Licence

Hi all,

Question for the experts. I have a C+E licence. I got the +E under grandfather rights when it changed from old class 3. So how come people passing in a draw bar now can drive an artic but I can’t?

Because you will be limited by trailer weight I would assume, where as those passing wagon and drag will have a trailer heavier than that you are allowed to tow.

That’s my guess anyway being a relative young’un at 32yrs old never having known class 3

glenn2926:
Hi all,

Question for the experts. I have a C+E licence. I got the +E under grandfather rights when it changed from old class 3. So how come people passing in a draw bar now can drive an artic but I can’t?

They cannot legally drive an artic unless that took either the current CE test or already had the old HGV class 1

Maybe they missed the 102 code next to the CE on their licences

glenn2926:
Hi all,

Because you had the old ‘class 3’ you didn’t pass a test with a trailer of any kind.

When the UK changed the categories your ‘class 3’ became a ‘CE’ with a 102 restriction - which is drawbar trailers only. To be honest that is a pretty big bonus considering you only ever had a ‘class 3’ test which would have been in a relatively small 2 axle rigid and now they let you drive ANY size of rigid with just about ANY size of drawbar trailer -so you can’t really complain!!

These people who pass a test with a drawbar can indeed then drive a articulated combination (which I think is wrong) - but at least they took a test with a trailer and demonstrated competence.

I regularly come across people riving artics when they have a ‘102’ restriction and shouldn’t be. Somewhere along the way someone saw ‘CE’ on their licence and tod them they had a ‘class 1’

IIRC you could rent a truck and trailer for a test, go do the test and come out with an unrestricted C+E category.

htmldude:
IIRC you could rent a truck and trailer for a test, go do the test and come out with an unrestricted C+E category.

Providing its loaded with water IBCs and has extra mirrors for examiner etc etc

the new loaded rules means that using a non school set up for doing the test is becoming super rare

shep532:
These people who pass a test with a drawbar can indeed then drive a articulated combination (which I think is wrong) - but at least they took a test with a trailer and demonstrated competence

Understand completely where you are coming from but someone who is freshly passed in and only ever driven an Artic could be just as dangerous with a drawbar combination I guess? Handling characteristics are completely different.

James1985:
Understand completely where you are coming from but someone who is freshly passed in and only ever driven an Artic could be just as dangerous with a drawbar combination I guess? Handling characteristics are completely different.

I agree completely and think drawbar and articulated should be separate categories of some kind