to progress straight to C+E without having to pass a C test - subject to medical of course?

No, you’ve got to have cat. C before doing the C+E test. In this scenario you’d only have cat. C1, the fact you’ve also got the full trailer entitlement is irrelevent.

Thought that I’d found something of a loophole in the regs!

OK, it’s not much of one - you would still have to pass a test in a lower class of vehicle - but I thought that this would have another way of getting the test pass required before going for C+E - only without the hassle of the theory test!

I thought that the grandfather rights rules would have counted for something here.

Coffeeholic:

Kinch:
couldnt all this just have been simplyfied into Car, Rigid and Artic tests. 3 different tests, no confusion?

It almost is that, with the addition of motorbikes and buses/coaches. Motorbike, Car, Truck, Truck with trailer and bus/coach. 5 tests. There are a couple of twists and extras but that is the main bit, pretty simple if you ask me.

Well this thread and several others that pop up suggest that its maybe not as simple as it could be.

Does anyone here actually have all the categories? a bit sad i know but my license a few months ago had just car entitlement, theres a small fleet on there since passing my C+E, im kind of proud about that.

Have a look here

And herealso.

Kinch:

Coffeeholic:

Kinch:

Well this thread and several others that pop up suggest that its maybe not as simple as it could be.

Does anyone here actually have all the categories? a bit sad i know but my license a few months ago had just car entitlement, theres a small fleet on there since passing my C+E, im kind of proud about that.

I trust that this fleet of entitlements are C and C+E.

Does it mention C1 and C1+ E also?